Exhaust development work

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Just wanted to give the group a heads up. I'm developing an exhaust that will replace the stock exhaust can but maintain the stock location. My intent is to be able to develop an exhaust that will meet (or maybe even exceed) the Akrapovik system, but not have a big can sticking out the side to get bashed up in a getoff. I've got a number of test exhausts welded up, and will be hitting the dyno hopefully later this week or next (I'm waiting on oil filters to arrive at the dealership so I can finalize the initial motor break-in and do the baseline dyno run to be able to compare the test exhausts against)...

I will have dyno results to publish with the development work...

I've been working on this for a while now, but wanted to finally announce now that it's getting closer and closer to finally becoming a reality! :)

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I'm with them! ^^^^

I'd have to buy a right belly pan half...

The intent is to maintain the stock exhaust exit location. Not sure why another belly pan would be necessary. I'm trying to get my hands on a cup bike belly as well, but from the looks of it they should be compatible. My chief concern is the TOTAL length of the system. It may end up requiring a bit of spaghetti piping ala the Britten. LOL

The dyno will be the final arbiter of the design, and I've got a LOT of testing to do... But the models look very promising.

A1VW2NV

Country flag

A1VW2NV

Country flag
My chief concern is the TOTAL length of the system. It may end up requiring a bit of spaghetti piping ala the Britten. LOL

The dyno will be the final arbiter of the design, and I've got a LOT of testing to do... But the models look very promising.
This is the same wall we have come against. There is approximately 12" to play with. The problem we found is making the exit bend to mate up with the stock exit location. A 12" long muffler/can does not provide much hush. I'm eager to see your results Formula390!

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I'm quite certain the OP is building an exhaust to fit under the belly, in the stock location. Many of us desire the stock look but with better performance and sound.

Correct! :)

Stock location, stock outlet. That's the desired implementation I'm working on building. I heard the oil filters arrived at the dealer finally, so should be able to get time I the dyno with the test systems hopefully within the next week.

micah360

awesome! The look of the hidden stock exhaust is one of my favorite traits on this bike. But I want more sound too!!!!

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
awesome! The look of the hidden stock exhaust is one of my favorite traits on this bike. But I want more sound too!!!!
There will CERTAINLY be more sound to be sure. I'm still considering between either perforated vs louver style baffle. Either would have stainless mating for packing. There's no performance difference between the two styles, just audio differences. I'll test both and see which I prefer... Not everyone will be satisfied with whichever I chose I'm sure tho... so I'm considering that I MAY do production options with both styles to pick from, or without a baffle at all if somebody wanted some BIG sound from the little motor... LOL

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Bagwell

Country flag
I am intrigued. Performance gain, sleek OEM look, maybe less heat on the rear shock if possible or at least room to have a heat shield, and some nice sound.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I'm getting closer to testing day. I spoke with the guys at the dealership earlier today and it's looking good to do the testing soon. The time on the dyno is sorta in their hands tho... plus, here in Texas everybody is running around like crazy screaming The Sky Is FALLING!!!! with Tropical Storm Bill coming in. Like we've never had rain before. {facepalm}