Exhaust development work

Don't be so hard on yourself. A good effort and data is data. It'll come in handy later on sometime.

Maybe for now a steering damper mounting would be a good project that many of us racers are looking for as well as real frame sliders.

Last edited:

b0Xcrash

Wow great stuff Matt!
Thanks for the efforts, sorry about the condition during..that sucks. Stay safe..

On another note for some reason I cannot reply to the other posts, the one about the boat anchor stock exhaust....nevermind it did not like me quoting you.

Last edited:

guzz46

If I read correctly, you tested your Powercone clone without the baffles and cat? the first ride I did on my Powercone was without the baffles and cat, which was way too loud, so I put both baffles back in while leaving the cat out and it felt like it had more power and torque with the baffles in, I don't have any dyno data, just a seat of the pants feeling, compared to the stock exhaust the Powercone feels like its shifted the power/torgue further up the RPM, I wonder what it would be like with the Akro map? more midrange and less peak hp? or more everywhere? I also wonder how much fuel range would suffer with the Akro map?

b0Xcrash

If I read correctly, you tested your Powercone clone without the baffles and cat? the first ride I did on my Powercone was without the baffles and cat, which was way too loud, so I put both baffles back in while leaving the cat out and it felt like it had more power and torque with the baffles in, I don't have any dyno data, just a seat of the pants feeling, compared to the stock exhaust the Powercone feels like its shifted the power/torgue further up the RPM, I wonder what it would be like with the Akro map? more midrange and less peak hp? or more everywhere? I also wonder how much fuel range would suffer with the Akro map?

Right it would(an you probably already knew this) since after baffles you would increase back pressure somewhere back around or closer to normal. Obviously the cat is going to further increase back pressure.

I have done this before "straight piping" bikes. back in the carb days you could change up jets and air cleaner to compensate out but you sometimes still lost low end grunt(torque).
Same with 2 strokes, change the shape and size of the expansion chamber to change power band, which can be very narrow.

I have also done this on efi bikes, liters and I always lost low end torque and even sometimes most of the mid, but high rpm pull was nice and you could actually shift without clutching or blipping the throttle, almost one long smooth continuous shift.

I think you are onto something, if you have a PC unit, try loading the map for the Arko and use it as a base, you can tune it at every interval and make your own map....of course.....without a dyno this can be very hard

Backmarker

Matt, thank you for all your hard work, sorry it didn't turn out the way you hoped. I would go for option 2, I love the Britten exhaust. But I don't know if it would be worth all the work and expense for you. As a racer I like the stock position for less crash damage. I haven't decided what I will do with the exhaust, and I won't till I get the suspension the way I want it. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag

The only way to know, is to test it on the dyno. My "butt dyno" was showing that cans 1 and 2 would be my best performers. It FELT like they were making more power than the stock exhaust. The dyno proved irrecoverably my butt dyno is miss-calibrated and that what I thought didn't match reality of what the cold hard numbers of the dyno proved. Placebo effect is a wonderful thing. ...but, who's to say I'm right. Put that bike on the dyno! Run your Powercone and the stock exhaust back to back and see. Share the dyno data.

