Shock Swap with 99-02 R6

dingdong

Will a 7x2.25" spring fit on R6 shock without need for adapter collar? What size washers (OD/thickness) are needed to shim the bottom mount? Thanks

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The short answer is I'm not sure. I use the RaceTech parts and when I build shocks for folks or order parts for them to do the build themselves I order the ones RaceTech specified. I could measure them, but the specifications should be on the RaceTech website as well.

The collar that goes on the bottom is a pressed aluminum bushing, but it's like $3, so it's a non issue. If you are referring to the threaded preload adjuster, that's a requirement for using the RaceTech springs, and it's a great part too. The stock stepped adjuster is rubbish.

Last edited:

Alex

I see yes just try to measured space between exhaust pipe (not stock exhaust), and just thinking it's safety nitrogen tube near exhaust pipe ? i think we should wrap the pipe to reduce heat from it

thank you guys .....for your opinion,

Alex

IMG_3219.jpgIMG_3218.jpg
Awesome feel the different ......... thank you guys .. no problem with remus exhaust

Last edited:

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
View attachment 2026
Got this on ebay R1 06..... look like same as R6 99 shock $20

The 06 R1 Shock is shorter. 299.5mm. That's "only" .5mm shorter than the OEM shock (at 300mm) but it put it out of the running when I was evaluating candidates considering what the target was of 305-310mm due to ALREADY having clearance issues at 300mm. Can it work... maybe. You are gonna need to jack the preload up enough and make sure you've got the right spring. You will have .5mm shorter shock, which sounds like nothing, but when that's then projected out to the swingarm once compressed at the axle that .5mm becomes MUCH more. You are talking about enough clearance even already at the 300mm that you WILL drag hard parts more. Now, if you aren't already dragging hard parts and riding it hard enough to be facing clearance issues... yer fine. Just know that it will drag sooner than the OEM shock. I also don't know what the bolt sizes or widths are, as I never got that far into the eval. It might fit, it might not. For $20, it's a cheap experiment for fitment. I don't know what the rebuild characteristics are. I would imaging similar to the Gen1 R6 tho. RaceTech could tell you what those options are, or possibly somebody else. I've pretty much built my shock rebuilds completely around their parts tho, so that's what I know. :)

The stock spring rate is an 8.6kg/mm spring, so you are going to want a stiffer spring just like with the R6 shock, depending on your weight. Considering most riders who are considering an updated shock are going to be over the 150# point, it's pretty much certain you are going to have to.

rick

FWIW, my 1st-gen R6 shock had plenty of extra room on the bottom end when I was fitting it last night - I'm gonna have to shim that up tonight.
r6_shock-base.jpg

r6_shock-mounted.jpg

I just bent the rear brake reservoir out of the way. I swapped out the hex head bolt with a button head since, I couldn't fit a socket over it as well anymore. I was too lazy to pull off the left foot peg completely which made getting that long bolt off the chain guard kind of a chore. I haven't decided if that bolt needs to go back in or not yet.

Ryanthegreat1

I just bent the rear brake reservoir out of the way. I swapped out the hex head bolt with a button head since, I couldn't fit a socket over it as well anymore. I was too lazy to pull off the left foot peg completely which made getting that long bolt off the chain guard kind of a chore. I haven't decided if that bolt needs to go back in or not yet.

Cut a slot on the chain guard and then all you have to do is loosen the long bolt and slide the guard off.

Or get the rear hugger/fender from a Duke 390 and skip the poorly designed chain guard.

hydroz1

Got mine installed last night and sag set this morning.

As Matt (Formula390) put it ---"...lightyears from stock" ...and i agree.

image1.jpg

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 991
Last edited:

rick

I like both the slotting and duke hugger idea! Thanks!
Might be faster to get the Tyga one for $65:

UPDATE: I bought the stock Duke 390 hugger #90104050000 from onlyorange.com for $9. The Tyga is much nicer but, I needed to order some OEM parts anyway. Here's an old thread on that if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
FWIW, my 1st-gen R6 shock had plenty of extra room on the bottom end when I was fitting it last night - I'm gonna have to shim that up tonight.
r6_shock-base.jpg

What did you use for your 12mm to 10mm bushing material? Did you order the McMaster Carr items I'd initially found, or make something else work?

