Clip on question

rompus

So I am not crazy about the height of the stock handlebars and want to put clip ons on to get a racier position. From what I can see the lowest I could go with true clip ons would be about an inch because the throttle cables will hit the fairing ,I wonder if that little bit will make a difference. I also prefer the bars pulled together a little more so that is another plus. Hopefully someone with clipons can chime in.

isaac_

I have woodcraft but not with the stock triple so I can't speak to clearances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryanthegreat1

I have cut the knobs off the stock triple to run Renthal Clipons. I had to add length to the steering stops to keep the controls off the tank. No clearance issues with the cables or levers.They are easily 1.5" lower than stock.

green_bread

Country flag
I did the same as Ryan, just didn't do the steering stop. I need to do the stop though so I quit breaking brake lines when I crash.

isaac_

I have woodcraft but not with the stock triple so I can't speak to clearances.

I am replacing the top triple too but you have to do that if you want clipons since the bars are integrated into the triple tree correct?

You don't need a new triple. But there will be some clearance issues between the triple and the clip on without them. You would essentially be lowering the clip on on the tube.

In the technical section of this forum under Appearance & Body,
the thread "390 Duke top triple and clipons" shows what I have done.
A cheap mod if you can pick up a second hand triple from the wreckers with Chinese clipons
I had to make some steering stops (can purchase from KTM or Tyga) and remove the black mask under the screen for clearance.
Works well for me :)
20170425_102754.jpg
390 Duke top triple and clip ons"390Duketoptripleandclipons390 Duke top triple and clip ons