Race tyre experiences

I will ignore the red herring (question about oil) and give my two cents. I raced my RC390 on the Pirelli tires as they were recommended to be the best lightweight class race tire in 2015.They worked great and lasted a season. I was so pleased I put a second set on for the next race season. In 2016, the spec lightweight tire being sold here for our national series was the Dunlop Alpha and it was not well liked by any of the lightweight class racers. Michelin had no sport/race tire in the size range and Bridgestone had just brought out the R11. My teammate switched to the R11 and was pleased with it. For 2017 Dunlop brought out the lightweight Q3,all of the lightweight class racers I talked to said it was a big improvement over the Alpha but not as good as theR11 or Pirelli.. For 2018, Dunlop brought out the Q3+ lightweight class tire. I put a set on to try them as the Q3+ set was $200.00 cheaper than the Pirelli and found they worked almost as well as the Pirellis I was used to (like 99% as good). The other up side to the Q3+ is that they do not need as much tire warmer time as the other brands. Michelin now have a sport/race tire in the size for our lightweight bikes but in the expensive class along with the Pirellis. My teammate has stuck with the B'Stones and goes every bit as quik as I do. This year a new racer with a 2018 RC390 arrived and smoked all of us using the sport Continentals. SO my conclusion is for 2019 all of the major tire brands have a sport/race tire that works well and you could win on it. Note here: I did not get any tire sponsorship so I have no axe to grind. parillaguy

simpletty

Country flag
I will ignore the red herring (question about oil) and give my two cents. I raced my RC390 on the Pirelli tires as they were recommended to be the best lightweight class race tire in 2015.They worked great and lasted a season. I was so pleased I put a second set on for the next race season. In 2016, the spec lightweight tire being sold here for our national series was the Dunlop Alpha and it was not well liked by any of the lightweight class racers. Michelin had no sport/race tire in the size range and Bridgestone had just brought out the R11. My teammate switched to the R11 and was pleased with it. For 2017 Dunlop brought out the lightweight Q3,all of the lightweight class racers I talked to said it was a big improvement over the Alpha but not as good as theR11 or Pirelli.. For 2018, Dunlop brought out the Q3+ lightweight class tire. I put a set on to try them as the Q3+ set was $200.00 cheaper than the Pirelli and found they worked almost as well as the Pirellis I was used to (like 99% as good). The other up side to the Q3+ is that they do not need as much tire warmer time as the other brands. Michelin now have a sport/race tire in the size for our lightweight bikes but in the expensive class along with the Pirellis. My teammate has stuck with the B'Stones and goes every bit as quik as I do. This year a new racer with a 2018 RC390 arrived and smoked all of us using the sport Continentals. SO my conclusion is for 2019 all of the major tire brands have a sport/race tire that works well and you could win on it. Note here: I did not get any tire sponsorship so I have no axe to grind. parillaguy

Excellent write up. It goes to show you that its not the tire, in most cases.

I donÂ’t assume that Dunlop makes the best tires on the planet. Obviously I said that I run pirelli tires because I prefer them over the old alpha 13 which were not a good tire. I had stated that the lightweight track record is held by a guy who runs the new DunlopÂ’s. I tried to explain that you took the statement made out of context. I doubt it was meant in any way other than sarcastically. IÂ’m not interested in your resume or area of expertise, I donÂ’t advertise mine here but I do try to offer help from having experience on the bike on the track. Experience from working on the bike mechanically, what works for me may not work for you etc. I own and race 2 that I have converted into race duty alone. One for dry and one is strictly for the rain.
I donÂ’t claim to know what will happen if Dunlop makes a slick. I hope itÂ’s better than the pirelli. Club level racing is not motogp, or wsbk itÂ’s just club racing where we donÂ’t need a multitude of tire levels. We need one decent one that works well enough for the skill level. The guy who runs the DunlopÂ’s is probably one of the best up and coming racers IÂ’ve seen in a decade and has talent, enough so that he was selected for the British talent cup. I donÂ’t have his skill, heÂ’s better than everyone and uses the DunlopÂ’s. He would beat me on pirellis, he would beat me on the crappy alpha 13 tires IÂ’m sure of it. I think we have beat this horse enough. ItÂ’s so dead and tired. LetÂ’s agree on that

