Lower shock mount width clearance tolerances / fscking Bajaja rant!!!

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
So, we've been working on the suspension for a customers bike here today. We are fitting up a JRi shock as well as some machine work on the lathe for R6 shock and fork suspensions orders for two other customers. Part of that was fabricating up some bushing spacers for the lower shock mount for the two R6 shock orders... well, while fitting up the JRi shock on the customers bike, as we were pulling the stock shock, I noticed something... odd. It seemed looser than expected based on my prior experience when I pulled the shock (so so many times) on the Formula390 test mule. So, I did the unfathomable and actually measured the customers swingarm mount space for the lower shock mount... Then I measured the Formula390 Test Mule swingarm. Son Of A ******!!!! Turns out, the machinist over at Bajaja are ************!!!

So the difference in the bottom swingarm shock mount between the two bikes is 1.8mm!!! Really! OK, that's just the thickness of a few pieces of paper to most folks, but to a machinist, where anything over 0.001" is a mile, that's just NOT ******** ACCEPTABLE! If I'd turned in a part where from one to the next I had 1.8mm deviations (That' 0.070"!!!) I'd be handed my walking papers! I just can't wrap my head around some of the corner cutting KTM is doing on the RC390. When we were seeing bearings without grease, that was one thing. That's assembly Q&A. Somebody in a rush might miss it. It's not great, but I can see that happening in India. But... for the MACHINIST to be making THAT much of a tolerance???! No. No way. That's just NOT right! Only having the Formula390 test mule on hand when I was doing the various testing with the R6 shock swap development, I had only ever had that one bike. I had measured the factory OEM shock, and used that as a basis for swap candidates. Anything at or under that measurement was going to be acceptable. What never occurred to me however, was that the swingarm machining would have such WILDLY varying tolerances on it's machining. I knew that folks fitting the R6 shock would need bushing spacers. I just never figured those spacers would need to be different based on their actual bikes machined swingarm. I'm baffled, horrified, frustrated, and much to my amazement shocked to see such deplorable tolerances. I shouldn't be, based on what we've seen on the bike in the way of Q&A and various other screwups by Bajaja but I have MUCH higher standards for my fellow machinists. ESPECIALLY considering they have to be cranking these things out on a CNC! That means the button pushers operating the machines aren't even practicing the most elementary of practices of cutter compensation. I'm shaking my head here, in frustration and abject bewilderment.

Anyway, end result was I ended up fabricating up extra spacer bushings for the two customers with the R6 shocks, so that they can fit the shock on their bikes based on what their specific swingarm clearances are. KTM doesn't have any actual spec on what the clearance SHOULD be, but based on standard engineering fit spec it's looking like a target of .5mm / .25mm per side, or 0.018" / 0.009" puts things in the middle of the spec for "Close Running" and "Free Running" fitment, and seems like a reasonable fitment should be.

I'd also advise others that when you are fitting a shock to your bike, measure what clearances you are getting on your lower shock mount between the shock and the swingarm. If you don't have feeler guages, you can use a piece of paper as a guide. In general, printer paper is usually around 0.003" and 0.004" thick. So, you can fold it over and measure with two pieces (you can spray some WD-40 or light oil to get the pieces to hold to one another) to get a measurement of 0.006" and 0.008"... "ish". It's not the BEST way to test for clearance, but it's better than the ol' Calibrated Mark One Eyeball test for distances that small at an angle you can't directly see anyway. Or... spend $10 and go get yourself a set of feeler gauges. Yer gonna need them for when you go to adjust your valves anyway! :)

A******S!!!!1

rage.jpg

Diploman

We will probably see similar missteps when BMW begins emerging-world manufacture of the the new G310R with TVS in India. Cost of doing business in a developing country. There is a learning curve.

DCMoney

Country flag
I was just in a meeting last week about our tolerances on our title blocks at work and how loose they were. Told them if I can hold to a thousandth on an 40 year old lathe with no DRO we should expect the same from the shop where its needed. Compromised and got 3 decimals to plus minus five thousandths...

