Handlebars and Heel Plates

SPG

I'm looking to rise the handlebars on my 390.. looking at my different options... kinda makes it hard because the handlebar are built right into the triple... I don't really want to mill the stock positions out for clip-ons incase I wanted to switch it back or sell it.

Seems to me that what needs to happen is something that goes in the stock bar opening that goes up however much rise you want which you can attach another piece of bar to or something. What I'm wondering is if something like this would work: Rox Speed FX 2? Black Pivoting Handlebar Risers | 503-427 | J&P Cycles

The bottom part would go in where the stock opening is, and then you just attach the bars back up to the top part... would this work? If not anyone have any idea's?

Thanks

The only problem is you would need to have those adapters machined with a taper (and a couple bolt holes) to have them fit where the bars do.
-Sean

psych0hans

Country flag
I'm looking at buying these as well, tho I'll probably opt for a duke triple if it fits, if it doesn't, I'll figure things out with a grinder :p
I'm running standard no rise clipons and it feels fine, but mine is just a race bike though.

If you want to take a gamble there's china versions for a fraction of the cost.

51mm High Lift 1" Riser Clip on Handlebar Fit 05 08 09 Aprilia RSVR RSV1000R | eBay

I have a standard set of china ones on my 390 currently, only thing I did was replace the hardware (bolts) with good quality bolts. Other than that for $50 I can't tell a difference.

Arahant

Country flag
Yeah I didn't realize they were tapered inside, I went and took it apart after reading your message and I see what you mean. That makes things more difficult. damnit. Why do they have to make things so difficult for us.

I'd love to know if the duke triple would fit on the RC... I was comparing the pictures of what they look like, and it looks like on the RC the middle bolt attaches to the triple down below where the bolts attach on the forks... whereas on the duke all the bolts are on the same level... not sure how much it would matter... plus you'd have to move ignition..

If it was actual clips-ons in place originally it wouldn't be that hard to simple get new clip-ons, but even if you got a spacer to try and push out past the stock place the bars go in... it would look pretty weird having them still there without milling them down/away as the other on this thread has done... I don't really want to have to mill it if I can get away with it. I'd probably just leave it stock rather then mill that.

Maby machining those parts I listed and taping the bolt holes might still be worth it... maby I could contact the company that makes them and see if they could make some... might be more expensive but I bet there are other people that would be interested in some.

Arahant

Country flag
Alternatively I wonder if you could remove the stock triple and mill out the bar openings so they arn't tapered... then all you would have to do is tap the ends of the pivot handlebar risers and get new bar's to put all the stuff on.

tt2013

Hello. Can you please tell me how you removed the stock handlebar from the top triple tree? I remove two bolts holding the handlebar but they will still not come off.

psych0hans

Country flag
Hello. Can you please tell me how you removed the stock handlebar from the top triple tree? I remove two bolts holding the handlebar but they will still not come off.

There are two bolts on each side of the triple and one behind each handlebar which need to come off.