Cut it out...despite you're vast range of experience....you keep saying stuff which simply makes things more difficult for people to understand tyres...you keep perpetuating myths that you have learned in your own little sand box with possible agreement from your fan club. If you want to stay closed minded to different concepts and ideas from someone else then quite possibly that's why you get beat. The fact that you are not interested in anyone else's credentials said a lot about you.Yes I was a tyre technician for a long time and I learned heaps of things from tyre engineers, who by the way are actually mostly chemists, but they are the only true experts. Everything you hear from resellers or tyre technicians, like me, is simply repeating what they either teach, pass on or instruct technicians to do or say. However the self taught tyre people are the worst because they don't understand the fundamentals of tyre grip, performance, application and all they do is see what's happening in their own sand pit and take it as gospel. So stuff I repeat is what they told me. That doesn't make me smarter than anyone else but like you if someone benefits from it then great.

One concept that you believe is that it doesn't matter what tyre a fantastic rider runs on he will still win. Do you really think that's true? What even up.against other riders of equal ability? So he's so good he's definitely going to win every race and win the British talent cup. Really?

A kid that comes from where I live and race and started racing here (as did a current MotoGP rider) just won the asian talent cup, the same series that last weekends Moto3 race winner won in his first ever event and who came third in the year before in the same series (beaten to first by his twin brother incidentally). The Australian kid that won this years asian cup won the australian supersport 300 series happily on a KTM RC390. He didn't win every race here either. No one here said that he was the most talented rider in 10 years. If I was out on track with him he would ride around the outside of me too.

But really what's wrong here is you think that "it's not the tyre in most cases". But that's where you are wrong. It is the tyre. You fail to understand how a tyre gets heat and that a fast rider generates far more heat than a slower rider ever does and that the slow rider needs softer compounds to improve his performance. So tyres do make a difference to individual riders even a write up you applauded here you fail to see the underlying reason. Even construction plays a part. A tyre construction at the front that gives rider more feel and confidence is of great benefit especially to average riders whereas a fast rider is quite happy to push the limits even if the front lets go every now and then. Our lap record holder says he almost crashes on every corner. I work with a young guy here that changed from dunlop alpha to pirelli and he unproved his breaking dramatically. He could trail break way up to the apex because he could feel the tyre. So at clun level and possibly even your state level a choice of compounds and construction can help close the field up for the average punter.

I posted up that article from Pirelli because most people don't understand the contradiction in front to rear compounds. For example, at on race track here the front guys run SC3's on the front and SC1s on the rear. Whereas the slower guys run sc1's on the front. The front guys say they like the feel and braking of the sc3.

Quite clearly the article tells you that heat is what makes the tyre work. Well, that's the point. Each person needs to be able to use a tyre that suits him or her.

In upper level racing its fine to have a control tyre because at this level they are all supposed to be able to change set up and adapt to conditions. Those that can't are at the back.

So I don't see the value of Dunlop arriving on the scene with only one compound to suit a whole range of riders,tracks and conditions in club level racing.Nor do I see the value of running a slick in a class where the rest of the world is running on DOT tyres. What it appears to be yet again is Dunlop making a tyre to dominate the class and increase sales, it's just a commercial exercise. That's what I said they do and it appears that that's what they are doing.

