Undecided Buyer

yo69xl

Hello Guys, I'm trying to pick between the RC390 and the Duke390 . I like both bikes but I would like you guys to help me decide which bike is better for me based on my riding style .
I will use the bike mostly to go to work (10 miles round trip) with mostly light traffic , and also to take weekend rides around South Florida where I live .

I know the Duke seems like a better commute bike and I like that bike , but I also like the looks of the RC way way moreeee :cool: so I don't really know what to do :( .

I thank you all in advance .

mr-fabricator

This is the biggest thing to decide , put up with the rc riding position but have the bike you'd prefer or have something more suitable to your needs ?

To be fair the duke is a great and fun bike , u will have fun on a weekend ride and you will also enjoy commuting ,

Tough choice , you will love either .

ArkansasDave

I agree, the rc will be more aggressive riding stance but better wind protection. If I were you and it was mostly city and I wasn't doing track days I would do the duke all day everyday. It's going to be more comfy and better riding position for being in traffic.

Treachery

Country flag
For your location and your described use, I'd have to agree with ArkDave. The Duke is impressive in person. From the reviews, apparently the saddle is an un-upholstered plank, though. Plan on a pad or wait on the aftermarket. I don't know if there's a PowerParts gel saddle.

ASM

I bought a Duke 390 for street duty. I have not ridden it much so far as we apparently trying to re-create the great flood in Kentucky this year...so I spent more time working on the ark lately... :rolleyes:

Anyway, the Duke is a fun little bike...I would even go so far as saying it is the most fun I had on any of my street bikes (various sport bikes over the years)...it is nimble, easy to throw around and the single cylinder has quite some pep to it. Certainly a great commuter/ride around bike - especially due to the up-right sitting position. As mentioned before...the seat is pretty awful, so you might want to look into swapping that...but that would be the same for the RC from what I hear.

Having said this...I do miss the looks of the RC...and even though I think the Duke 390 looks great (better than the 690 in my eyes actually), I am a sport bike guy at heart. The riding position of the RC is certainly way different and makes for a less comfortable ride in traffic etc. (although what is considered comfortable or tolerable is different for each person as your height/inseam etc. will change the rider triangle).

At the end of the day it comes down to deciding whether you wanna go with your heart (the RC) or common sense (the Duke). And nobody here really can make that decision for you...the good thing is...neither bike will disappoint you...

Last edited:

corners

A lot of people shy away from the RC because of the riding position. With the Powerparts seat I've been on 4-5 hour long trips and have nearly 2000 miles on the bike (bought it at the end of May). I may stop once on each trip for gas and once to eat something. Great gas mileage, I think about ~60 mpg. It's a blast on the curvy roads and I've never received so many compliments and questions at gas stations. At least 4-5 people have literally stopped me and asked about the bike... Some think it's an RC8 and some have never heard of KTM. One time I came out of the gas station and this couple was just looking the bike up and down like they'd never seen a motorcycle before. I've done all the maintenance myself as the dealer is lackluster regarding stocking parts and even oil for the bikes they sell. Maybe, (right now that's a big maybe) I'll trade it for a Duke next year, but it's just a blast out of the gate as is. If I had to do city riding everyday, then I might just a get a Duke, but if you're into riding the country backroads and know where the curves are or are going to the track - take the RC.

yo69xl

Thank you guys , it is starting to become clear what I already knew that the Duke would be better for my needs and conditions, but I think I will have a few more months to finally make my mind since Im planning to wait for the 2016 models to arrive hoping that they will have all the current issues addressed ( fingers crossed )

reenmachine

Country flag
Thank you guys , it is starting to become clear what I already knew that the Duke would be better for my needs and conditions, but I think I will have a few more months to finally make my mind since Im planning to wait for the 2016 models to arrive hoping that they will have all the current issues addressed ( fingers crossed )

What current issues?

Unless you know something I don't, there's nothing to wait for. The Internet can make you think so though.

yo69xl

The US Duke models are having all kind of overheating problems and radiator fan failure among other things .. All this I know by following the KTM Duke forum for quite some time now ,, and since the RC uses the same engine One can only assume that the problems can appear there as well .

corners

Have you considered the Enduro/EXC series or perhaps the "390 Adventure" will make an appearance on stage.

I haven't had any problems with overheating or the fan/radiator on the RC, but I'd imagine that in a hot climate with heavy city driving those components would be put to the test.

The RC has a steeper steering angle and targeted more to supersport geometry.

I talked with a fellow this weekend with a Duke. He has experienced the fan failure. Blade assembly comes loose on the motor shaft. It has been locktite'd on twice. He is considering a roll pin to secure the blade assy to the shaft.

yo69xl

I talked with a fellow this weekend with a Duke. He has experienced the fan failure. Blade assembly comes loose on the motor shaft. It has been locktite'd on twice. He is considering a roll pin to secure the blade assy to the shaft.

Tell your friend to talk to his dealer, I've heard some dealer are replacing the Fan for free .

ASM

Tell your friend to talk to his dealer, I've heard some dealer are replacing the Fan for free .

Yes, it is a warranty item. Unfortunately, they replace it with the same part which most likely will cause the same issue down the road. From what I have been reading, it is a design failure by KTM India to "better" the flow of hot air around the rider as many people in hot and muddy areas complained about that. Most people on the Duke forum replaced their fans with a Spal one to rectify...