New project for 2016 - Clean Ride 390

CleanRide

Hi all and thank you for having me.

we are just about to start a new project and thought here would be a good place to share it along with any feed back you may have.

Our aim is to build and race a RC390 here in Perth Western Australia. Our build will be a full nut and bolt rebuild as orange just won't work for us so please stay tuned and enjoy the show and we hope to finish with somthing very unique.

Roberto Rossi

=maz=

Country flag
Great news...the cat is out of the bag. :)

Can't wait to see how this develops. Knowing how fastidious and passionate you are about your bikes I can't wait to see it as it develops...and what developments you make available to the rest of us.

Best of luck mate...you know where I am, if I can help at all. :)

CleanRide

084_zpsobcu6ch5.jpg

Massive thanks to KTM Australia -

RR

Hi all and thank you for having me.

we are just about to start a new project and thought here would be a good place to share it along with any feed back you may have.

Our aim is to build and race a RC390 here in Perth Western Australia. Our build will be a full nut and bolt rebuild as orange just won't work for us so please stay tuned and enjoy the show and we hope to finish with somthing very unique.

Roberto Rossi

Wondering if there are any updates on this build? Looking forward to progress

CleanRide

Well it has been just over a month since we made our announcement with our little production Track Bike for the 2017 Production series, so we thought we would show you all the process in setting up our track bike along the way.
After a few weeks of planning the decision was made to send the bike to Corse Motorcycles in Bayswater for all our mechanical and tunning needs. The owner Anthony has an extensive background in working on not only bikes but within race teams, his CV reads along the lines of working with Factory World Super Bike teams like Ducati and Kawasaki in the World Superbike series all the way through to the Satellite Moto GP Ducati teams from the late 90s to 2006, so we know setting up this KTM will be well within their skills along with younger Anthony who has a way with tuning and setting up race bikes.
So after a base run with a massive thumping 38HP at the rear they got to work stripping the entire bike down so it can be rebuilt to race bike standards so it gives our young rider ( Yet to be confirmed) the best advantage to gain not only experience but to be safe and competitive from the get go.
If you’re in need of an expert team in all things 2 wheels you can not look past the skill and care Corse MC can offer you!
Stay tuned for our next update.

c_zpsjzn9ubh7.jpg

b_zpsri39oafo.jpg

b_zps4drbunu1.jpg

a_zpst0tbpfmq.jpg

CleanRide

Well last month we left off with our little KTM being stripped at Corse MC ready for a Race Rebuild but in the meantime we sent the Frame and Wheels off to the team at Motorcycle Panel & Paint for a bit of work.
So we dropped the frame and wheels off as we wanted to get rid of the Orange and go a Red but these guys had other plans so we gave them free reign to do their thing and what we ended up with was just amazing!

Enjoy the pics and stay tuned for the next instalment where all our go fast bits arrive in time to be fitted along with a little engine rebuild to fix the dreaded Head Gasket issues the KTM's are known for.

13691058_1790272891188359_6584134272961121750_o_zpszlj4kygu.jpg

13724985_1790273321188316_4954869436623253403_o_zpso5gaueyi.jpg

13667962_1790273534521628_7021828625627768044_o_zpsuk09qwxp.jpg

13708147_1790273401188308_5531800876992251029_o_zps66uultcz.jpg

13738132_1790273724521609_1117778688939504778_o_zpsynxv4kzd.jpg

13697272_1790274131188235_9074203619463988420_n_zps85lr2z1r.jpg

13735523_1790274844521497_2819479861637919398_o_zpsrszwxbwo.jpg

RR

CleanRide

**Rider Confirmed** 14 year old Callum O Brien
Firstly we would like to thank all those that put their hand up to ride for us, we wish we had a ride for all of you and you made our job very hard!
After deep consideration and meetings with the team the decision was made and extended to Callum O Brien
We would like to officially welcome 14 year old Callum O Brien to Clean Ride Racing and a big congratulation to him and his family who got him so far!
Callum has been racing in the junior racing series for the last few years progressing from 150cc 4 Strokes to 80cc 2 Stokes and has secured a number of podiums and victories, we wanted to help out someone that just could not make it to the next step and we were so pleased to not only meet Callum and his family but to hear of their passion and desire to progress into the Production Series and learn from the bottom up. 2017 will be a great year of learning for not only Callum but Clean Ride Racing as we debut our KTM RC390
We would like to also take this opportunity to thank the following Key Sponsors as without there help we could not have progressed so far!
Frichot and Frichot lawyers
Corse Motorcycles
Motorcycle Panel & Paint
SC Project
Badger Racing
Rated R
Savage Motorcycles
Race Works
Tyga Perfomance
Kaneg
Elf Oils
Stay tuned for the next update as we start the build up and set up!

018_zpsfksqrjre.jpg

007_zpsdbdfrryu.jpg

022_zpsb9wxcfgr.jpg

callum%20racing_zpsi4micpml.jpg

RR

CleanRide

Big question I have now is have we done our money on choosing a KTM?

The bike has done 40KM and we have stripped the engine down, milled the head as it was out, added new head bolts and new Gaskets from COM Bikes over in the states...

I am starting to regret going the KTM as I have seen other members do exactly the same thing to have their motors blow after 30Mins.

Is this a Rev Limit Issue and will reducing the Rev Limit help at all?

I want to give our rider the best we can and having a motor blow every 30 mins is not what we want at all.

RR

Ausracer

Hi Cleanride,

Will watch the progress with interest, are you going to race in the production class, or modify the bike so its not production?

KTMGene390

Big question I have now is have we done our money on choosing a KTM?

The bike has done 40KM and we have stripped the engine down, milled the head as it was out, added new head bolts and new Gaskets from COM Bikes over in the states...

I am starting to regret going the KTM as I have seen other members do exactly the same thing to have their motors blow after 30Mins.

Is this a Rev Limit Issue and will reducing the Rev Limit help at all?

I want to give our rider the best we can and having a motor blow every 30 mins is not what we want at all.

RR

Nice progress! Sorry if all this is familiar to you:

IMHO, using a thinner head gasket and milling the head will raise the compression ratio (a few thousands cut won't effect much, but over 5 thous will) which will also raise the fuel octane requirements to prevent ping/detonation. Another way, slightly more reliable of achieving the same effect as a thinner head gasket alone, would be to mill the head the difference the thinner gasket offers, then use either the stock gasket (probably unreliable) or an aftermarket higher quality gasket the same thickness as stock. This will also raise the compression ratio, but not as much as combining a thinner gasket and milling the head.

Having a good air fuel ratio, 13:1-13.5:1 across the RPM range will keep excessive heat down to a minimum. Also, compressing the same amount of air into a smaller space with a higher CR will generate more heat too. Ignition timing is a crucial factor as well. Another overlooked precaution is checking the piston to valve clearance especially after milling the head/thinner gasket. Unfortunately, the stock cooling system is not the best. I would use Engine Ice, SPAL puller fan & 1.6 bar radiator cap. Make sure the radiator hose clamps are tight as the better radiator cap means the pressure will try to escape elsewhere in the system. I would check the water propeller shaft bolt as well.

The stock valve train will not support reliably more than 10,250 RPM redline. Upgraded spring kit, probably not race legal is required for higher redlines. Reducing the stock redline would be a disadvantage requiring taller gearing to get the same speed in each gear. The motor will not have the torque to pull as effectively, reducing acceleration out of corners.