One of the things Chad and I have discussed at length is, this forum... at least for now... is not squid central. We are all doing our best to produce factual, provable, repeatable, hard evidence. "Show me your dyno" is our battle cry. :) Everything else is wild speculation. My Powerclone just didn't perform. It killed performance, just like my other designs did. The header is just too short as well. No, I wasn't testing with the CAT. I don't have one to just slip in there and test it with, obviously. For the baffle, I didn't have one for my Powerclone. I didn't have any data on what the db killer/baffle looked like, measurements, photos, nadda. So I had to run my clone without it. -=GENERALLY=- people have reported it as being more power without the db killer / baffle. So, I ran the combination I could most accurately simulate without actually spending the $450 to buy a competitors product, just to test once and throw out. It didn't match my math predictions, and I wanted to see how it did to see what it's performance was. I might have reproduced it incorrectly to measurements provided. The measurements may have been off somewhat. From what I've read from blokes in the UK who have run it on their dukes, it's down on power from stock exhaust by about 3HP. My findings confirmed that. It was at that point I stopped cursing myself as I was seeing run after run after run coming up short for my designs. Turns out, it just doesn't work. My math was wrong, the engine tech has advanced too far from when those formulas were developed, old time racers from the 60's-80's who raced singles and hand fabricated their reverse cone megaphones were remembering things wrong, or who knows! It's all speculation. The Dyno showed, it was all for naught. The length is short, so it's not making the HP target it needs. This is likely why the Akrapovic system is as long as it is, and the stock muffler puts the cat where it does. If I move my Can1 to that point on the primary header, I expect I'll make the HP I was missing from testing yesterday. I have serious doubts I'll possibly be able to get that to fit tho.

To guess at the correct primary header length, we'd need a few measurements:
1) Measurement from the head to where the powercone primary header increases in diameter.
2) Measurement on the Akraprovic, from the head to where the "resonant chamber" is. That's the big bulbous wart on the exhaust where the stock muffler is between the swingarm and motor...
3) Measurement from the head to where the CAT is on the stock exhaust.

Of course as Chad pointed out to me, the REAL way to find this measurement is to take a straight pipe, way too long, and dyno test it. Fix the AFR along the way for each test length. Once you have the AFR correct, and your data, cut an inch off the header. Lather, Rinse, Repeat as necessary. Collect the datapoints. You should see performance start to climb util it peaks, and starts to fall off again. There's your primary header length. Of course, to do this, requires a dyno, lots of time, and in my case would cost LOTS of money for dyno runs when, odds are, KTM did just this. Akrapovic probably did too. So, one could "borrow" their results and test at those discrete points and you'll probably be pretty dang close. I believed in my math, in the tales of the ol' timer racers I consulted, and in the the formulas I'd sourced and calculated painstakingly over the last 4-5 months. I'd stated publically that I felt that the Akrapovic system was "way too long". Well, maybe the total system length is, but they seem to have, as near as I can tell now, gotten their primary header right and....

I. Was. Wrong.

Last edited:

b0Xcrash

I. Was. Wrong.

Your failure is a win for others. I mean its all the same life, bikes, etc. learn from your mistakes or failures. Or for that matter not repeating that area of study or testing, since it did not work the first time.
Again everyone is very appreciate of your time, effort and money spent thus far.

So its all good, no need for Option 1....failure can be tough when its closer to the moment. Fresh wounds, give it time to create a scab...collect the data, step away from that project for a bit and focus on some other little wins.
Then you can always go back if you so choose.

What was interesting or I find interesting is the run with the Arka map only was the most on HP was not bad, most linear, except on low end toque. The torque was down where stock was on the low and smoothed out on upper end and actually pulled ahead the run 25 with more torque in upper RPM's...so better on track from about 7.5k and up, where you might be riding more in that rev range.
Also it did not drop off like the stock did, which stock dropped straight off a cliff on both HP and torque in the reds

Of course, like you said, I bet any $$ they have their own dyno at Akrapovic and spent many hours tuning each interval, hence why its better with all stock loading that map.
Also they are not tuning for EPA and emissions passing only in mind.

Now with the custom exhaust, what is interesting is the HP curve, its almost linear....nice smooth delivery. No sudden drops or dips, from about 6.5 its almost flat. Good delivery everywhere...if only we could move it up about 5-10 hp throughout. ;)

Also the torque is pretty flat as well(might be because its closer to base at low revs as well) it does drop off after 7.5 so that's not too great, it actually drops below clutch out delivery...but cannot win them all.

Also keep in mind the years of development and design and testing Arkapovic has invested into all their exhaust, and proven. Then of course KTM engineers on the stock setup, years of dev, design, testing with still being able to pass emissions codes...so yeah. They have teams of minds and racers and engineers...

