Shock Swap with 99-02 R6

Alex

The 06 R1 Shock is shorter. 299.5mm. That's "only" .5mm shorter than the OEM shock (at 300mm) but it put it out of the running when I was evaluating candidates considering what the target was of 305-310mm due to ALREADY having clearance issues at 300mm. Can it work... maybe. You are gonna need to jack the preload up enough and make sure you've got the right spring. You will have .5mm shorter shock, which sounds like nothing, but when that's then projected out to the swingarm once compressed at the axle that .5mm becomes MUCH more. You are talking about enough clearance even already at the 300mm that you WILL drag hard parts more. Now, if you aren't already dragging hard parts and riding it hard enough to be facing clearance issues... yer fine. Just know that it will drag sooner than the OEM shock. I also don't know what the bolt sizes or widths are, as I never got that far into the eval. It might fit, it might not. For $20, it's a cheap experiment for fitment. I don't know what the rebuild characteristics are. I would imaging similar to the Gen1 R6 tho. RaceTech could tell you what those options are, or possibly somebody else. I've pretty much built my shock rebuilds completely around their parts tho, so that's what I know. :)

The stock spring rate is an 8.6kg/mm spring, so you are going to want a stiffer spring just like with the R6 shock, depending on your weight. Considering most riders who are considering an updated shock are going to be over the 150# point, it's pretty much certain you are going to have to.

you mean 0.5mm ? almost 300mm, ok thanks for nice information I appreciate, just curious with R1 shock (dog bone look nice)....

mp2u031727-2006-yamaha-r1-rear-shock-5.jpgfound this.....visual it's more than 12inch

Last edited:

hydroz1

FWIW, my 1st-gen R6 shock had plenty of extra room on the bottom end when I was fitting it last night - I'm gonna have to shim that up tonight.
r6_shock-base.jpg

r6_shock-mounted.jpg

I just bent the rear brake reservoir out of the way. I swapped out the hex head bolt with a button head since, I couldn't fit a socket over it as well anymore. I was too lazy to pull off the left foot peg completely which made getting that long bolt off the chain guard kind of a chore. I haven't decided if that bolt needs to go back in or not yet.

I zip-tied my reservoir to the frame. Seemed to work on the commute to work. Still have to try it on the track.

rick

I dropped in a single 1mm shim ..er, an M8 washer with a hole I enlarged with a 13/32" drill bit. It was still a smidge loose but close. I *think* the washer I used was zinc plated because most of my M8 washers are but, this one may have been stainless as it was one of the unusually thin ones in the bin. I couldn't get my caliper down to the machined part but a 2.5mm washer wasn't even close to fitting FWIW.

So, the Formula390.com shims are on order!

I rode the bike with the new shock for the first time into work today but, it was cold and I was taking it easy as the bike just came out of the shop yesterday for warranty replacement on the exhaust cam so, I don't have any real feedback on it yet. I do think that it's pretty safe to say that it's gonna be significantly better than the stock hunk of junk though.

As for the brake reservoir, I'm pretty happy with bending the bracket until it clears w/ a new bolt solution. It might be hanging out a tad further than ideal from a crashing perspective but, it was kind of out there anyway.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
you mean 0.5mm ? almost 300mm, ok thanks for nice information I appreciate, just curious with R1 shock (dog bone look nice)....

View attachment 2031found this.....visual it's more than 12inch

The distance measured is from center of eye to center of eye. That is 299.5mm. It's shorter than the stock shock on the measurement that matters, which is the center of eye to center of eye. I don't recommend it, but it's your ride. :) The Gen1 R6's are 304mm. That' 4.5mm sounds like nothing, but for clearance... once all that length is translated out to the axle and distances involved in levering the swingarm... it's everything!

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Matt what's the reasoning for avoiding steel or zinc materials for spacers?
Corrosion / rust. The shock eye uses needle bearings, so getting rust in there from a washer that is throwing off rust because it's steel, or after the zinc coating wore off, would be terrible for the shock... :)

If you use aluminum or stainless, no problem.

rick

Matt from Formula390.com hit me up with a private message for the shims. I paypal'ed him the money and had the shims in my hands a couple of days later.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
@rick, mind sharing the link to those shims? Thanks.
My ears are burning. :)

I can help folks out with whatever bits anyone might need to do the swap. From full works rebuilt to any and all of the components needed to do all the work oneself. Just let me know what all you need. :)

bobrowley

My ears are burning. :)

I can help folks out with whatever bits anyone might need to do the swap. From full works rebuilt to any and all of the components needed to do all the work oneself. Just let me know what all you need. :)

Cool! What I need is those shims. I am using ones that are not aluminum. What works best for you? PayPal?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Cool! What I need is those shims. I am using ones that are not aluminum. What works best for you? PayPal?

