RC 390 Shutting off at idle

Bags

Hi all,
I have a 2015 RC 390 Cup bike. The KTM experience has been less than ideal so far. During the typical warmup before track use (Track bike only as CUP bikes are not street legal) when the bike reaches 4 bars (temperature) on the display the bike just shuts off. When I say shuts off it does not stutter or have any change in RPM it acts like you shut off the ignition or hit the kill switch. If you hit the start button it starts right back up then runs 20-30 seconds and shuts off. Turn the key off and start bike back up and same thing. Only when it is cold does it idle until warm and shut off.
On the track when you close the throttle to turn in the bike shuts off and restarts my guess due to the fact it is moving it bump starts. This obviously upsets the chassis as well. Making the bike difficult to ride. You basically can never close the throttle. It actually stalls in the hot pit if you are held from entering the track.
The dealer had the bike since June 7th and returned (supposedly fixed) on August 26th and returned. Yes you read that right the dealer had the bike for over two months. They had KTM involved tried changing maps, tried a new throttle body and ECU same problem. The bike has no trouble codes logged and is not flashing any codes. They told me the valves were in spec as well. The solution they claimed was to adjust the valves "looser" but still in tolerance. They claimed problem solved. I picked it up it idled for 20 minutes no problem. Loaded the bike on the trailer headed to the track started it at the track yesterday and the same problem started all over again. So my guess is this must be an electrical problem but I don't know where to begin. Going to bring it back to the dealer but they obviously don't seem to have a clue of whats wrong. Hope to find a solution I would hate to loose the bike another two months.

shortpballer

Sorry to hear all that. Can't you just ask for a new one? Thats pretty ridiculous you have to be going through all that. You paid for a brand new bike, I would just tell them you want your money back or a brand new cup bike....not your bike fixed, seems to be a lemon...

Bags

Sorry to hear all that. Can't you just ask for a new one? Thats pretty ridiculous you have to be going through all that. You paid for a brand new bike, I would just tell them you want your money back or a brand new cup bike....not your bike fixed, seems to be a lemon...
I have sent a message to KTM America on their website since it is a holiday weekend they will not get it till Tuesday. They should be able to see the notes based on the VIN#. Every time I have called its just a voicemail no matter how long you hold for. I'll post about the status as I learn in the mean time if anyone has ideas I can pass them along to the dealer. They seem to be frustrated as well.

Tobi-Miller

Sad story :(

In Germany the vendor is responsible for all that stuff in this case. But I don’t know how it is in the US. Furthermore, the vendor can choose how to fix that problem: repair the “product”, money back or new “product”. But the customer has to give the vendor the possibility to repair the “product”. That means time and maybe some tries (mostly not more than 3). But I can't tell you where the exact limit is in this case. And again I don’t know how it is for the US.

Have u made any changes at the bike? Or is it the original Cup bike? And was the dealer able to reproduce this error?

Bags

Sad story :(

Have u made any changes at the bike? Or is it the original Cup bike? And was the dealer able to reproduce this error?

No changes were made and the dealer could produce the error. I was advised by both the dealer and KTM America "They could not figure out the problem." I can post the whole timeline of events and the dates but long story short I picked up the bike on 4/8/15 the bike started to shutoff on 4/9/15. 4/14/15 The dealer got it back and said the spark plug wire was loose. The problem reoccurred and was brought back to the dealership on 6/3/15 returned on 8/26/15 and the problem still exists.

Muckabucka

Country flag
You are protected by lemon laws if you are in the US. You may want to start using that word, and exploring a replacement if it's not resolved soon.

corners

Did they try replacing the wiring harness?

Basic troubleshooting would dictate that they replace each electrical component until the bike behaves.

Though I don't know if KTM has wiring harness testers or not, but each sensor (temperature, voltage, etc...) and each electrical part should be replaced or tested.

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
Add me to the list with Muckabucka and ArkansasDave. And don't F around about it. Go ahead and get the contact information from your Attorney General's office.

In the meantime, (somewhat hard to do, since it's not street-legal), keep trying to duplicate the issue and the conditions that cause it. You'll need that for your case, and (best) to help KTM and your dealer fix​ it. I just reread your timeline; you've certainly "duplicated" it enough. Get out the big stick.

Tobi-Miller

Lemon Laws… learning never stops.

... Making the bike difficult to ride. You basically can never close the throttle. It actually stalls in the hot pit if you are held from entering the track...

Due to this fact this is a defect that impairs the safety of ure bike. So u should have no problems to argue to get a replacement if not solved soon.

Bags

Add me to the list with Muckabucka and ArkansasDave. And don't F around about it. Go ahead and get the contact information from your Attorney General's office.

In the meantime, (somewhat hard to do, since it's not street-legal), keep trying to duplicate the issue and the conditions that cause it. You'll need that for your case, and (best) to help KTM and your dealer fix​ it. I just reread your timeline; you've certainly "duplicated" it enough. Get out the big stick.

I put a complaint into the Arizona Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau. I put a message into KTM's website yesterday and called them today. You guessed it voicemail. What is extremely disappointing is the fact you shell out over 12K and there is no sense of urgency or any type of empathy to make things right. In my business we work to quickly solve problems and we are only talking about thousand dollar items. Rant mode off.

The bike no longer starts it cranks but does not start. The dealer during its extended stay was able to duplicate the problem. I have a timeline with all the conversations typed up as well. I have documented the complete saga to date. If you guys want me to post it let me know. Warning it is a 3 page document...

Bags

Agree with psych0hans. Keep us posted with your progress, but you're probably better of keeping specifics private. Sorry for the mechanical misadventure.
I can update you with this information. Bike is still in the shop. They still have not diagnosed the problem. When and if there is a know cause or a solution I will let you know. Just in case someone else has the same problem.

A1VW2NV

Country flag
I know you will be excited to get your bike back. However, don't settle! You have been unable to ride the bike for the majority og the time you've owned it. I suggest you demand compensation!
Keep us posted!

chrisv102581

I have the same problem with mine (minus the stalling during riding). She sounds like you hit the off switch during warm up.... then it takes more cranking than usual to fire back up.. But once its warm no more problems

Bags

I have the same problem with mine (minus the stalling during riding). She sounds like you hit the off switch during warm up.... then it takes more cranking than usual to fire back up.. But once its warm no more problems

The bike actually stalls at idle. Once the temp gets to about 4 bars it stalls at idle. While riding on the track is stalls once you cut the throttle to turn in and them restarts likely from momentum. Nothing to do with hitting the kill switch here actually. Bike is still at the dealer now for 35 days so far on this stint.

fs1ephil

Hi
if may be something as simple as the fuel tank vent is blocked, the temperature / fuel starvation will coinside as the vacuum will build up in the tank and starve fuel at roughly the same time so reaching temp and cutting at same time. Confused myself here lol.
id check the vent first, it maybe that on throttle the air replacing the fuel used in the tank is forced in but on idle it cant.