The shims should be -=ROUGHLY=- 0.74mm per side. There's been some question as to what EXACTLY the swingarm width machining tolerances are, but that's the ballpark you are going to need to aim for. I have shims for that size available for $8 made from aluminum so no corrosion issues there. They aren't anodized, just turned from aluminum bar stock on the lathe.

You are also going to want to put the right spring, threaded preload adjuster, and spring collar / bushing on. You can order from any RaceTech reseller, them directly, or myself. Not trying to push here, just making my services available. It was developed and released open source so do whatcha like. :) LOL You can hit me up at [email protected] if you wanna talk specifics or ring me up. I'm just smoking some Venison Summer Sausage for the rest of the day today, and watching the temperature stay at 180 is ABOUT as entertaining as watching paint dry or grass grow... or yapping at y'all on the forum. ;) {ducking}

rick

I ordered the McMaster Carr bushings you found but, my suspension guy machined me a insert when he was setting up the shock for me. So, I guess I have a spare pair of those laying around. I could be interested in your shims - probably better than the washers I'll have at home!

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I ordered the McMaster Carr bushings you found but, my suspension guy machined me a insert when he was setting up the shock for me. So, I guess I have a spare pair of those laying around. I could be interested in your shims - probably better than the washers I'll have at home!

Make sure you use either Aluminum or Stainless. Don't use steel or zink plated washers. You can thin down a washer on a belt grinder... just keep it cool. I have used my finger and a small cup of water. You hold it until it gets too hot to hold anymore, and slide it into the water. Pull it out, wipe off, repeat. Eventually you can thin the part down enough, and can generally keep it a uniform thickness. These days I use the lathe or the surface grinder for that sorta thing, and don't screw about trying not to burn my finger anymore... but there was a time!!! LOL

Alex

The 06 R1 Shock is shorter. 299.5mm. That's "only" .5mm shorter than the OEM shock (at 300mm) but it put it out of the running when I was evaluating candidates considering what the target was of 305-310mm due to ALREADY having clearance issues at 300mm. Can it work... maybe. You are gonna need to jack the preload up enough and make sure you've got the right spring. You will have .5mm shorter shock, which sounds like nothing, but when that's then projected out to the swingarm once compressed at the axle that .5mm becomes MUCH more. You are talking about enough clearance even already at the 300mm that you WILL drag hard parts more. Now, if you aren't already dragging hard parts and riding it hard enough to be facing clearance issues... yer fine. Just know that it will drag sooner than the OEM shock. I also don't know what the bolt sizes or widths are, as I never got that far into the eval. It might fit, it might not. For $20, it's a cheap experiment for fitment. I don't know what the rebuild characteristics are. I would imaging similar to the Gen1 R6 tho. RaceTech could tell you what those options are, or possibly somebody else. I've pretty much built my shock rebuilds completely around their parts tho, so that's what I know. :)

The stock spring rate is an 8.6kg/mm spring, so you are going to want a stiffer spring just like with the R6 shock, depending on your weight. Considering most riders who are considering an updated shock are going to be over the 150# point, it's pretty much certain you are going to have to.

oh shorter... than stock, i just curious then send offer and, he agreed my offer .... found this [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/shock_length_chart-1.xlsx
but will get clearence issue, with the nitrogen tube could be ...okay thank you let see when the shock arrive :)

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Alex

oh shorter... than stock, i just curious then send offer and, he agreed my offer .... found this [SIZE=-1] http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/shock_length_chart-1.xlsx
but will get clearence issue, with the nitrogen tube could be ...okay thank you let see when the shock arrive :)

[/SIZE]