pcv issues out of box

simpletty

Country flag
installed the pcv and immediately on startup cel flashing code 12 and cooling fan running .... not impressed at all with this

simpletty

Country flag
Or it's possibly 21. It's 2 quick flashes and one long. I'm taking out the PCV and see what happens. Bike worked perfectly fine before this was installed. Simply not happy at all with this

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Step away for a few, have a beer or a breath and relax a bit. It's probably something simple, maybe a connection? We know your frustration but don't shoot it just yet!

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
One long two short is a 12, coolant temp sensor error which makes sense if the fan runs continuously. It is not the power commanders fault. Sounds like you might have disturbed or left something loose in your workings. I have installed and sold TONS of PCV's no issues yet. Is the coolant temp sensor plugged in on the rear off cylinder under intake boot?

Mr Bean

Flash code 21 is engine control relay - switch-off delay, but that is 2 long and 1 short. None of the error codes in the book start with short flashes. They all have the long flash listed first

Fasteddy

Country flag
so with the PCV removed does the cooling fan come on immediately when turning key on?
does fuel pump do precharge run up?

simpletty

Country flag
key on fuel pump runs, bike fires up and runs, cel starts flashing and immediately after start up cooling fan runs. And then the display says side stand down and its up....so now i cant even ride it to the dealer.....its a great trailer queen. Ktm should be embarrassed by the amount of issues they have with this bike. If I had discovered this forum before i bought the bike, it would have stayed right on the dealer showroom floor. 671 km, and nothing but troubles from the day I took it home. Now its compounded to the point of not being able to drive. Our season here is short and knowing how long it was in last time I may as well give up on seeing it back for a month. So enough of my rant, the good feeling is now gone from owning this bike and it really has been one huge disappointment. If anyone has any insight as to what is going on let me know..

stevieboy

Country flag
Have you been in contact with the vendor you bought it from? I would be interested in the amount of support you were able to get from them. I bought my RC thinking it would be nice to be able to ride without having to worry about breakdowns, since it is new, Now I ride with the nagging feeling that somewhere there is a failure ready to leave me stranded or worse. My dealer does not seem overly interested in the bike now that it is off their floor (going on two months waiting for the ergo saddle). On the plus side I have refrained from buying all the extras I normally would so I don't end up with a REALLY expensive lawn ornament. I am seriously looking at going back to the FZR400's that have never given me any trouble other than routine maintenance on an almost thirty year old bike.

Ryanthegreat1

Almost sounds like a ground is disconnected. When you removed the tank and pulled the wire harness out of the stock ECU did you also disconnect the ground to the frame to give yourself more play on the main harness?

simpletty

Country flag
Ground wire off main loom by tank was not removed. Actually tightened it because I thought the same. All bases covered and checked more than once. Thanks for the input though. I've pretty much ruled out everything since I went over it for two plus hours last night. Looked at each area I was in and traced wiring to sensors. There's not much to check compared to a car, that's what I do all day btw. So I have requested chad to map a new PCV then test it on a bike before sending it out to me. I'm returning the faulty unit today.

simpletty

Country flag
PCV passed testing. Not sure why Ecu on bike has failed. Chad verified the unit works on a duke 390. Set me up with another h it and out of courtesy the thinner head gasket. My dealer said its burning oil now. 417 miles on bike. I'm happy with the service from chad and my dealer but I'm done with this bike. I don't trust it so shortly there will be parts for sale. Thanks again to chad from commonwealth

simpletty

Country flag
KTM is refusing to pay warranty of parts. Dealer has determined the cause of the ECU failure was the power commander. Chad wells says the unit tested fine on his bikes, but still had no explanation as to why 10 minutes prior to the install mine was working perfectly fine. Seems the only factor that changed was the power commander installation. I guess I will have to go after dyno jet themselves. ALSO internet google search hits are many when it comes to power commanders causing problems. I have since refused the replacement pcv and the bike is still at the dealer awaiting repair. The outcome will be up in the air and im sure dynojet will win. But buyer beware, a shitty piggyback controller that is fooling a 32bit ecu can cause problems.

KTMPerformance

All we can do is lay out the facts, we cannot make assumptions about what happened during installation.

We have sold 57 Power Commanders for the RC390, and Hundreds for other motorcycles. This is the first time we have ever had a claim of this sort. We took the original back and tested it on a brand new 390. Works perfect. We talked to Dynojet about it and they say that even if there was an issue with the PCV, it is incapable of taking out ECU.

We can say with a very high level of certainty that the neither us nor the Power Commander was at fault. But again, we cannot make assumptions about what could have happened during installation or if there was an underlying issue with the bike that only revealed itself after the installation.

simpletty

Country flag
Everyone can make assumptions about the install....a monkey could have figured out how to install the thing. Connectors only reach and connect to certain spots and following the video that was posted by dyno jet which included wiring tracers and connector locations in the video was an added step to ensure correct installation. I am a certified mechanic and have apprenticed at a Yamaha dealer in my past. Installation was not the issue. As far as an underlying issue with the bike, there wasn't any prior.
It ran flawless and had no issues with sidestand problems or cooling fans. The temperature display was showing several bars before the install and as soon as the key was turned on after the install-no bars on temp display-cel flashing and cooling fan running full speed. SO as far as your bikes testing fine I cant speculate on it because I did not witness the testing, I've never faulted KTM performance once for the issue, I still believe it is the power commander that has caused the issue. And as far as dynojet saying that a power commander is incapable of taking out an ecu, I am going to disagree, fooling an ecu with a "smart box" involves more than just a few adjustments-a small spike in a vref supply can pop a diode in a pcm very quickly. It may have been just one time and that was enough to make it break. But :I agree to disagree and we will have to leave this at that. Its too high of a suspect in the list to deny. Its a simple case of reasoning, bike was 100% ok prior, only change made--PCV--bike fails with key on immediately after. Only variable in the equation was the PCV so i have to blame it. The installation was checked and re-checked with wire tracers, connector locations and video instructions. The PCV has only a certain length of wiring that basically gives just enough to plug each connector to the proper point and sensor. I am done with the thread, the bike and any further complaints to KTM performance, you sell the PCV and are not responsible for its manufacture and in no account do I hold you responsible. I thank you for your help and unfortunately I will not accept the replacement unit and head gasket as promised. I have little confidence in the PCV and would rather run without it.

simpletty

Country flag
As suspected final confirmation today was made by the dealer after a month and a half that the ECU was the cause of the electrical issues. Im from the old school of thought that if something is working before you mess with it and then right after you are done messing with it, it breaks, well probably broke because you messed with it. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out, denial is the first step to acceptance, hopefully dynojet gets it, but doubt in a million years anyone will accept fault. Seems pretty simple to me though....100s of units sold, not all pcv's can be fault free. But ill stop speculating and live with the fact Im right and others do agree with me that I am. Just happy to finally get the bike back to ride