Barbagello has been closed to motorcycles following the death of my mate in 2016. I personally won't ride there again until significant change are made.
Collie is the only track currently licensed in WA for motorcycles and that is where I have been riding/racing since Chris passed away.
I'm not running at the front for a few different reasons, carrying 50kg more than the 16yr olds I'm racing against being one...I confident in my ability and can hold my own despite being fat and old.
I don't think you need to be winning races to give an opinion on products on the bike.
No I didn't say that you had to be an expert to give an opinion. I was just asking follow up questions to get an idea of what happening that's all. How the tyre works depends also on what the tyre runs on and how it generates heat etc I've never been to WA for racing so I don't know the surface characteristics and temp ranges etc. Like for example some tracks get greasy in mid afternoon did to uv etc so I was just interested in how things work for you.. Your opinion is valuable and adds information to the whole discussion if you can get to the underlying characteristics. however it appears that this disagreement with the forum bully is clouding the issue. anyway...

simpletty

Country flag
"One concept that you believe is that it doesn't matter what tyre a fantastic rider runs on he will still win. Do you really think that's true? What even up.against other riders of equal ability? So he's so good he's definitely going to win every race and win the British talent cup. Really?"

I am talking about club level racing, don't assume the level I am expressing is anywhere that of a world stage. I was saying the kid is fast, on any tire and would beat me hands down. I don't fail to understand how tires work, that's your assumption, I quite do have a good comprehension of the way it works. I didnt want to get into a pissing match about tires period. Who knows what dunlop is coming with for a slick, I dont know. What I am getting from this is very apparent, You don't like dunlop. Here is my assumption, you were fired from Dunlop as a tire tech and now you hate them.

Now isnt that just as absurd of making the assumption I have no clue how a tire gets heat or carcass design plays into the feedback and handling of a tire. This is worse than texting with your girlfriend, she doesnt get it when your being sarcastic with a text either.

You asked what tires people are running, all of them and for different reasons. Pick the one that suits you and work with it. I bet it wont be a dunlop slick...

"One concept that you believe is that it doesn't matter what tyre a fantastic rider runs on he will still win. Do you really think that's true? What even up.against other riders of equal ability? So he's so good he's definitely going to win every race and win the British talent cup. Really?"

I am talking about club level racing, don't assume the level I am expressing is anywhere that of a world stage. I was saying the kid is fast, on any tire and would beat me hands down. I don't fail to understand how tires work, that's your assumption, I quite do have a good comprehension of the way it works. I didnt want to get into a pissing match about tires period. Who knows what dunlop is coming with for a slick, I dont know. What I am getting from this is very apparent, You don't like dunlop. Here is my assumption, you were fired from Dunlop as a tire tech and now you hate them.

Now isnt that just as absurd of making the assumption I have no clue how a tire gets heat or carcass design plays into the feedback and handling of a tire. This is worse than texting with your girlfriend, she doesnt get it when your being sarcastic with a text either.

You asked what tires people are running, all of them and for different reasons. Pick the one that suits you and work with it. I bet it wont be a dunlop slick...

well tell us how a tyre gets heat.

simpletty

Country flag
well tell us how a tyre gets heat.

the sun or a small campfire if its raining..

dunlops are made of fairy dust and sharks teeth and that's why they don't need tire warmers, they are a bit of magic and have the bite into the tarmac like no other
. No doubt in slick form good for 5 seconds a lap

I am 100% correct again for the win!

the sun or a small campfire if its raining..

dunlops are made of fairy dust and sharks teeth and that's why they don't need tire warmers, they are a bit of magic and have the bite into the tarmac like no other
. No doubt in slick form good for 5 seconds a lap

I am 100% correct again for the win!

That's exactly what I would expect from you. You say you want to help people and yet you won't explain even the fundamentals of tyre performance. So far you have twisted things that i have said and behaved like a troll. All due to your ego.

I'm sure a lot of people here have no idea how a tyre actually generates footprint temperature and then loses it.. Why not help them?

I'm sure it will be fascinating.

simpletty

Country flag
That's exactly what I would expect from you. You say you want to help people and yet you won't explain even the fundamentals of tyre performance. So far you have twisted things that i have said and behaved like a troll. All due to your ego.

I'm sure a lot of people here have no idea how a tyre actually generates footprint temperature and then loses it.. Why not help them?

I'm sure it will be fascinating.

Tires are round and don’t have feet. I’m not sure what you mean.

But I’ll give it a shot.

