Tires for track use

ASM

But we do run SuperCorsa SC1 on the front and SC2 on the rear - I have a set mounted now - 110 front and 150 rear. We will run them all over the country but rarely in Kansas. We just fix the bikes in Kansas :)

Thanks...Pirelli doesn't list the 150 for the DOT tire but it is good to know they are available...

Tokyolow81

So, does the 160 fit, or not? I'm running Bridgestone BT-003's on my DRZ (100% track) and they perform great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UMZenki

i can attest to the fact that you can run plenty fast on a Rosso II rear and SC front. Plus, they last for a really long time!

reenmachine

Country flag
Any new thoughts on this old thread? I'm ready to replace the Rosso IIs and the bike is seeing only trackday use now. I'm leaning toward the Alpha 13 in 110/70 and 150/60 from racetireservice.com at $240 for the set.

What's a source for the Supercorsas in our sizes?

tecknojoe

Country flag
I don't know how long the dunlops last. Here's two full days, + a couple sessions. Lot of life left

IMG_3193.JPG

tecknojoe

Country flag
No I'm using a 140. It's working fine for me, but I haven't had a hard day on it after rebuilding the suspension, only a couple sessions on a kart track

big_sur

SC's do seem to last a little longer but performance seems to be preference, though some complain about the a13 front and run a GPA-Pro up front with an a13 rear (what I currently have). I'm switching to Pirelli though just because of contingency. If you won every race and set every track record in our class, you could pull in over $1k from Pirelli. Dunlop would pay you $0.

Rexbo

Country flag
Here are all the options:

Pirelli
I'm currently running 110 Pirelli Supercorsa SC1 front with 140 Diablo Rosso 2 rear tire, and the combo is amazing for trackday use, especially since they'll last a bit longer. Very predictable, high level of grip, long life.

Front: 28 psi, there's a little ridge right at the trailing edge of the tread block, not sure what to adjust to fix that.
IMG_20160227_150730.jpg

Rear: 26 psi, overall decent wear but showing minor cold tearing towards the middle third as well as a pronounced lip from incorrect damping. I'll probably drop another half psi pressure and play with rear suspension settings to address that.
IMG_20160227_150624.jpg

Once I get the suspension dialed in, I'm probably going to move to the 120 Diablo Superbike SC1 front, 150 Supercorsa SC1 rear tire for racing since those have full race compounds.

I order all my tires from Dale @ Racers Edge Performance since he's a badass: Pirelli Race Tire Service | Racers Edge Performance

Bridgestone
Other folks are running the 120 R10 front tire or 110 RS10 front and 150 RS10 rear tire, and they seem to have good results without many complaints. There was some talk about the RS10 rear tire doing interesting things on corner entry but that's just word around the paddock. These seem to wear pretty decently as well, and Bridgestone has by far the best race contingency payout.

There's also the option of running a front 120 V01 slick, with the 150 RS10 rear which may give best grip. Still has not yet been tested to my knowledge.

Dunlop
The KTM cup kids have to run the A13s and complain about them incessantly. One of the kids switched off those Dunlops onto the Pirellis and dropped 3 seconds/lap immediately. They also offer nearly no contingency money so not the best option for anyone.

Michelin
Don't even think they make tires that'll fit the rear.

Shinko
Please don't

Last edited:

reenmachine

Country flag
Dunlop
The KTM cup kids have to run the A13s and complain about them incessantly. One of the kids switched off those Dunlops onto the Pirellis and dropped 3 seconds/lap immediately. They also offer nearly no contingency money so not the best option for anyone.

Be that as it may, I'm a long way off from being on the level of a KTM cup kid, so I probably wouldn't be capable of exposing the weaknesses of these. Might they be a solid track day tire for someone like me?

micahpearlman

Be that as it may, I'm a long way off from being on the level of a KTM cup kid, so I probably wouldn't be capable of exposing the weaknesses of these. Might they be a solid track day tire for someone like me?

I haven't tried the Dunlop Alphas (I run Pirelli SC) but all the people who have tried both the Dunlop Alphas and the Pirelli SC preferred the Pirellis. I'm sure the Alphas are fine for track day use though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk