riding position

ratlab

been on the track 3 times in the last month and i can't seem to get body position right on this bike.i'm used to wide tires on liter bikes with big lean angles and a lot of hanging off.the tank gets in my way with tucking in and moving around.at speed,with the narrow tires,and not much power,i can ride around without extra body language.when i see photos it's like my first track day.i see others riding the bike the same way also.maybe rearsets and lower bars?what do you fast guys do?

unicorn_violence

well with good tires you can get some serious lean on the bike. enough to do this to your case cover and belly pan..
MXwTKzz.jpg

ffZCC1b.jpg

with that said, the name of the game is to actually keep the bike more upright, and lean far off and low. im somewhat of a newb so im still learning of my body positioning. here are some of my examples:
psnYzdb.jpg

Ps5S7Aq.jpg

this is with just rearsets but stock bars. the rearsets help with the positioning, but the bars definitely make me sit more upright. i have since changed to driven clipons though and im testing them monday. i think those will lower my chest and head.
the fastest rider in our class rides an r3 but its the same concept. he hangs waaay off the bike:
9U3VkQW.jpg

big_sur

Definitely rearsets and clip-ons, but as above, getting off the bike a lot to reduce lean angle is the game with these little bikes. Once the pace picks up, you'll find these bikes drag hard parts a lot if you don't work to reduce lean angle.

Same corner and pace, but you can see I'm using less lean angle and therefore not pushing as hard at the same speed by getting off the bike more.
13482933_1068828893200440_8263261985809653221_o.jpg

ratlab

me on big bike and lameness on ktm-rearsets for sure-get me up and over tank.

Attachments

• DSC00162.JPG
    DSC00162.JPG
    658.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_8455.JPG
    IMG_8455.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 131

mcycle1

me on big bike and lameness on ktm-rearsets for sure-get me up and over tank.

Just like you I am use to 600s and Liter bikes and found myself trying to figure out body position on the RC at the track. Before my last session a control rider recommended I get my head much lower and to the inside and everything fell into place. The picture is before and it looks like we both have a similar riding position. Hope you are enjoying the little bike, I'm having a blast and have increased my corner entry speed over the big bikes and I am trail braking much deeper than I have before.
32fdcb8b6b6ed65d327a1cc567830fe6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ratlab

Just like you I am use to 600s and Liter bikes and found myself trying to figure out body position on the RC at the track. Before my last session a control rider recommended I get my head much lower and to the inside and everything fell into place. The picture is before and it looks like we both have a similar riding position. Hope you are enjoying the little bike, I'm having a blast and have increased my corner entry speed over the big bikes and I am trail braking much deeper than I have before.
32fdcb8b6b6ed65d327a1cc567830fe6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i had a couple of guys on liter bikes use me for a brake marker and run off the track.one guy came inside of me and couldn't make the corner- i thought i had nowhere to go-waited and waited and as soon as he went straight on i still made the corner.i was amazed and it let me know i could go way faster.