SS screen oil filter for the 390 engines?

Old3

Country flag
The more I dig up on the 17/18 390 engines the less I think I want another one. WP seals, coolant swelling paper oil filters and catastrophic engine failures? Might be tied to the head gaskets too? Geez.

So, before I give up, are there any SS screen style oil filters for this engine? I searched but cant tell if there is a cross over with the dirt engines from KTM. Scotts does not list the 390 at all.

Thanks.

Chuditch

Surprised at your findings, maybe we should have a "never had an issue outside of normal wear and tear" thread to provide you with some other data? I will post one just for 2017 and after RC390s.

Old3

Country flag
Surprised at your findings, maybe we should have a "never had an issue outside of normal wear and tear" thread to provide you with some other data? I will post one just for 2017 and after RC390s.

Based on my forum scanning here and there, its hardly a surprise! Hahaa

I knew of various issues when I had my 2015 RC, and in its short 4,000 miles with me
I always kinda expected it to go boom.

zx2slow

People generally don't post online when everything is normal and working as expected. Seems to be a common thread within groups assuming that whatever they have is unreliable due to the constant discussion of problems.

D

Deleted member 452

I'm sure all the people that have less than 5K miles on their bikes will tell us how reliable they are but you actually have to ride a bike to know if it's reliable. I've ridden my Duke 390 30K miles over the last 3 years and the first motor was nothing but problems.

Old3

Country flag
People generally don't post online when everything is normal and working as expected. Seems to be a common thread within groups assuming that whatever they have is unreliable due to the constant discussion of problems.

Lifetime member at ktmtalk, had half a dozen older LC4s, three 950s, KTM MX bikes since 97 when nobody was MXing them. Some "known issues" Ive experienced, some never struck my bikes but I knew they were questionable and addressed what I could with certain measures, like converting known failure prone electronic points fuel pumps to to a vacume fuel pump. And converting my 505SXF CCT to manual adjuster over the stock hydro. Most likely they both were going to fail...

So, to a point I agree. But when it is 2 out of every five bikes, (which Ive seen as one stat among friends), and one of the two went boom twice, its a problem as its a 60% strike rate for head gaskets on a random group of bikes. Most of my information was gleaned on this forum, which is a very small community.

It seems very few, (especially Ari), trust these engines long term.

Bahwton, seems a far too common thing to have replaced an engine on a 390. Sorry to hear that and good your second has been holding together!

Last edited:

Old3

Country flag
"so am I winning at over 23,000mi? And does it still count even though my engine was replaced 8,000mi ago? Almost at 2 years of riding this bike (and now I have 3 others), started at 8500mi used.

Same story here! Our bikes must have been built (defectively) one right after another... I have 21K miles on the bike and replaced the motor after 13K miles."

I will stay out of the "probem free" 390 thread and keep searching for the SS screen oil filter here. Quotes like the one above are not found about the other big brand 300 class bikes in the USA. They are common in 390 threads. No motorcycle mag writers are literally pointing at any other brand 300/400 in a shootout and exclaiming "that WILL blow up" sooner or later.

So Im quite sure my concers are valid.

I will drop by KTM today to see if the 390 filter matches the dirt bike sizes for a SS filter option.