Track tires get very hot due to tread flex and friction generated by rotational speed and by cornering and braking. The higher the load and the higher the speed, the hotter the tire will get. But that heat will not be distributed evenly. One tire may run hotter than the others, or one area of the contact patch may be hotter than another. If you can accurately measure tire temperatures and observe how those readings are distributed across the tire, you can adjust tire pressures and suspension to achieve improved performance. Different track layouts, more right than left, type of track surface etc dictate the use of an asymetrical tire in motogp. As a club racer we make a judgment on what we think will work for our riding style. Softer compound for better grip in colder temps, harder compound for hotter temps. There’s more to the tire choice than just ambient temps, some guys are easier on the front and a smoother rider allowing them to use a softer tire which in essence should provide more grip but may not hold up for the length of the race. Perfect example of that is simple. Zarco vs Marquez two very different styles and two different tire choices. Either can win and both have. But back to a club racer perspective, for me I choose a soft front and a hard rear, for quite a few reasons. I usually can get a whole season from one set of tires, being in a climate zone where temps can vary during the race season from 5 degrees c to over 30 the soft front works well and has a better working range than the hot, it gives good feedback and let’s me know when we are at the point of no return with a wiggle, whereas from past experience on the Dunlop there was zero warning with them. Plus with our particular track on a lightweight bike there are few hard braking zones and I find that the soft holds the heat well on all corners. We have 7 rh and 4 left hand corners. I found with the Dunlop on one particular left the front would always go, I’m going to assume it’s due to loss of heat since it’s the first left for at least a good 45 seconds. The pirelli has warned me on several occasions on that exact corner for the very same reason, it’s likely cooled down a few degrees. But being it’s a softer tire it’s working range is much greater translating into better grip. As for the rear using a harder compound a few reasons. Tire longevity, plus I’m a bigger guy and with my extra weight I can generate more heat in the rear. I like the carcass feel and feedback. I haven’t had any warning from the rear yet, possibly I’m smooth with the throttle, and have the suspension settings working well. I almost forgot to mention tire pressures, always check with your tire guy at the track, he will give you your hot temp tire pressure. It’s not rule of god to be exact on his psi, I generally am 28rear 30 front. That is the range the tires work best as far as carcass flex and grip. If you ever happen to look at a rear tire at full lean there is quite a large “flat” spot on the pavement aka contact patch. The bigger the patch the better the grip. Tire pressure plays a big factor along with the tire design in that contact patch That contact patch is where your heat is generated. I could go on but I think most of you have got what I’m saying.

im not a “tire engineer” I’m a guy who races bikes and am always looking to help others with questions. This is a forum where we try to do that. Taking others comments out of context and assuming they mean something they don’t is always a cause for misunderstandings. Mr Reacher, I don’t know you and who you are or what you’re about but you asked for advice on tires. We have it. You claim to be the expert so I don’t understand why you even asked? Belittling people with statements like you have won’t be gaining you friends here. Our vendors on the site are some of the nicest, smartest guys I’ve ever dealt with when it comes to these bikes. A few conversations with them and maybe you might have found that out. I don’t claim to know everything, but it seems to me you may think you do. This forum is about collective minds on a common goal, we take each other’s advice and use the knowledge from past experiences. We welcome open minds and opinions, I don’t like people who make assumptions about others before they have had a chance to look at what that person provides to the forum as a whole. You “appeared” here in what, sept this year asking for head gasket advice? Someone helped you didn’t they? So maybe let’s take a step back and take a deep breath and remember what this forum is about.

Last edited:
I got to give it to you for trying.

Honestly, you sound like a good bloke trying to help people out and really I will discontinue with this because I can see it's not fair.

thanks to the people that contributed. By all means, continue on but I can see I'm wasting my time and yours.