Ryanthegreat1

I have mine apart, I will go measure. Will caliper accuracy be sufficient? I seem to recall 32.x mm when I made my spacer. That and the mount ears had some taper to them.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I have mine apart, I will go measure. Will caliper accuracy be sufficient? I seem to recall 32.x mm when I made my spacer. That and the mount ears had some taper to them.

It probably would be to measure the shock, but for the swingarm you'd need a snap telescopic snap gauge to get the measurement, and then a micrometer to measure accurately... or at least that's the most likely means of getting an accurate measurement. In any event, what I did was measure the R6 shock bottom and then measured the OEM shock bottom. The difference was then computed to determine what size bushings were needed. The OEM shock bottom I measured at 31.85mm, and the R6 at 30.10mm. So, 31.85 - 30.10 == 1.75mm difference. So, I needed to make two bushings, each 0.875mm wide, or otherwise known as 0.034". A human hair is typically between 0.002" (blonde) and 0.004" (black) so we are talking the width of about 12 human hair widths difference for each side... but again, for a machinist that aims to hole 0.001" inch, that's a MILE.

I agree that 0.005" tolerance is a pretty big tolerance, but I've done more than my share of +-0.005" jobs that 0.010" is not THAT big of a deal. That's a pretty good sized margin sure, but it's tolerable... but SEVENTY THOUSANDTHS difference???? That's just lazy, deplorable, f*****g HACKSAW work! I could hit a 0.070" tolerance with a rusty spoon!

So I spent an hour making two sets of bushings that were each 0.875mm / 0.034" wide for the two customers, only to discover that I could have just as likely gone down to the hardware store, bought a few 10mm fender washers, and knocked 'em down to width on the surface grinder and hit 'em with some f*****g spray paint for rust protection.

So Bajaja is apparently using semi-skilled beavers for their machinist! A*******S!

beaver.jpg

Ryanthegreat1

Broke out the micrometer and took some measurements. I am getting between 31.875 and 31.905mm Then ends of the bushing don't seem to be parallel. On the top bushing, again not parallel, I am getting 31.780 to 31.805.

Chris The Welder

I got a kick out of this one. No excuse for that kind of poor quality control from KTM. Like DC said, If you can't come up with the number that's on the print, go home. Holding a thou can be done on any machine that's half way taken care of, unless you just don't give a darn.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Broke out the micrometer and took some measurements. I am getting between 31.875 and 31.905mm Then ends of the bushing don't seem to be parallel. On the top bushing, again not parallel, I am getting 31.780 to 31.805.
Ryan what are you measuring with? Calipers or micrometer? Electronic or mechanical? Are you getting repeatable measurements every time?

I only ask as MOST non-machinists, when they do have three types of measuring capabilities, tend to have the harbor freight special $20 on fake sale electronic calipers... and their accuracy, and repeatability, are typically... Suspect. :)

When I REALLY want to verify a measurement, I break out my Starret micrometer, calibrate against one of my standards, and THEN measure the part. Even the heat of your hand can vary your measurement by 0.1mm...

I've even seen some newbie machinists try to sneak by with placing a part in the sun for an hour or so, before handing it in to QA, if they undershot their dimension by a few thou! LOL

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I got a kick out of this one. No excuse for that kind of poor quality control from KTM. Like DC said, If you can't come up with the number that's on the print, go home. Holding a thou can be done on any machine that's half way taken care of, unless you just don't give a darn.
HEY Now! You buzz box solder monkey welder types don't get to make fun of the machinists! We only get to make fun of our own! ;)

c4e4b1f780866f6561d0422393951461.jpg

Ryanthegreat1

1-2" digital micrometer. Zeroing on a gauge block and going form there. Surfaces were all very clean. Checked several times in the same locations and got +/- 0.001mm. Built a few engines and setup bearing clearances with this micrometer set and no issues yet.

Sure things were not 70 degrees but tools and bushings were all at the same temp. Body of the micrometer is insulated in plastic but I still took care to handle things as little as possible. Checked my gauge block zero after taking measurements and it was still zero.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
1-2" digital micrometer. Zeroing on a gauge block and going form there. Surfaces were all very clean. Checked several times in the same locations and got +/- 0.001mm. Built a few engines and setup bearing clearances with this micrometer set and no issues yet.