But I do think snaking pipes everywhere like the Britten might be the key, also like Yoshi did in the past tapering the sections could change flow and acoustics...its all build it, and test it, no go, not what you want, back to the bench, the madness over and over...... without computer cads and programs/simulations to calculate back pressure and effect on combustion and etc.

Last edited:

SPG

Hi Matt,
First of all, thanks for all of the work and data collection! I am pretty excited about your project and your results; even if not what you intended.

BTW, that was a pretty massive low end gain. Since you changed a bunch of other stuff, it is hard to know what to attribute it to, but to that end, you could be a little long on your primary, or had a significant resonance tuning change from running the airbox open.

Since I am trying to run as stock as possible, I find the stock exhaust with/without Acra map hugely helpful. Can you post or PM me the AF graphs as well? Also, was this with 10% ethanol fuel or some other gas variant? Since Chad found the map to be super rich, and Ryan found them to be pretty lean, I'm happy to have more data points to see which is more likely the case or find out if different fuel causes the discrepancy. If just loading the Acra map gains 3 hp, that is by far the cheapest and easiest HP boost for a stock bike!

Finally, since I am racing, I don't really care how the bike sounds. I like the improved performance and maintaining the stock location. You mention an improvement in performance by gutting the cat... Did you get a chance to dyno this? I found that the cat is pretty easy to remove by using a hole saw on the bottom of the boat anchor. You cut through the two layers of steel, ant the cat is there for the gutting. Easier than a full muffler disassembly. If the cat removal actually improves things, that would be cool, but on a new exhaust, it looks like a free flowing cat is maybe the least of our worries after the little exit pipe, and the tiny snorkel.

Anyway, thanks for the earlier data posted, and any additional bits you have to share.

-Sean

Guyhowdy

Not sure if I'm in the minority here, but my main desires of an exhaust are better performance and stock location...I don't want more noise. I don't have the technical knowledge, tools or skills to gut the cat from my stock exhaust. If one were to sell new, cat-gutted exhausts, I'd definitely be interested in purchasing that. I'd also like to see some dyno graphs of stock vs gutted vs akra on the same bike all other variables the same. Would the akra and the gutted have the same results?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Hi Matt,
First of all, thanks for all of the work and data collection! I am pretty excited about your project and your results; even if not what you intended.

BTW, that was a pretty massive low end gain. Since you changed a bunch of other stuff, it is hard to know what to attribute it to, but to that end, you could be a little long on your primary, or had a significant resonance tuning change from running the airbox open.

Since I am trying to run as stock as possible, I find the stock exhaust with/without Acra map hugely helpful. Can you post or PM me the AF graphs as well? Also, was this with 10% ethanol fuel or some other gas variant? Since Chad found the map to be super rich, and Ryan found them to be pretty lean, I'm happy to have more data points to see which is more likely the case or find out if different fuel causes the discrepancy. If just loading the Acra map gains 3 hp, that is by far the cheapest and easiest HP boost for a stock bike!

Finally, since I am racing, I don't really care how the bike sounds. I like the improved performance and maintaining the stock location. You mention an improvement in performance by gutting the cat... Did you get a chance to dyno this? I found that the cat is pretty easy to remove by using a hole saw on the bottom of the boat anchor. You cut through the two layers of steel, ant the cat is there for the gutting. Easier than a full muffler disassembly. If the cat removal actually improves things, that would be cool, but on a new exhaust, it looks like a free flowing cat is maybe the least of our worries after the little exit pipe, and the tiny snorkel.

Anyway, thanks for the earlier data posted, and any additional bits you have to share.

-Sean

Pump gas. Sorry, I don't have AFR for the w/wo Acra map comparrison. Most of my graphs I have don't have AFR. We tested with it, but because I had the same results for AFR across the various tested configurations for my designs, I think he stopped including it when he was exporting the graphs. I'll talk to him next time I'm down there and see if he has that data available still to export out and if so I'll share it.