Last edited:

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Alright I will clean up the slight mess I made, yes I wasn't entirely on topic with my Dunny slick post but I am excited for them to come out and I really do feel they will change the game for ultra light bikes. That being said I currently run Dunlop Q3+'s for two reasons; 1 I prefer a stiffer carcass and the Pirelli Supercorsa squish just does not work with how I ride. I do think the Dunlops don't stick as well as the Pirelli but I feel its a minor difference and a sacrifice I am willing to make for a feel that I prefer. Reason 2 for the Q3+ is pricing and durability, I have seen significantly better life out of the Dunlops and they cost almost half of what a set of Supercorsas do. With all that being said I have not tried the Bridgestones and probably will not with Dunlops future offering coming. I hope I contributed more positively to this conversation and sorry to be difficult.

Tires are round and don’t have feet. I’m not sure what you mean.

But I’ll give it a shot.

Track tires get very hot due to tread flex and friction generated by rotational speed and by cornering and braking. The higher the load and the higher the speed, the hotter the tire will get. But that heat will not be distributed evenly. One tire may run hotter than the others, or one area of the contact patch may be hotter than another. If you can accurately measure tire temperatures and observe how those readings are distributed across the tire, you can adjust tire pressures and suspension to achieve improved performance. Different track layouts, more right than left, type of track surface etc dictate the use of an asymetrical tire in motogp. As a club racer we make a judgment on what we think will work for our riding style. Softer compound for better grip in colder temps, harder compound for hotter temps. There’s more to the tire choice than just ambient temps, some guys are easier on the front and a smoother rider allowing them to use a softer tire which in essence should provide more grip but may not hold up for the length of the race. Perfect example of that is simple. Zarco vs Marquez two very different styles and two different tire choices. Either can win and both have. But back to a club racer perspective, for me I choose a soft front and a hard rear, for quite a few reasons. I usually can get a whole season from one set of tires, being in a climate zone where temps can vary during the race season from 5 degrees c to over 30 the soft front works well and has a better working range than the hot, it gives good feedback and let’s me know when we are at the point of no return with a wiggle, whereas from past experience on the Dunlop there was zero warning with them. Plus with our particular track on a lightweight bike there are few hard braking zones and I find that the soft holds the heat well on all corners. We have 7 rh and 4 left hand corners. I found with the Dunlop on one particular left the front would always go, I’m going to assume it’s due to loss of heat since it’s the first left for at least a good 45 seconds. The pirelli has warned me on several occasions on that exact corner for the very same reason, it’s likely cooled down a few degrees. But being it’s a softer tire it’s working range is much greater translating into better grip. As for the rear using a harder compound a few reasons. Tire longevity, plus I’m a bigger guy and with my extra weight I can generate more heat in the rear. I like the carcass feel and feedback. I haven’t had any warning from the rear yet, possibly I’m smooth with the throttle, and have the suspension settings working well. I almost forgot to mention tire pressures, always check with your tire guy at the track, he will give you your hot temp tire pressure. It’s not rule of god to be exact on his psi, I generally am 28rear 30 front. That is the range the tires work best as far as carcass flex and grip. If you ever happen to look at a rear tire at full lean there is quite a large “flat” spot on the pavement aka contact patch. The bigger the patch the better the grip. Tire pressure plays a big factor along with the tire design in that contact patch That contact patch is where your heat is generated. I could go on but I think most of you have got what I’m saying.

im not a “tire engineer” I’m a guy who races bikes and am always looking to help others with questions. This is a forum where we try to do that. Taking others comments out of context and assuming they mean something they don’t is always a cause for misunderstandings. Mr Reacher, I don’t know you and who you are or what you’re about but you asked for advice on tires. We have it. You claim to be the expert so I don’t understand why you even asked? Belittling people with statements like you have won’t be gaining you friends here. Our vendors on the site are some of the nicest, smartest guys I’ve ever dealt with when it comes to these bikes. A few conversations with them and maybe you might have found that out. I don’t claim to know everything, but it seems to me you may think you do. This forum is about collective minds on a common goal, we take each other’s advice and use the knowledge from past experiences. We welcome open minds and opinions, I don’t like people who make assumptions about others before they have had a chance to look at what that person provides to the forum as a whole. You “appeared” here in what, sept this year asking for head gasket advice? Someone helped you didn’t they? So maybe let’s take a step back and take a deep breath and remember what this forum is about.

