Major Clutch Problem

KTMGene390

So earlier today...I was in first gear with the clutch pulled in revs @ 8k RPMs getting ready to launch and all of a sudden my bike stood up in a 12 o'clock wheelie as if I dumped the clutch even though I did not release the clutch it was pulled all the way back to the bar and adjusted correctly. Now the transmission shifts very rough and with the bike in neutral starts fine but as soon as I pull in the clutch and put it in first gear it lurches forward and dies as If I clicked the gear shift lever without pulling in the clutch.

Clutch basket nut backed off? What gives? :(

Note: There is an excessive amount of metal shavings in one of the oil screens. Also, the required pressure to pull in the clutch lever has not changed.

green_bread

Country flag
Does the clutch actually disengage when you pull the lever? If the nut backed off, pulling the lever would basically have no effect.

KTMGene390

Does the clutch actually disengage when you pull the lever? If the nut backed off, pulling the lever would basically have no effect.

It feels like it disengages, I haven't pulled the clutch cover off yet. What else could it be if it's not the nut? Some kind of bearing seizure?

unicorn_violence

i just had the basket bolt back off on my RC, the lever looses any friction and feels like your cable has snapped and isn't connected to anything.

will26racing

HI New on here your problem with the clutch is the the inner clutch bush has seized inside the cluch basket or has welded it self on the clutch shaft that comes from the engine

KTMGene390

HI New on here your problem with the clutch is the the inner clutch bush has seized inside the cluch basket or has welded it self on the clutch shaft that comes from the engine

Yep. I am lucky enough to be getting some inside help. Thanks for the reply.

KTMGene390

Problem solved; the bushing seized solid to the clutch basket.

Thanks Chad for the advice! Thanks to Ari Henning as well for working on my bike and sending me the pic.

Attachments

• 7920.jpeg
    7920.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I told you that via PM, thanks for not mentioning that part :p.. Improper clearance and lack of oil groove to outer end of that bushing. Nothing new. There is an updated bushing coming from KTM, no ETA yet.

KTMGene390

I told you that via PM, thanks for not mentioning that part :p.. Improper clearance and lack of oil groove to outer end of that bushing. Nothing new. There is an updated bushing coming from KTM, no ETA yet.

Haha, thanks for sure! Ari relied on your advice and ordered the parts ahead of time. :)

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
You need to clean up OD about a .001'' and add oiling grooves to get both ends of the bushing, is what I'm currently doing...

D

Deleted member 452

Why is the Executive Editor of Motorcyclist Magazine working on your bike Gene? Doesn't Ari have his own 390 to work on and how can I get him to fix my bike the next time it breaks?

Haha, thanks for sure! Ari relied on your advice and ordered the parts ahead of time. :)

KTMGene390

Why is the Executive Editor of Motorcyclist Magazine working on your bike Gene? Doesn't Ari have his own 390 to work on and how can I get him to fix my bike the next time it breaks?

He saw my IG post, emailed me wondering what happened to my bike so soon after rebuild and offered to help.

D

Deleted member 452

I've corresponded with Ari after he posted the article about head gasket failures because it happened to me a couple days later. I also emailed him for feedback on using Crower Cams after I saw him tweet about using them since I was rebuilding my motor. He responded promptly both times but never offered to work on my bike so maybe I have an ugly face and no one likes me ; )

octaneguy

Seems I may have this same issue. I was lucky though as I was on the freeway when all of a sudden my rear wheel locked up. I heard a bang and some rattling before I realized my rear wheel was in a skid. I was lucky because I didn't crash and cars behind me stopped.

green_bread

Country flag

Any idea if this will be an official recall? It definitely SHOULD be... but so should a lot of other things.