Rear shock overheating? (in the real world)

cornerslider

I've read a lot of speculation on the rear shock overheating from being too close to the CAT/exhaust. Does anyone have any real experience with this? Here is my dilemma: I know the factory shock is garbage.... I am planning to upgrade ASAP. Am I just going to cook all the life out of a nice aftermarket shock, unless I do an aftermarket exhaust at the same time? I doubt the engineers at KTM failed to consider this in the design of this bike.... Does anyone know what temperature an Ohlins shock would start to degrade? I'm okay with "cooking" the OEM shock, and I agree that the placement of the factory CAT/exhaust is not the best idea, but would it REALLY effect an Ohlins shock?

Diploman

Your best protection against overheating and fading by the shock will be to fit an aftermarket shock with a remote reservoir. The latter will be mounted in a spot not only away from the exhaust's heat emissions, but also where it will be cooled by the ambient airstream. Thus the shock's damping fluid will remain at an effective temperature and viscosity.