Ok I was going to be gracious and just leave it at your attempt to explain how heat was generated by a tyre. After reading that attempt I realised that you obviously mean well but you haven't got a clue. I felt that it was best not to antagonise you any further because I realised that it was pointless to even try nor did I want to embarrass you with question you can't answer. However, you posted up an attempt at the question I asked which I have to give you credit for because not many would even try but at least you had the guts to do that. the fact that it doesn't answer the question and is full of truths half trues and basically misleading statements all combines together says it all. Believe it or not but motor racing is all about mathematics, chemistry, engineering, physics, thermodynamics, aerodynamic electronics, computer science and research and development. It's a highly technical area and it's so easy to get fed poor information The basic issue is that you don't understand how a tyre generates heat at all and seems to be based on a half flat tyre on your trailer de-laminating.

You have obviously been here a long time and given quite a bit of information to people but judging by your attempt I think your best to stick to giving information not advise because technically gees....But based on your criteria because you have been here a long time you think you can bully me and demean me because I have only been here 5 minutes. You think that because I ask a question about head gaskets that I know nothing about anything. That's real logic for you.You want me to bow to your superiority. You have been sarcastic and narcissistic all the way through. So basically it's pointless arguing with you. You won't listen and you won't learn. All you want to do is tell. irrespective of what people on here think of me i think other may see you differently. The fact is that I have contacted quite a number of suppliers here and in fact bought things from them or will be buying things. However I fail to understand the benefit to anyone of a vendor making condescending remarks about people's intelligence.

Secondly, if you read, I said in my opening post that I had worked for one japanese tyre company and that even though I had tried different brands I had NO knowledge of blends or carcass construction of other brands which is the essence of how race tyres work.You will find that the real smart people in upper level racing know the blend numbers and the carcass case numbers eg. .https://motoamerica.com/2017/06/dun...ce-tire-allocation-on-sunday-at-road-america/. If you bother to ask your local tyre supplier might know and that gives you information about your tyre but if they don't it tells you something about your tyre supplier knowledge...doesn't it?

Thirdly, I did not ask for tyre advice. Go back to the opening post and read. I asked what people were running and what were their experiences. I am particularly interested in tyres and I want to know what people have on their KTM's. How they go...who are they up against...what other types are out there or around the world etc etc....Everything that any racer wants to know. As it happens Pirelli have an open information policy. Racers who have competed on the world stage in supersport 300 racing come back home and tell of new blends and carcasses that they are using overseas which we will see here soon. Pirelli make changes to the carcass which you don't even know about. It just looks and reads the same. Fortunately my tyre supplier and technician passes that info along. The sort of information that helps our local young talent to go overseas and perform. Why because they have already learned about the tyre characteristics.

These are but a few examples of how to have completely misconstrued, misrepresented and lacked understanding all throughout this thread. I could go on with every post you have made with it also being condescending, arrogant, flippant obtuse and basically being a bully.

Ironically, if you could be bothered to go searching on the net the information is out there that would have helped you . If you had not got all bent and twisted I would have passed on information that I have been taught. But that's a waste of time because you can't read and comprehend

Last edited:

simpletty

Country flag
I call this asking for advice

"Thirdly, I did not ask for tyre advice. Go back to the opening post and read. I asked what people were running and what were their experiences."

I never did assume once that you didn't have any knowledge about head gaskets, I actually was going to give you some advice about where to grab one but someone beat me to it. I was going to pass on some experience about the bike running hot, they all do, and ask some questions as to why you were replacing the head gasket, I also was going to commend you on the choice of the febur additional radiator and get some input about it from you as to how it is working. Currently I am developing a new rad design for the 390 to combat the heat issues and I think I may have a solution in the works to the head gasket issue but have not been able to do testing since its now winter here. I was wanting to share it with you, but now since apparently I haven't a clue on what makes heat in a tire. I'm afraid to say anything because you will say in a round about way that I am an idiot.

