Plasti Dip your 390?

Turkery

Anyone here used Plasti Dip on their bike? Mine has some bumps and bruises in the OEM stickers. Considering changing the color up by using Plasti Dip so she feels not so... used... to me :rolleyes:

Post up some pictures if you have them! Grabbing ideas on what scheme I should go with, not changing the orange wheels or frame so I need a color or two that will play nice with that!

Last edited:

unicorn_violence

were you thinking on just plasti dipping the white fairings? let me know how it goes. if you do, i say go black. i'm debating plasti dipping the wheels and frame a different color, instead of powder coating and making it permanent.

big_sur

I dipped my race bike light blue. It's held up fairly well except for the rear edge of the fairing where my knee occasionally touches and has worn it away. Also, as a bonus, it protects the plastic surprisingly well if you crash.

2016-06-19%2016.30.07.jpg

unicorn_violence

I dipped my race bike light blue. It's held up fairly well except for the rear edge of the fairing where my knee occasionally touches and has worn it away. Also, as a bonus, it protects the plastic surprisingly well if you crash.

2016-06-19%2016.30.07.jpg

those are participation trophies right?:cool:

simpletty

Country flag
Plasti dip vs wrap

those are participation trophies right?:cool:

I highly suggest finding a guy who can do vinyl wrap. Plasti dip is ok if its done right, but not very resistant to wear. I have a guy that's an absolute genius when it comes to doing wraps, car dealerships hire him to do high end stuff all the time and in the past has wrapped 2 vehicles for me. I am going to take the rc to him and let him have free range on it. He even can wrap wheels as well and they look perfect

Turkery

were you thinking on just plasti dipping the white fairings? let me know how it goes. if you do, i say go black. i'm debating plasti dipping the wheels and frame a different color, instead of powder coating and making it permanent.

Thinking of doing pieces that are currently white, in a pearl white with a blue interference and making everything that is currently black/grey in a dark dark blue pearl. Will definitely update as I progress. Gotta fix the bike first!

https://www.dipyourcar.com/products/steel-blue-pearl?variant=5631874692
https://www.dipyourcar.com/collections/dip-pearls/products/blue-interference

I highly suggest finding a guy who can do vinyl wrap. Plasti dip is ok if its done right, but not very resistant to wear. I have a guy that's an absolute genius when it comes to doing wraps, car dealerships hire him to do high end stuff all the time and in the past has wrapped 2 vehicles for me. I am going to take the rc to him and let him have free range on it. He even can wrap wheels as well and they look perfect

I have a professional spray booth and spray equipment available to me. I like the idea of putting on a very thick layer to plasti with a compressed air spray gun, think I can get it thick enough to avoid wear issues... hopefully. I think a vinyl wrap may be too thin and show the small gouges in the fairings more than a layer of plasti?

Turkery

Did you use aerosol or a spray gun? Looks good!

big_sur

Thanks, I used the DYC spray gun. It did a really good job. I'm not a pro by any means and it came out immaculate.

unicorn_violence

Turkery i would mention if your gonna dip the tank, install some tank grips once the dip dries. that way your knees don't rub the dip off.

the stuff is pretty bullet proof though. i had it on my jeeps rims, grill guards, and headlight rings for over a year and it held up pretty well. even after some jeep hooliganism like this:

NERhcTP.jpg

8owd4P0.jpg

Last edited:

simpletty

Country flag
turkery i would mention if your gonna dip the tank, install some tank grips once the dip dries. That way your knees don't rub the dip off.

The stuff is pretty bullet proof though. I had it on my jeeps rims, grill guards, and headlight rings for over a year and it held up pretty well. Even after some jeep hooliganism like this:

nerhctp.jpg

8owd4p0.jpg
now that looks like fun

Turkery

Turkery i would mention if your gonna dip the tank, install some tank grips once the dip dries. that way your knees don't rub the dip off.

the stuff is pretty bullet proof though. i had it on my jeeps rims, grill guards, and headlight rings for over a year and it held up pretty well. even after some jeep hooliganism like this:

Ahhh makes me miss my Heep! Good looking out on the tank! I probably wouldn't have thought of that until I wore some of the dip off. I have used it before in aerosol form to varying degrees of success. I will be purchasing it by the gallon and using a spray gun for this project though, want to get a smooth and glossy finish.

