Just picked on up

Flippn

Country flag
Just picked one up

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I just picked up an RC390 this morning...took it straight to the track. Bike was priced at $5499. OTD price is $6950.

My other bike is a 2008 Ninja 250 so my short review is a comparison between the two. Note that I ride strictly at the track track and my knowledge of bikes is pretty limited (sorry, I just ride them and bring it to the expert when it needs work).

Arriving at the track, my plan was to break the bike in and just take it easy.

Tires are Pirelli Diablo Rosso which felt fine. I turned the ABS off. There is a hidden button below the two buttons on the dash. You press and hold that hidden button for a few seconds until the ABS indicator starts to flash. Brakes felt ok, I was able to keep with my normal two finger pull. Hoping that upgraded pads can improve the way it grabs though.

Biggest impression for me is how much easier this bike turns compared to the Ninja 250. The track is bumpy and I didn't set up the suspension (since I don't know how) so I was bouncing around a bit.

Though I planned to take it easy, I managed to twist the throttle all the way quite a few times. Power delivery seemed linear, I didn't feel a kick in the a$$...but it may be due to the way I was riding...or maybe it still needs break in. Bottom end power seemed lacking, I could feel more power in the mid toward the top range.

By the way, there is no slipper clutch. I dropped a few gears coming a little hot and the rear end started jumping around. Need to learn to rev match.

I'd like to get clip-ons to achieve a more aggressive riding postion but it looks like it'll need new triple clamps to accomplish that.

I have pricing and availability for track parts, not cheap but I'll eventually get them unless after market pieces become available sooner.

Sorry I don't have top speed sata since I didn't want to hold the throttle open for too long.

Overall, I'm happy with the bike. I just need to get to the track more often to try and push it to its potential.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

DCMoney

Country flag
What mods did you have done to your 250 track bike?

I'm coming off a 250 race bike and should be receiving my RC any day now, it will be strictly a race bike.

Flippn

Country flag
What mods did you have done to your 250 track bike?

I'm coming off a 250 race bike and should be receiving my RC any day now, it will be strictly a race bike.

Only performance mod on my 250 is a slip-on. I plan to bring both to the track in a couple of weeks for back to back comparison. Here's a picture of me on the 250.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Flippn

Country flag
Took both the RC390 and Ninja 250 to the track yesterday. It rained the day before and there was still standing water on the track so I didn't want to push hard. Was only able to confirm that the 390 is a lot easier to turn; the Ninja felt heavy in comparison. Also, confirmed my original thought that the bottom end on both bikes were pretty close but mid and top speed goes to the 390 (maybe gearing has some to do with it?).