SO LETS go ahead and google it as see what the world wide web says about how a tire makes heat, and i Quote:\
[FONT=&quot]Hi, former dev at Redbull F1 Racing here, while not tyre guru I worked closely with race strategists and got some insights into this topic.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is not exactly correct to say that tires have more friction when heated up, instead, each type of tyre has an ideal temperature range in which the friction and tyre performance reaches optimum.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There are three major components that generate friction: adhesion, deformation and tyre wear.[/FONT]

• Adhesion causes the tyre to 'stick' to the road surface (on the molecular level) and plays big role in dry conditions.
  • Deformation means that rubber on tyre plastically deforms increasing contact area between tyre and road surface - this is very important in wet conditions where water blocks the formation of adhesive forces. The effect is increased by high hysteresis of rubber used in racing tyres - they recover slower after deformation than your normal tyres.
  • Tearing occurs when local stress on tyre increases above the point of elastic recovery of polymer bonds. Additional friction is generated by tearing as it absorbes energy.
[FONT=&quot]High temperature caused by tyre stress generates mechanical and chemical changes to the rubber. Those changes increase adhesion and deformation (tyre becomes more elastic) which improves friction, but as temperature grows composition of the rubber keeps changing and it becomes harder and less 'sticky'. Eventually, when the core of the tyre heats up, process called blistering occurs which causes pockets of air to form and pull rubber apart leaving visible holes in the tyre and further reducing friction.

I fail to see how my "in layman terms" about heat generation does not translate far from this. I admit I don't know everything but I have room to learn

Please for my sake give me your technical info that was taught to you. I am not being anything other than interested in what you have to say, It seems that you are an intelligent guy and I am genuinely interested in your explanation. I have an open mind and yes I want to know as much as possible about tires as you do. If you care to drop the info maybe we can start to work together and find some common ground here. We share the same queen for gods sake!![/FONT]

abyzfr6

Country flag
Lucky (?) us that the post is still informative. Please do not let this topic die, this is the one of the most interesting and unknown issue in racing.
As a Pirelli user, i do not think that they applies the "open information policy"
Now.
I started racing the RC390 a year and a half ago. So far, i tried 3 tires:
Pirelli Rosso 2, Continental conti attack sm and pirelli supercorsa sc.
The Rosso was a good first tire with very little sensitivity(to rider feel) to rear pressure and with no grip issues.
In the front, a differance of 2 PSI can be felt and it tends to lose grip quit easy. I can have no good feedback from the front. Tire size 150/60 and 110/70.
Pressures i tried: rear 16-30. Front 25-30.
The conti has a triangle shape (sm tire) and it give a very fast transitioning and the bike falls very fast to its side.
Better grip overall. The rear feels more sensitive to pressure then the Rosso, the front is less sensitive to pressure.
With the Conti i can go to a very low lean. The front feels numb.almost no feel.
Tire size was 150/60 and 110/70
After changing the rear to 140/70, more lean and faster turning was the benefit.
Pressures i tried : rear 18-27 front 27-32
The Pirelli SC is a world of its own. Immediate faster laps and laps recored, time after time.
Very sensitive to front pressure, not sensitive as much in the rear.
More stable handling.
Tire size 140/70 and 110/70.
Pressures i tried :rear 22-28 . Front 28-32

simpletty

Country flag
Forgot to mention that the SC tires are sc1 front and sc2 rear

we run 28 rear 30 front 140-110 combo as well. 150 is not as good as the 140 handling wise. Im pretty sure thats the general opinion of everyone who runs the pirellis. Have yet to try the q3+ Dunlops. Past experience with the ALPHA 13's make me not want to try them. But when some kid sets the lap record in lightweight on them makes you wonder.