I have not dyno'd the gutted stock exhaust. It was Lee / mr-fabricator who posted that he had gutted the cat out of the stock exhaust and that it "made a difference", tho that was without dyno backup. It was on this post:
http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/en...2-stock-exhaust-louder-post1827.html#post1827

I did talk with Chad this morning about the possibility of doing a side by side run back to back with a stock and with a gutted stock exhaust if I (we) can manage to get one in his hands. He will have a street RC390 on the dyno in a few weeks for some tuning work, so that would be the timeframe for when we might be able to get that done. If we can manage to find a donor stock exhaust from somebody here, I'd be happy help with performing the CAT-ectomy, weld it back up, and then mail it off to Chad to test with at that same time... Anybody who's updated to the Akrapovic or Arrow exhaust feel like donating to the research cause?

SPG

Hi Matt,
If you can get the individual dyno run data from the guy, I have the Dynojet software and the AFR should be encoded in the run data. It should be easy to pick out (and post if desired).

Glad to know it's pump gas, I'll assume 10% ethanol unless you went to some effort to find ethanol free gas.

Finally, I have a de-catted exhaust. I could probably mail it to you for the test and subsequent return.

-Sean

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Hi Matt,
If you can get the individual dyno run data from the guy, I have the Dynojet software and the AFR should be encoded in the run data. It should be easy to pick out (and post if desired).

Glad to know it's pump gas, I'll assume 10% ethanol unless you went to some effort to find ethanol free gas.

Finally, I have a de-catted exhaust. I could probably mail it to you for the test and subsequent return.

-Sean

I'll ask him when I'm down there next week. I've got to bring them some parts I'm machining up for them so if they have that data I'll have him dump it out in another graph for me.

Yeah, 10% ethanol. Whatever the premium pump dispensed into the gas can that morning at HEB grocery is what I used. I don't use any race fuels. Never have.

It would be mailed to Chad / cjwell, assuming he's up for testing it when he tunes the stock bike in a few weeks. I'll start a PM with us all to confirm.

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
Dang dude. That's genuinely impressive work. I hate it for you that it didn't work out (at least not yet), but huge ups for the effort and huge thanks for sharing it all with us. Here's to your further developments in whichever direction. If we end up at the same place and the same time, a cold one is on me! Or a biscuit!

owspeed

Country flag
Matt,

I cannot thank you enough for taking this on and detailing the process so well.

Your work is appreciated.

It might not have been the results you wanted but to be you get an A+!

William
Santa Cruz, Ca

OK, LOTS of data and developments since yesterday. Sorry about not getting back to everyone sooner... I got an INCREDIBLE migraine from yesterdays testing, most likely due to Welders Metal Fume Fever due to Zinc heavy metal poisoning. In the name of expediency and ease of material procurement I used some EMT electrical conduit for my baffle material. Well, this is Zinc coated. I'd removed all the Zinc from the OD of the conduit, but failed to realize there must have also been Zinc coating on the ID of the conduit. For the day of dyno testing, I was basically standing in direct path of the exhaust, and as the exhaust heated up, the Zinc must have fumigated, which I then breathed in... all day long. I thought I was just becoming dehydrated (due to insurance purposes I was not allowed to stand in the building while the dyno was being run, so I was just outside the bay door, in the July Texas Sun... All. Day. Long. Anyway... nobody cares about that... they wanna see results.

So, what happened?

A LOT of this:
3Dg96gAVnQqLiodYfM6NzJ8rjeOBL8b4KvkFRxxGbPA=w476-h846-no

but y'all knew that.

Show me the DATA!

So, what are the results. In summary, a failure. Failing publicly is never easy. Admitting you failed doesn't come easy to some. I don't have any ego attached to the design. It's not an extension of -=ME=- as a person. I console myself in realizing... if this was easy, anybody could do it. I do have a few options, and I'm interested in the feedback from those interested in an aftermarket exhaust as to what their thoughts and feelings are... but first, the data!!!
vt2e-92r0G1shknCChnmw974s6TYa72-WOpavesODDM=w1669-h655-no

So what are we looking at here?