Yeah PayPal works out really well for processing payments. :) The shims, plus shipping/handling, come to $8.75. Assuming you aren't in Tejas where I'd also have to charge you sales tax... You can PayPal that to [email protected] and I can get them sent your way, same day typically. :)

I got smart 2 orders ago and made up a whole bunch of extra sets of spacers all at one time... rather than keeping on making them to order each and every time! So now to send out a set of the spacers I walk over to and open the drawer the parts are stored in, pull two of them out of the box, print out your receipt, tape them to the receipt, address and stamp an envelope, and mail 'em off! That seems to be working out well that way... even if Rick DID make fun of me most recently for shipping them to him that way. :) LOL

Trimapa

Hi , I'm a member from Spain ( same username ) of the " ktmduke390forum.com" and this thread its becoming very popular over there and Formula390 the main man .
Our member Dilpoman is going through the process of fitting a R6 shock on his Duke 390 . He opted for the Race Tech springs . My question : I have the option to buy a unused '02 R6 shock ( removed from day one to fit an Ohlings shock ) I weigh close to 200lbs . Guess I will need to replace the springs , no ? . We can buy Race Tech springs in Spain , so which springs should I order ? I understand one needs reducing bushes ? 12mm to 10mm and spacers , shims ? May I ask @Formula390 how much you could supply me the springs and fitting materials for along with a shipping quote to mainland Spain . Paypal is easy enough for all of us I presume .
Many thanks in advance ,

Andy

Country flag
When I have time I'll trawl through this thread as it looks interesting but could someone give a quick summary of what you do?

Thanks

Diploman

1. Purchase a Gen 1 R6 shock on eBay - remove the stock yellow spring
2. Obtain the following parts:
---RaceTech SRSP 5815116 spring
---RaceTech threaded preload adjuster for Gen1 R6 shock
---Bottom collar for spring
---bushings and shims for bottom shock mount
(Parts can be purchased directly from RaceTech, and bushings from McMaster-Carr. However, it is much simpler to order the entire lot from Matt at Formula390.com. He is a RaceTech reseller and has everything in stock, including the bushings and shims which he machines to correct specs. I would much rather buy from Matt, who researched and developed this shock conversion - he deserves the business.)

3. Install preload adjuster, spring and collar on shock
4. Uninstall OEM shock. Fit R6 shock, using bushings and shims for bottom shock eyelet.
5. Ride

This assumes you do not feel it necessary to rebuild the R6 shock before Step 3. Matt can do that if you feel the need.

Last edited:

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
1. Purchase a Gen 1 R6 shock on eBay - remove the stock yellow spring
2. Obtain the following parts:
---RaceTech SRSP 5815116 spring
---RaceTech threaded preload adjuster for Gen1 R6 shock
---Bottom collar for spring
---bushings and shims for bottom shock mount
(Parts can be purchased directly from RaceTech, and bushings from McMaster-Carr. However, it is much simpler to order the entire lot from Matt at Formula390.com. He is a RaceTech reseller and has everything in stock, including the bushings and shims which he machines to correct specs. I would much rather buy from Matt, who researched and developed this shock conversion - he deserves the business.)

3. Install preload adjuster, spring and collar on shock
4. Uninstall OEM shock. Fit R6 shock, using bushings and shims for bottom shock eyelet.
5. Ride

This assumes you do not feel it necessary to rebuild the R6 shock before Step 3. Matt can do that if you feel the need.

I have R6 cores as well, so can provide the whole package ready to bolt up... or as the conversation with my wife goes:
"Holy Hell, is that ANOTHER shipment of shocks? How many of those R6 shocks have you bought and sold now anyway????!"
"What, these. I think you are thinking of those ones I had already rebuilt. These are for customers who just want to swap the parts without doing the full rebuild." (kicks copy of shipping invoice under the lathe)
"I thought the ones you have bought for that were already unpacked."
"... ... ... Uhmmmmmmm."
"You bought more, again, didn't you."
"... ... ... Uhmmmmmmm."
"You've got something something seriously wrong with you. You know that, right?"
"Hey, you were the one who wanted to marry me."

rick

So now to send out a set of the spacers I walk over to and open the drawer the parts are stored in, pull two of them out of the box, print out your receipt, tape them to the receipt, address and stamp an envelope, and mail 'em off! That seems to be working out well that way... even if Rick DID make fun of me most recently for shipping them to him that way. :) LOL
Ha! I was sincere in my compliments - it was fun and practical! :)

Trimapa

Hi I just joined and did post here earlier but I doesn't seems to come up :
Let's try again , Thanks to Diploman and Zippy49 I ended up here .
I have the option to buy a unused '02 R6 from a guy I know who fitted the Ohlins shock the day he bought that bike . I'm therefor after the Race Tech spring and all the goodies that go with it to mount it onto a my Duke 390 . I weigh in at nearly 200lbs
Please can you send me a quote with shipping to Spain ( 17252 = Zip code ) for these items and maybe for the whole complete unit , would it turn out to be more economical and practical instead of me buying the stock spring and go through the process of modifying the shock .

STUTX

I have R6 cores as well, so can provide the whole package ready to bolt up... or as the conversation with my wife goes:
"Holy Hell, is that ANOTHER shipment of shocks? How many of those R6 shocks have you bought and sold now anyway????!"
"What, these. I think you are thinking of those ones I had already rebuilt. These are for customers who just want to swap the parts without doing the full rebuild." (kicks copy of shipping invoice under the lathe)
"I thought the ones you have bought for that were already unpacked."
"... ... ... Uhmmmmmmm."
"You bought more, again, didn't you."
"... ... ... Uhmmmmmmm."
"You've got something something seriously wrong with you. You know that, right?"
"Hey, you were the one who wanted to marry me."

Hi. Price out the door?

Stuart.