Sure things were not 70 degrees but tools and bushings were all at the same temp. Body of the micrometer is insulated in plastic but I still took care to handle things as little as possible. Checked my gauge block zero after taking measurements and it was still zero.
Ok good procedure. Sounds like yer well trained for things and equipped. I still ain't a huge fan of digital whenever I'm taking measurements I really care about... But I get why folks use em for expediency. :) Guess I'm just a curmudgeon who was trained during a time when digital handheld instruments were total crap, so I still tend to put my faith in manual instruments...

That said I REALLY like using the DRO on the mill and lathe whenever I can. My X axis on my 14" lathe started acting up (I think the coolant screwed it) and having to totally fall back to only the dials on that lathe (my Monarch 18" only has dials) after using the DRO on it for the last six months, nearly daily, ended up strangely feeling REALLY weird! LOL

Treachery

Country flag
So, we've been working on the suspension for a customers bike here today.

{snippola}

A******S!!!!1

^^^^^
This. Is a rant.

We will probably see similar missteps when BMW begins emerging-world manufacture of the the new G310R with TVS in India. Cost of doing business in a developing country. There is a learning curve.

Nah. Shouldn't be that sort of learning curve. VW, BMW, and M-B did not accept that kind of "learning curve" when they started building cars in the US, nor Honda when they started building bikes. Nor Ford in Mexico or VW in Brazil. The onus for this falls on KTM corporate.

Last edited:

Ryanthegreat1

^^^^^
This. Is a rant.

Nah. Shouldn't be that sort of learning curve. VW, BMW, and M-B did not accept that kind of "learning curve" when they started building cars in the US, nor Honda when they started building bikes. Nor Ford in Mexico or VW in Brazil. The onus for this falls on KTM corporate.

Must be the Goldwing you are talking about? I think they moved that back to J-A-Pan.

tecknojoe

Country flag
I wish, form the bottom of my shart, that there was a way to send this information to Austria. They need to know there are some things that need to be fixed.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I wish, form the bottom of my shart, that there was a way to send this information to Austria. They need to know there are some things that need to be fixed.
You are making the assumption they would care. I fully expect that someone in the org does follow things like the forums and mailing lists. Some project manager out there is responsible for feedback from magazines, dealers, reps, racers, and owners... and getting that feedback to the engineers.

We've seen problems with QA for bearing lubrication, torque on bolts, head gasket failure, placement of the oil fill sight glass, crap welds on the frame that look like a brain injury monkey did them, machinist who have a tolerance you could land a 777 through, instrument panel where when switching to MPH doesn't also switch to gallons, the lack of a steering damper, suspension in the rear which is utter crap, worms and metal in the oil screens clearly showing during initial assembly of the motors a lack of attention, a totally perplexing front end which is COMPLETELY screwy and different from ALL standard USD front ends, a cooling system which seems to run on the ragged edge of overheating, footpeg hardware which requires removal of the swingarm bolt to change, and that's just the problems off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other issues I'm just not thinking of...

ALL of which have been identified, and have been met with a resounding and deafening.... SILENCE out of both Austria and KTM U.S.A.

Last edited:

tecknojoe

Country flag
IMO, KTM has always been a bit ignorant to the US market. I have been fine with that, it's likely small potatoes for them, and a lot of hassle. But if they have one person to get this sort of feedback to, they could fix a few problems with the production of the 390. Luckily for me, I've been replacing a crap ton of parts on the bike for racing anyway, so I eliminate all the issues.

bottom line is although the 390 is a great bike, it's putting a stain on the KTM name. Personally, I have a deep appreciation for quality parts, and it's one reason why I've bought numerous KTMs in the past. I would like to see a little bit better construction coming out of their indian branch, and if it were me, I'd send someone down there from Austria to smack them on the wrist over a few things.

Last edited:

ray

Thats a shame. Even though the "developing nation" reason is to be blamed, I blame KTM primarily. KTM is the only brand in India that has these many issues. The CBR 150/250s and R15/R3's produced here were/are of much better standards. Even BAJAJ's own cheap-mass-market line up don't have such silly issues. For some reason KTM India can't put together a motorcycle properly.