I'll explain.
- Run_003: Baseline. This is completely stock. Bone. No modifications or changes. 624 miles on the clock, initial service performed. Run in with MotoMan breakin (run it hard, seat those rings in GOOD!) This produced 39HP on that dyno. Note, not all dyno's produce the same number. The point is CONSISTENCY so while on this dyno with this test bike made 39HP (their report is that their dyno produces conservative numbers), the same bike with everything the same might make 41HP on another. It's not the number, so much as it's what does it show after changes have been performed. The point being, you can't compare Dyno X to Dyno Y results. You can really only compare Dyno X to Dyno X with run vs run. Everybody up to speed, ok, let's start making changes and testing!

- Run_016: This is with the Akrapovic ECU map applied. Nothing else changed. Stock intake trunk in place. Stock airbox lid. Stock air filter. Stock exhaust. Stock stock stock except for the ECU change. This produced more torque, and more HP. It produced +3 HP and more power across the board. The stock mapping for emissions is lean. We've seen those dyno results and know the problems associated with the stock ECU map, and with the Akrapovic map. This is why we all have been waiting, begging, for the Power Commander V. The map Chad has developed for the PCv (who I got my PCv from) is built on top of the Akrapovic ECU map, so to use his map, I needed to Akrapovic map on my ECU. We can likely consider this another baseline view.

- Run_025: This was the best of the runs of all the combinations. Well, we've got a buttload of more torque and HP down low, but peak HP is lacking. In fact we are lacking both torque and HP where it matters most. So what changed and what happened. After the Akrapovic ECU map baseline was run, the bike was taken off the dyno and a lot of changes happened. The airbox lid was modded, the intake trunk was ditched. The stock air filter was swapped for the K&N filter. The Power Commander was added. We started testing my exhaust designs. Chad (cjwell) has pointed out, rightly, that "You aren't comparing apples to apples. You need to test the stock exhaust with all those modifications against your design." and he's completely correct. To be fair, I was paying a LOT for every run, so every datapoint cost me $$$. Still, that's one I might have considered running prior to bolting on my exhaust. I should note, I wasn't trying to test a final design here. I had 7 different megaphone configurations (various lengths, taper angles, and primary big end diameter) and 3 different primary header extension combinations, for 21 total test points, plus a clone I'd made of the GPR Powercone (which I figured would be my primary competition) that I'd also welded up to match the measured size/design as I wanted to see how my designs fared against it (yes, it has a cat and db killer, and I tested without those two as it's reported removal of both is necessary for maximum power. In the end, I found the "powerclone" as I took to calling it, produced only 36hp, or 3hp down from my bone stock configuration, and 6hp down from the ECU map basline run, were as my best performing design was generally 0.5hp down from bone stock (aka Run_003) and 3.5hp down from the Akrapovic baseline (aka run_016). Total and complete failure of my designs. This is why we test tho. I have a LOT of graphs and dyno data, but in the end, it comes down to that one graph. So, where did those HP and torque gains come from? Almost certainly NOT form the exhaust. These are almost certainly due to the airbox lid mod and the K&N filter. The exhaust plays a part in that, but it's almost certain one would see this with any exhaust, doesn't matter which. Stock, Akrapovic, Powercone, Straight Pipe Header with no muffler. My exhaust design played no part of the HP and Torque improvements that we are seeing down low. That's all airbox.

What about AFR / Tune?

