RC 390 Shutting off at idle

rippedcb

The bike actually stalls at idle. Once the temp gets to about 4 bars it stalls at idle. While riding on the track is stalls once you cut the throttle to turn in and them restarts likely from momentum. Nothing to do with hitting the kill switch here actually. Bike is still at the dealer now for 35 days so far on this stint.

which pipe and which fuel map on the ecu?

Bags

which pipe and which fuel map on the ecu?

Akrapovic exhaust and whatever the factory KTM map is... Not sure. The latest update is the problem was apparently solved by KTM. They flew one of the race techs in to troubleshoot the bike it was determined to be a faulty throttle body. So now it idles and runs although the check engine light is back on now. So it is back at the dealer. They claim it won't take a month this time. So hopefully that knowledge will help someone in the future.

So how did you get on Bags?

Did they replace the whole throttle body to solve the problem with the idle?

I have unfortunately had very similar problems with the idle being very rough and when you finally go to take off and put it in gear it just dies. Argggggggggggg !

My bike has done around 8500 ks now and the problem seemed to lessen over time - UntillI installed the Bazzaz EFI and wow it made a huge difference idle was smooth and was perfect - for about 3 days and then back to crap idle and cutting off with the slightest throttle twist and dies when you put it into gear - anyone help please - Not sure if the bike would be covered with any warranty now after installing the Bazzaz - All I want is to sort this idle and stalling issue thanks

zippy49

Sounds like nothing to do with the electronics, more likely something mechanical such as the solutions mentioned before. Dies when put into gear? Could be the sidestand switch, too. I'd try removing the Bazzaz EFI first, though.

Bags

So how did you get on Bags?

Did they replace the whole throttle body to solve the problem with the idle?

I have unfortunately had very similar problems with the idle being very rough and when you finally go to take off and put it in gear it just dies. Argggggggggggg !

My bike has done around 8500 ks now and the problem seemed to lessen over time - UntillI installed the Bazzaz EFI and wow it made a huge difference idle was smooth and was perfect - for about 3 days and then back to crap idle and cutting off with the slightest throttle twist and dies when you put it into gear - anyone help please - Not sure if the bike would be covered with any warranty now after installing the Bazzaz - All I want is to sort this idle and stalling issue thanks

Replacing the throttle body solved the idle problem and the stalling while ridding it as well. Once you rolled off to get it turned it would shut off and bump start itself. I had no aftermarket fuel management installed this was all factory. Although now I have it back at the dealer for a code 23 Speed Sensor? Not sure how that happens since there is no odometer or speed reading on a cup bike.

SHAME SHAME SHAME ON KTM Still having this problem and damn frustrating DANGEROUS KTM NEED TO ADDRESS THIS FOR THE RC AND DUKE SOMEONE WILL GET KILLED STALLING AT THE WRONG PLACE WRONG TIME

EnCee

Same for me, very rough idle both hot & cold. Sorted with PCV & WB2 using autotune, TPS needed recalibration in PCV software, put 13 in 1500-2000 rpm range in 0% column. All good now.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Same for me, very rough idle both hot & cold. Sorted with PCV & WB2 using autotune, TPS needed recalibration in PCV software, put 13 in 1500-2000 rpm range in 0% column. All good now.

Very interesting!
I believe that would be a 'clue' to the mystery idle issue, fortunately mine does not suffer the issues, but, shows proper operation of TPS via OBD diagnostics...
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

cazh

how can I increase the throttle position sensor? I need to increase it by a bit so it doesn't keep shtuting off

cazh

my bike dies when not revved, its happened everywhere, freeway, street, lights and stop signs. is there any where I can adjust the throttle on my own? I want to revve it up a bit so it doesn't continue stalling

mdabyo

Country flag
check your spark plug/cable. my plug was so loose in the cable that my bike would idle like shit and die randomly. Change the cable to a new cable that fit tightly on the plug and it has never run better!

Mack

Country flag
ecu reset

Had similar problem when I went to pick up my 2017 RC 390 from the dealer. The engine would quit when pulling in the clutch to change gears.The dealer reset the ECU. I had to wait two hours for the engine to cool off. The engine was started and allowed to come up to temperature. This sets a base line temperature in the ECU. This engine will quit if it gets too hot. If this base line procedure may not have been done correctly. The bike may have been run a short time at the factory and the base line temperature would be way off. Give it a shot. I do not see where it could hurt. I suspect there are other problems this procedure would fix.