Tires for track use

I was hoping to get some feedback on my possible tires selection. My RC 390 will be for about 95% track use, I am a mid intermediate group rider and thinking of changing the OEM Rosso II tires and buy something different. My tire choices below in the stock sizes. I also will use tire warmers. Please let me know what you think about them. Metzeler are about $100 cheaper per set.

1. Pirelli Supercorsa SC
2. Metzeler M7rr

guzz46

I've never tried either of those tyres, but for track use I would of thought the Supercorsa's would be the preferred option, you could also consider Dunlop Alpha-13's, I run them and they're really sticky, I also went with the 140/70 rear, I would like to eventually try the Supercorsa's to see how they compare to the Dunlops, but they're hard to get down here, and expensive too.

micahpearlman

If there are slicks that fit I would highly recommend them over DOT race tires. I found, at least on my 600, switching to slicks from DOTs that the slicks last way longer and have more grip (I switched from Bridgestone DOTs to Pirelli slicks). There is such a profound difference that AFM (Northen California road race club) is allowing slicks in production classes. That being said I have no idea if anyone makes slicks that will fit -- I think these rims are bigger then a Moto3 bike...

I was hoping to get some feedback on my possible tires selection. My RC 390 will be for about 95% track use, I am a mid intermediate group rider and thinking of changing the OEM Rosso II tires and buy something different. My tire choices below in the stock sizes. I also will use tire warmers. Please let me know what you think about them. Metzeler are about $100 cheaper per set.

1. Pirelli Supercorsa SC
2. Metzeler M7rr

Correction - My friend Brian said I am slower than mid-pace intermediate group. :(

We will run Pirelli SuperCorsa DOT race in the stock sizes. Sticky little donuts using real race compounds. The Pirelli Corsa II that shipped on my 390 are pretty good. I will keep them for cold season track days and cool rain intermediate use.

ASM

We will run Pirelli SuperCorsa DOT race in the stock sizes. Sticky little donuts using real race compounds. The Pirelli Corsa II that shipped on my 390 are pretty good. I will keep them for cold season track days and cool rain intermediate use.

The KTM comes with Pirelli Diablo Rosso II not the Diablo Corsa II (unless it is different in Kansas). I was actually looking at the Corsa for track days but they do not come in 150s...at least not per Pirelli website. I also do not see the Supercorsa SC (which would be the DOT one) in that size...

I am happy to hear if Pirelli does have some other options than the Rosso II that might not be listed yet...

Last edited:

emeglasson

Do the 120 / 160 tires fit all right on the stock wheels? Both are obviously wider than stock, and it looks to me like the stock 150 is already a little too wide fore the rear wheel. Any thoughts?

ASM

Do the 120 / 160 tires fit all right on the stock wheels? Both are obviously wider than stock, and it looks to me like the stock 150 is already a little too wide fore the rear wheel. Any thoughts?

On top of that....how about the clearance to the swingarm?

mr-fabricator

I dont want to drop to a 140 rear but i wouldnt like to push a 160 either. Dunlop. alpha13's is what im running and they rock , trying the dunlop UB 02 next as thry shoukd be even better ..

lee

mr-fabricator

Im in perth ,Oz , was in stock over east . They have plenty apparently ?? Ub02 ( unbeaten o2 ) are available to , i can run both of these tyres in production racing , also a michelin and the perelli diablo rosso , . Everyone runs the diablo but i cant fault the dunlops thus far ..

lee

The KTM comes with Pirelli Diablo Rosso II not the Diablo Corsa II (unless it is different in Kansas). I was actually looking at the Corsa for track days but they do not come in 150s...at least not per Pirelli website. I also do not see the Supercorsa SC (which would be the DOT one) in that size...

I am happy to hear if Pirelli does have some other options than the Rosso II that might not be listed yet...

Sorry yes Rosso II's came on the bike -
But we do run SuperCorsa SC1 on the front and SC2 on the rear - I have a set mounted now - 110 front and 150 rear. We will run them all over the country but rarely in Kansas. We just fix the bikes in Kansas :)

Last edited:

mr-fabricator

Id love to try a detnof sc0's but as im not allowed to tun them theirs no point !!! Grrrrrrr

Anyone tried a Bridgstone BT090 ?? Used to use them on my old rgv

lee