pcv and air box mod vs just air box

simpletty

Country flag
How much difference has anyone noticed with the pcv and air box/fitler vs just the air box mod and the filter. My bike does not surge or stumble and has really given no issues other than it stalled two times at idle since new. Seems to pull hard to the rev limiter and has lots of power for a single, but want to gauge opinions on the whole upgrade. I do have the akra pipe and latest tune as well. I have to do the suspension upgrade, and want to decide which to do first

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
You are going to be running VERY lean with the airbox/filter mod having been performed and not using the PCv to fix your air/fuel mixture. Contact Chad at Commonwealth, and they can set you up with the PCv and the correct maps for your tune. When you are ready to do the suspension, give me a ring and we can set you up with whatever option you want to go with. In general, I recommend suspension (and brakes) upgrades always before tune/power upgrades. Some of this might depend on what your weight is tho. If you are 140# or less, in gear, then the stock suspension setup can work for you until you start pushing the bike faster. If you are over that weight, the amount of need for the suspension work goes up quickly. I tip the scales at 220#, so suspension updates were NOT an "optional update" and were needed ASAP as once I started pushing the bike hard and fast, it got REALLY squirrely under me REALLY fast. There's a REASON I developed the steering damper kit. LOL

simpletty

Country flag
I agree the suspension would be great for a 75lb person. I sort of jumped the gun on the air box mod. Guess I should get the PCV up and running as soon as possible. I'll get on the rear shock right after that

D

Deleted member 452

I ran the open air box W/DNA Race filter and Akra map for a couple weeks before installing a PCV W/map from Chad Wells @ ktmperformance.com. Midrange was painfully lean so I can't imagine how bad it would be with the stock (non-Akra) map. The PCV W/Chad's map transformed the bike with an open airbox and I can't recommend it enough!!! Throttle tip in & steady cruising are as smooth as butter and the midrange is significantly stronger. The dealer thought I had changed gearing on my bike when they test rode it after some service work because it accelerated so much better than stock ;)