Lucky (?) us that the post is still informative. Please do not let this topic die, this is the one of the most interesting and unknown issue in racing.
As a Pirelli user, i do not think that they applies the "open information policy"
Now.
I started racing the RC390 a year and a half ago. So far, i tried 3 tires:
Pirelli Rosso 2, Continental conti attack sm and pirelli supercorsa sc.
The Rosso was a good first tire with very little sensitivity(to rider feel) to rear pressure and with no grip issues.
In the front, a differance of 2 PSI can be felt and it tends to lose grip quit easy. I can have no good feedback from the front. Tire size 150/60 and 110/70.
Pressures i tried: rear 16-30. Front 25-30.
The conti has a triangle shape (sm tire) and it give a very fast transitioning and the bike falls very fast to its side.
Better grip overall. The rear feels more sensitive to pressure then the Rosso, the front is less sensitive to pressure.
With the Conti i can go to a very low lean. The front feels numb.almost no feel.
Tire size was 150/60 and 110/70
After changing the rear to 140/70, more lean and faster turning was the benefit.
Pressures i tried : rear 18-27 front 27-32
The Pirelli SC is a world of its own. Immediate faster laps and laps recored, time after time.
Very sensitive to front pressure, not sensitive as much in the rear.
More stable handling.
Tire size 140/70 and 110/70.
Pressures i tried :rear 22-28 . Front 28-32

ok the first thing is that you must always talk "hot" pressures. This is important because the internal pressure works hand in hand with the tyre construction. It is important because the pressure controls footprint size and shape and supports the loaded area to help prevent distortion of that area. In other words, you want the whole loaded footprint to press evenly against the road surface. Too low a pressure can cause a cupping affect in the centre of the loaded area which you will see as either graining or if bad tearing. So effectively, if you run too low a pressure, you will get a bigger contact patch especially for acceleration but in corners it may distort badly.

example:

040315middle1.jpg

Ok so while low pressures can be helpful it really depends on the micro/macro surface structure of your race track and how much footprint distortion you get from it.

So here are the pirelli recommended tyre pressures for your tyres:

RIM RECOMMENDED
(INCHES)
PRESSURE RANGE RECOMMENDED (COLD)
BAR (PSI)
PRESSURE RANGE RACCOMENDED (HOT)
BAR (PSI)
TYRE WARMERS USE °C (°F)
FRONT 110/70 ZR17
RIM RECOMMENDED
(INCHES)3.00
PRESSURE RANGE RECOMMENDED (cold)
bar (psi)2.0/2.2 (29/32)
PRESSURE RANGE RECCOMENDED (HOT)
bar (psi)2.1/2.4 (30/35)
TYRE WARMERS USE °C (°F)50 MINS. @ 80 °C (176°F)
FRONT 120/70 ZR17
RIM RECOMMENDED
(INCHES)3.50
bar (psi)2.0/2.2 (29/32)
bar (psi)2.1/2.4 (30/35)
REAR 140/70 ZR17
RIM RECOMMENDED
(INCHES)3.75/4.00
bar (psi)1.6/1.8 (23/26)
bar (psi)1.7/1.9 (25/28)
REAR 150/60 ZR17
RIM RECOMMENDED
(INCHES)4.00 - 4.25
bar (psi)1.6/1.8 (23/26)
bar (psi)1.7/1.9 (25/28)

The upper level categories run TPMS systems that monitor internal air temps and pressures. Just recently Cal Crutchlow said in a post race interview that he was running third I think and he could see that his pressures were too low ( i think) on his dash and he knew he couldn't challenge for the lead.

So construction is very important and pressure works with construction to give feedback to the rider. So if you look at another category that runs pirelli tyres on the superbike slick you will see that they are now moving to sc2 and sc3 fronts because even though the compound doesn't get as much heat and is technically are harder compound ....it gives far better feel and is more stable under brakes and into corners. I can't tell you enough how important construction is. It's what gives the rider feel and confidence to push limits. One of our very best riders here always runs the SC3 front (not available in the supercorsa) no matter what the ambient track is.

the information I have been given is that if you are running the supercorsa Sc tyres then only go to the sc2 as a front if you are really hard on the front, under brakes an into corners.

But more importantly you haven't mentioned suspension. That's the first place I would start. Maybe some others might be able to give advice on what you are running in the front and see if there is an issue with either your weight, front spring rate, preload or damper settings.