Some will ask (Yeah but what's your AFR) and that's been gone over by Chad and I. I did not tune for each combination. I used the "Chad PCv map" with the Akrapovic base on the ECU. All my designs were consistently running a pretty flat AFR of 13.2 to 13.7. Lean. But they were all consistently lean the same amount. Here is a data graph with AFR of my Pipe #1 with my three different header extension lengths:
FfMUmhDAk0maUXwz2j5qvWscCdJWWQahiEUfwvW2ZdY=w1669-h815-no

So what are we seeing here.
Run_025: Can 1 - Extension short.
Run_034: Can 1 - Extension medium
Run_043: Can 1 - Extension long

The AFR for each of the can designs and lengths look all pretty much exactly like this, between 13.2 and 13.7. So, the PCv isn't tuned to the design combinations I was trying, but they were all off the same amount. So while it wasn't producing the peak HP it could potentially, it's not THAT far off from what it could do. It's low, but were talking most likely faction of a HP, not 1, 2, or 3hp differences here.

Why Test different lengths for the primary header?

The math predicted a few primary header lengths, and so I tested each can design, with all three extension lengths. In the end, Can 1 - Extension short was my best performing combination. Can 4 - Extension long had a higher peak HP, but it took a hit on torque across the board and HP down low.

In the end, the results show my primary header lengths were still too short. Why didn't I test longer. Well 1, the math predictions showed I was testing what I thought would be correct, and 2) I was limited by what lengths I could try and get it to fit in the stock exhaust location. Any longer of a length, is going to require some SERIOUS welding and labor, to try and get that extra length of header into that confined space, without impacting performance. Chad will yell at me for this (and I and NOT comparing to myself) but what it's going to take to get the extra primary header length into that confined space is something akin to the Britten V1000 exhaust. Arguably one of THE most gorgeous motorcycles ever made, light years ahead of it's time, and an excellent example of motorcycle exhaust spaghetti where John had to bend and shape his headers in twists and turns to get the header lengths correct to all be the right lengths and meet at the right location.
View attachment 842

So, what's the take-away?

Well, my designs failed to meet the design objectives of:
1) More Power
2) More Sound
3) Retain Stock Exhaust footprint and exit

Y'all on the forum want all three. What my testing has shown is, it's reasonably easy to get any two: How? From testing and various data, like so:
1) More Power, More Sound, Lose Stock Footprint - Buy the $900 Akrapovic. You don't retain the stock exit, and have a big can on the side, but you get more power, and more sound. This is the clear choice for most racers.
2) More Power, Stock Footprint, Not Louder - Gut the cat out of your stock exhaust. This is free (assuming you are or know a welder who will do it for you) and just involves a lot of cutting, banging, and welding back up.
3) Stock Footprint, More Sound, the Same or LESS Power - This is the bane of slip-on "performance" exhaust. We've all seen the squids out there with loud pipes save lives, as you pass them with your quite stock exhaust system. The $450 GPR system is effectively (at least according to my dyno runs) an expensive noise maker, which hurts overall engine performance. If someone has dyno data that says otherwise, I'd love to see it, but I've LOOKED and everything I've found seems to confirm my dyno results. The designs I tried, well... they failed. I couldn't get a combination which I've tried yet which retains the stock location, produces more sound, AND produces more power. If it were easy, everyone would do it.

More testing? Maybe. I dunno.

I'm not sure. I have some soul searching to do. There are two (possibly three) dyno tests I can still do.
1) Put the stock exhaust back on and test that with the other mods. I skipped this, but at this point ALL it will prove is that my design didn't work even more.
2) Measure and test for longer primary header. I can measure from the primary header to where the CAT in the stock can starts. This will give me a good length for the stock primary header. I also need to get a measurement from the end of the stock primary header piece to the resonant chamber on the Akrapovic. If these measurements differ, I might need to test both, thus the possibly three dyno tests. This is where my design seems to have primarily failed. The can1 design might still outperform stock, and maybe match the Akrapovic system, but the question is, what to do with all that extra header length??? Getting that all stuffed into that small a space will NOT be easy, if it's even possible at all!

Options for moving forward:

Well, as I see it, there are really only four options remaining to me:
Option 1 - Go sit in a hole in the backyard and rock myself to sleep as I cry.