I guess i was more curious to see anyone's custom paint or vinyl setups. its hard to find two colors that both go well with KTM orange... aside from white and black, of course.

unicorn_violence

its hard to find two colors that both go well with KTM orange... aside from white and black, of course.

thats where i struggle as well. any different colored rc's that ive seen had the rims and frame also painted different colors. its tough to color match when all that orange is on the bike (not that i'm complaining:cool:). if your doing the spray kit you could go all out and paint the rims and frame different color as well, like black or high viz. if you don't like it its still reversible!

the heeps are a blast! Colorado is a perfect place to have one:)

Last edited:

simpletty

Country flag
after giving it some thought, I agree the plasit dip route is probably the quickest and most cost effective way to get the look changed. I have seen a few trucks done here in it and it must have not been very good quality, it seemed to easily come off. Im sure it was done with the least amount of material used, and havent seen it on a bike yet. It does come off easy enough as well so a quick look change is also quite easy, vs vinyl i think may be more of a pain to remove. Once you do it show us the results pls
If you want to dress up your ride, street only, i found a couple examples of wrapped bikes...the possibilities are endless..13151209_852678418192905_1163170055_n.jpg11244608_916753468363089_1550602675_n.jpg

from this
thumbs_ssw-seven-star-wraps-vehicle-wrap-wrapping-cost-price-vinyl-paint-protection-film-uk-west.jpg

to this

ssw-seven-star-wraps-copy.jpg

that is the sceme i am going to get my 390 done in

Last edited:

Turkery

after giving it some thought, I agree the plasit dip route is probably the quickest and most cost effective way to get the look changed. I have seen a few trucks done here in it and it must have not been very good quality, it seemed to easily come off. Im sure it was done with the least amount of material used, and havent seen it on a bike yet. It does come off easy enough as well so a quick look change is also quite easy, vs vinyl i think may be more of a pain to remove. Once you do it show us the results pls
If you want to dress up your ride, street only, i found a couple examples of wrapped bikes...the possibilities are endless..

Oh I like the camo! Definitely trying to keep cost and time down. I've already been off my bike a month and the parts are adding up to get her back on the road. Thinking to either bring in pearl white and a pearl orange for the creamsicle look, or the white with the deep blue. Probably the blue - already saw someone do the creamsicle look with their 390.

Love that scheme, its beautiful!

Ride and Drive

Hey guys, so I was reading through the thread (and I just registered for this site btw so please go easy on me lol). I've been thinking about dipping the inside of my windshield, and one day I went out to do it, however, there are two screws hidden behind the front corners of the fairings. I got all the other screws out just fine, but the last two I felt would be impossible to take out without first taking off the fairings...and I'm not about to waste my time doing that just for some paint (yes i know plasti dip is not paint).

Ride and Drive

I definitley have to dip the fairings now...
If you want to dress up your ride, street only, i found a couple examples of wrapped bikes...the possibilities are endless..View attachment 2738View attachment 2739

from this
View attachment 2740

to this

View attachment 2741

that is the sceme i am going to get my 390 done in

MrGrody

Hey guys, so I was reading through the thread (and I just registered for this site btw so please go easy on me lol). I've been thinking about dipping the inside of my windshield, and one day I went out to do it, however, there are two screws hidden behind the front corners of the fairings. I got all the other screws out just fine, but the last two I felt would be impossible to take out without first taking off the fairings...and I'm not about to waste my time doing that just for some paint (yes i know plasti dip is not paint).
I just recently dipped the inside of my windscreen. Those two bolts your referring to I didn't remove the plastics. Just flexed it a tad and my t handle fit thru. Came right off. Dipped it with a few coats and it looks way better.

Turkery

Here is my final result! A few areas that could have came out better, but it was my first time using dip in a HVLP gun.... Pearl white and a deeeeep pearl blue. Hard to capture both with my phone, but it looks great in the sun!

IMG_1449.jpgIMG_1450.jpgIMG_1451.jpgIMG_1452.jpg