Seat Height coupled with a Short Rider

MrGrody

Look at yours and wonder about the claims of some to have touched pegs at the stock height....safe to say those claims are bull and the same people probably stuff a salami in their pants to think they'll entice girls on the dance-floor.

Weight plays a big factor on the shock. Assuming most you 5'2"-5'5" guys are under 150lbs. Take a rider like me I'm 6'2" 210lbs suited up. I ride with the rear set to 7 clicks "sport" to stiffen it up. First run I did stock tho and those pegs will touch. That extra 60 lbs in a tight fast turn puts way more stress on the suspension.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Weight plays a big factor on the shock. Assuming most you 5'2"-5'5" guys are under 150lbs. Take a rider like me I'm 6'2" 210lbs suited up. I ride with the rear set to 7 clicks "sport" to stiffen it up. First run I did stock tho and those pegs will touch. That extra 60 lbs in a tight fast turn puts way more stress on the suspension.

I've got Tyga rearsets in stock, ready to ship, to get them pegs up and out of the way... As well as JRi shocks also in stock, ready to ship. :) Speaking as a 6'3" 220# fat old guy, I can promise that made ALL the difference in the world. You'll want to respring and change to 7w oil on the front end too... I can help with that, but that isn't as easy of a solution and parts are ordered as needed, but most folks use local suspension shops for the front end if they don't want to do the rebuild themselves... Tho I am happy to do that to tho does require coming here or mailing the forks.

MrGrody

I've got Tyga rearsets in stock, ready to ship, to get them pegs up and out of the way... As well as JRi shocks also in stock, ready to ship. :) Speaking as a 6'3" 220# fat old guy, I can promise that made ALL the difference in the world. You'll want to respring and change to 7w oil on the front end too... I can help with that, but that isn't as easy of a solution and parts are ordered as needed, but most folks use local suspension shops for the front end if they don't want to do the rebuild themselves... Tho I am happy to do that to tho does require coming here or mailing the forks.
Thanks for the heads up but I'm thoroughly pleased with a stock bike.

ArkansasDave

I lowered mine 30mm and now I love it.

Yes...I was on my tippy toes and didn't want to fall over eventually at an angled stop somewhere. < What might that cost...and to your ego if there were spectators?

...Now I have both feet flat on the ground at stops...I can even raise my butt off the seat to get more comfortable then.
KTM's dirt-bike history shows in giving these little street bikes such high seats. However they do fit tall riders well according to most road tests.
Clearance is no problem...I wondered about speed bumps in parking lots but it isn't a problem....and looking at it from the front (lowered) I'd think if I ever touched a foot-peg then it would only be because I was about to lay it down.

Look at yours and wonder about the claims of some to have touched pegs at the stock height....safe to say those claims are bull and the same people probably stuff a salami in their pants to think they'll entice girls on the dance-floor.

I got the lower shock mount which lowers the bike and you also raise the forks through the triple clamps as instructed here KTM Lowering KIts
...they make a 30 and a 60mm lowering shock mount and 2 shorter side-stands which you also will need. Yes it isn't cheap but they're charging accordingly to recoup their design/R&D and obviously they aren't going to have a million customers.

My bike is raised 15 mm or so in the front and 18mm in the rear and I have dragged pegs and the belly pan. That's even with an upgraded rear shock that matches my weight. I'm not sure how you can determine that looking at your bike while sitting still and upright you can determine that you will never scrape the peg. I think it's safe to say you don't really know what you're talking about.

RobbiRob76

I am 5'7" and have raced motorcycles, Road Race, MX, and Super Moto since 1974. I owned a Honda Dealership for 10 years, before selling and moving to California to continue working in the industry. Why do people think they need to touch flat footed with both feet? All you need is to get one foot down solid... If touching flat footed was a requirement, I would never have raced MX or Supermoto. Even for beginners, slide your butt to one side and get one foot down flat. It doesnt matter which side. If the road is uneven, or it is particularly windy make the appropriate adjustment and go ride...

big_sur

I am 5'7" and have raced motorcycles, Road Race, MX, and Super Moto since 1974. I owned a Honda Dealership for 10 years, before selling and moving to California to continue working in the industry. Why do people think they need to touch flat footed with both feet? All you need is to get one foot down solid... If touching flat footed was a requirement, I would never have raced MX or Supermoto. Even for beginners, slide your butt to one side and get one foot down flat. It doesnt matter which side. If the road is uneven, or it is particularly windy make the appropriate adjustment and go ride...

+1, I'm 5'10 and I can only flat foot three of the six bikes I own.

ArkansasDave

Not everyone feels comfortable holding up a motorcycle on the toes of one foot. Eventually they will hopefully be able to get used to it but not everyone can just hop on a bike that can barely touch the ground on and be comfortable.

RobbiRob76

Not everyone feels comfortable holding up a motorcycle on the toes of one foot. Eventually they will hopefully be able to get used to it but not everyone can just hop on a bike that can barely touch the ground on and be comfortable.
Please re read my post... I said "one foot down solid". How does that remotely read "holding up the motorcycle on the toes of one foot"?

Sailor

I am 5'2 with about a 27 inch inseam and still feel comfortable on the bike by sliding off to one side when I need to stop. I did buy a set of boots that have a quite a stiff sole that make it a lot easier to balance with my toes on the ground. Can't back up the bike though. I have to get off.

ArkansasDave

Please re read my post... I said "one foot down solid". How does that remotely read "holding up the motorcycle on the toes of one foot"?

Ok... Still not everyone feels comfortable only having one foot down. You've been riding for 40+ years, it's probably hard to see it through someone's eyes that started riding when they are 40 and have no physical aptitude for it.