Option 2 - See if I can spaghetti that extra length into the stock exhaust space/location. I don't know if this is possible... much less how much it would cost to manufacture. It wouldn't be cheap. Certainly not in the $399-450 price point. There's just too much labor in trying to get that all welded up, in a professional production process. I'm NOT going to manufacture something that looks like Billy Bob stuck it together with a battery powered stick welder! If I can't produce something that rivals the Big Boys I'm not interested in doing it. That means I'd most likely be in the realms of the price point of the Akrapovic $900 system possibly +-150. I don't know what the market will bear but, I would think if I could produce a system that matched the Akrapovic system (the best performing exhaust currently) performance -=AND=- retained the stock location, -=AND=- made more sound (but not TOO much) that would justify a higher price point. Probably not by much tho. I know racers would like it so they didn't have a can on the side to be damaged, and street guys would like it because it retains the stock profile but gains HP and sound. Is this possible. I have no idea!!! Maybe. I need to figure out if I even want to move forward in trying to attempt this.

Option 3 - Ditch the idea of retaining the stock location. Move the pipe out to the side of the bike or possibly some other location (I know some have asked about a high exit) and compete head to head with Arrow and Akrapovic. This would be a possibility if testing showed the longer primary ends up producing more HP, and if there's just no way (physically or financially) to make option 2 work. If it doesn't meet at three design goals, but it still produces a quality product that'll compete... Maybe.

Option 4 - Ditch working on exhaust, at least for now. I have to decide if I want to even try going forward with the exhaust development, or move on to my next targeted development areas for real Frame Sliders and heavy duty case covers.

So... that's it. The bare truth. I tried, and I publicly failed. I may recover the exhaust development work with more testing, and it may be possible to financially fabricate a quality product that works (rather than just makes a lot of noise)... but I also might just grab the loud handle, dust myself off, and move on to the next thing. I'm interested in feedback, and what y'alls thoughts are.

RoninJames

yea brother, sorry its not the news you and we all were hoping for, but good on you to take it on and put that work in.
very appreciated brother

ToraTora

Country flag
Hey Matt,

Collecting data is a positive thing. You create opportunities to learn with each step. These are successes! Seriously. ;)

I like the look of the pipe coming out of the bike. If you make a fancy looking baffle you can show it off too. :)

It seems that you really need a better dyno situation. There is some open source dyno software available to run on your own built machine, and Dyno Jet makes a small dyno for small displacement engines. A buddy of mine in Colorado has one--they are wicked cool. Hmm just looked it up tops out around 35hp, so no good for your project. But the open source just might be the ticket for you.

Anyway great work! And thanks for posting! :)

SPG

Well, I managed to get some dyno time this weekend, and tried the stock everything with Acra map, and everything the same with a gutted catalytic converter. The gutted cat smoothed out the curve slightly, didn't cause any new issues, leaned out the bike .25-.5 of a point, and bumped the horsepower appx .5hp. The dyno guy speculated that we increased the flow, which helped the power, but probably lost a bit from leaning out from the high 12s to the low 13s. He said in his experience, the singles like around 12.8 which was where we were running with the stock exhaust.

It should be noted that this was a pretty new exhaust with the cat, so a bike with 20K miles will likely be a little worse for flow. With the new exhaust, removing the cat is a small enough gain by itself that I probably wouldn't bother, but at least it didn't hurt anything.

Also, I was very happy to see that with 89 octane, non-ethanol fuel, my AFR was a very flat, stable line which was pretty much spot on for where I wanted it. Throttle response is good and nice and smooth as you are just rolling it on. Very easy to control.

If I get a chance, I'll try to post up some graphs a little later.

-Sean

-Sean

SPG

As referenced above. Acra map, stock exhaust vs. removed catalytic converter.

-Sean

Attachments

• 390 HP.jpg
    390 HP.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 693