RC390 goes on the Dyno this evening

The RC390 goes on the Dyno this evening for a fine tune at Olathe Suzuki in Olathe, KS. This is on a latest DynaJet 250 with eddie current braking and latest SW. Olathe Suzuki is and has been a certified Dynajet tuning center for many years. Their unit is typically conservative with it's numbers compared to some other Dynajets I've seen, including their previous Dynajet.

The Bike:
Arrow exhaust and mid pipe
KN filter
KTM Akro 9031 ECU update
Chad's PCV map for stock w/K-N and airbox lid removed.
Valve clearances checked
91 non ethanol pump fuel
DB killer out
We will test with DB in.
We will likely pour some VP T4 in for a test on the air lid removed map
On our SS SV650's would usually yield about 2hp and more acceleration.

We will tune for two maps. One with the lid removed and an alternative with lid in place (CMRA ULWGP requirement)

This was also posted on FB

DCMoney

Country flag
Awesome! Really excited to see what the arrow is capable of as it's probably the exhaust I will end up buying.

Ash797

I'll need to find you at the next cmra round and talk about everything. Aren't many rc390 racers yet.
Lol, several are in the RC Cup. There were at least 3-4 of us at the NOLA races last month though

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

ArkansasDave

Compared to the 30 ninja owners. Also you can't consider the cup racers as much since their bikes already come with a lot of stuff the street versions don't. So asking them about different mods won't work because they aren't allowed to do any.

reenmachine

Country flag
Compared to the 30 ninja owners. Also you can't consider the cup racers as much since their bikes already come with a lot of stuff the street versions don't. So asking them about different mods won't work because they aren't allowed to do any.

In my experience racing cars in the SCCA, spec racers are the best ones to talk to about speed secrets! ;)

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
You will most likely make more power with the DB killer in... with the Akrapovic on a cup spec bike my dealer noticed almost a full HP drop in peak performance, all other things being equal. Back to back runs with and without DB killer. I haven't seen the dyno data or an AFR map... that's what the service manager at my dealer stated happened. I'll be quite interested to see if the Arrow performs the same way, and how it's numbers compare to Chads with the Akrapovic.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
In this case they are all 14 yr old 100 lbs little jockeys that play by a completely separate set of rules. I'm hoping one of them will help me go fast.

<nitpick>

There are no age limits. There's a weight limit of the bike (141kg), but not of the riders.

KTM 390 Cup Rules

2.9.4 Minimum weight
KTM RC 390 141kg (310.8lb)
At any time of the event, the weight of the whole motorcycle (including the tank
and its contents) must not be lower than the minimum weight.
There is no tolerance on the minimum weight of the motorcycle.

</nitpick> :)

Last edited:

micahpearlman

<nitpick>

There are no age limits. There's a weight limit of the bike (141kg), but not of the riders.

KTM 390 Cup Rules

2.9.4 Minimum weight
At any time of the event, the weight of the whole motorcycle (including the tank

RC Cup Series is for riders between the ages of 14 and 22. http://www.motoamerica.com/ktm-rc-390-cup

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
RC Cup Series is for riders between the ages of 14 and 22. http://www.motoamerica.com/ktm-rc-390-cup

Not according to them rules. If an greybeard oldfag plopped down forms at registration, according to the rulebook, they SHOULD be able to register and grid. :)

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag

Sure enough. I stand corrected. I found an entry in the rules:
"6. Superstock Limited Licenses
a. Eligible for the KTM RC Cup class only.
b. An AMA Superstock Limited license is issued to eligible riders who have reached the
minimum age of 14 years and a maximum age of 22 years. A license may be issued up
to the maximum age and will be valid until the end of the calendar year."

Hadn't previously ever found anything in the RULES which stated 14-22... and considering we were debating rule technicalities, I decided I'd pull that tidbit out. But, yup, it's in there now. I'd previously looked, and either hadn't dug around enough, or it wasn't in there at the time.

Treachery

Country flag
You will most likely make more power with the DB killer in... with the Akrapovic on a cup spec bike my dealer noticed almost a full HP drop in peak performance, all other things being equal. Back to back runs with and without DB killer. I haven't seen the dyno data or an AFR map... that's what the service manager at my dealer stated happened. I'll be quite interested to see if the Arrow performs the same way, and how it's numbers compare to Chads with the Akrapovic.

That's a useful bit of data. I forgot to pull the exhaust when I installed the PowerParts hanger, and then when I tried to get it off it wouldn't budge. I bought a rubber hammer to encourage it, but haven't tried yet. I think I'll leave it in there; doesn't sound bad as it is.

<nitpick>

KTM 390 Cup Rules

2.9.4 Minimum weight

If what you said was true, G-Baby would be running MotoAmerica now. I have a 2014 AMA SuperSport rider who fits your criteria. MotorAmerica says no because She just isn't 14-22.

Last edited:
Dang. Dyno night was a bust. The New DynaJet SW on the DynaJet 250 went nuts and so we pulled the KTM off and ran a GSXR on the unit with same results. Phone calls and SW updates this weekend and we'll tray again next week.

I'll need to find you at the next cmra round and talk about everything. Aren't many rc390 racers yet.

Ash visited our pit at NOLA. Absolutely come by. I -might- be at Cresson end of this month. Definitely Cresson August 21,22,23 G-Baby runs CMRA Championship Endurance and all USNE Rounds. We will also be doing a test and tune next Saturday at Hallett (KTM) and again at Hallett 8-15 (SV endurance bike tune).

ArkansasDave

Ash visited our pit at NOLA. Absolutely come by. I -might- be at Cresson end of this month. Definitely Cresson August 21,22,23 G-Baby runs CMRA Championship Endurance and all USNE Rounds. We will also be doing a test and tune next Saturday at Hallett (KTM) and again at Hallett 8-15 (SV endurance bike tune).

Hallet is an 8-9 hr drive for me. I'm hopefully going to be doing a day at msrh soon though.