Road America CCS Rookies Cup GTL Battle of 2 RC390 Cup Bikes

CCSRacer68

Video of the Rookies Cup GTL Race at Road America on July 5, 2015. Battling my buddy for 3rd Place. We both ride the KTM RC390 Cup Bike.[video=youtube;2jrDJZHPvRQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jrDJZHPvRQ[/video]

b0Xcrash

Nice! looked like a pretty good run. Looks like some pretty good smooth lines

What camera did you use?
The audio seems to be extremely compressed.....has popping sounds and some other distortion that sounds like a restaurant dish room going on in the background.

CCSRacer68

Nice! looked like a pretty good run. Looks like some pretty good smooth lines

What camera did you use?
The audio seems to be extremely compressed.....has popping sounds and some other distortion that sounds like a restaurant dish room going on in the background.
Thanks. Still can go faster. I am using the Drift Ghost S camera. The buzzing noise you hear is the windscreen. Still trying to figure out all the settings on the camera.

ArkansasDave

Did you unrestrict the cup bikes? How close did you get to the cup series leaders? What made you get a cup bike instead of modifying a street bike?

Looked like a fun race, the battles are always the most fun.

Ausracer

CCSRacer68, I give it a double thumbs up from Australia, Great racing, great footage. The best thing is you and your mate rode hard and clean and on the slow down congratulated each other, keep the spirit alive! TEN out of TEN.

CCSRacer68

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. :)

You'll get better at the starts. :)
Thank you for the encouragement. My biggest fear was stalling the bike. So, I was being conservative with the start. Gonna make a trip to the drag strip near me and make some practice runs.

CCSRacer68

Did you unrestrict the cup bikes? How close did you get to the cup series leaders? What made you get a cup bike instead of modifying a street bike?

Looked like a fun race, the battles are always the most fun.
ArkansasDave, we did remove the restriction plate. Our Laptimes were in the 3:14-3:15 average per lap. The series winners are running 3:00 average laptimes. Keep in mind most are 14-22 years old weighing roughly 120lbs. Both my buddy and I are pushing 190 average weight. That race was the third day actually riding my bike. No excuses I need more seat time on the bike.

I decided on the Cup Bike vs. Street version mostly of costs. to convert a street version to cup version would have cost me about a $1000 more vice just starting with a Cup Bike. I had to redo the the internal suspension on the forks and get a stiffer spring for the rear shock. TSE a local suspension shop did the work for me and the suspension is working great. Only other items I have purchased this far is tires, I'm running Dunlop Unbeaten 02 and now Alpha 13's front and rear. Also, (2) additional rear sprockets 42 & 43 tooth. The bike came with stock 15F&45R, and 44 & 46 tooth rear sprockets.

A nice surprise from KTM I received a 10X10 KTM RC390 CUP Series Impact Canopy.
10169332_10153089863040369_8098065734778981764_n.jpg

CCSRacer68

CCSRacer68, I give it a double thumbs up from Australia, Great racing, great footage. The best thing is you and your mate rode hard and clean and on the slow down congratulated each other, keep the spirit alive! TEN out of TEN.
Thanks! Ausracer. I'm not chasing any Championships just having a great time at the track and making great friends and making great memories!
818726.jpg

ArkansasDave

ArkansasDave, we did remove the restriction plate. Our Laptimes were in the 3:14-3:15 average per lap. The series winners are running 3:00 average laptimes. Keep in mind most are 14-22 years old weighing roughly 120lbs. Both my buddy and I are pushing 190 average weight. That race was the third day actually riding my bike. No excuses I need more seat time on the bike.

I decided on the Cup Bike vs. Street version mostly of costs. to convert a street version to cup version would have cost me about a $1000 more vice just starting with a Cup Bike. I had to redo the the internal suspension on the forks and get a stiffer spring for the rear shock. TSE a local suspension shop did the work for me and the suspension is working great. Only other items I have purchased this far is tires, I'm running Dunlop Unbeaten 02 and now Alpha 13's front and rear. Also, (2) additional rear sprockets 42 & 43 tooth. The bike came with stock 15F&45R, and 44 & 46 tooth rear sprockets.

A nice surprise from KTM I received a 10X10 KTM RC390 CUP Series Impact Canopy.
View attachment 910

I'm impressed, those are pretty good lap times on such a small hp bike.

I guess my math worked out differently or I just don't need an exact cup spec bike. I figured it will only be $2k for front cartridges and rear shock, $500 or so for body work, $50 for brake pads, $140 for SS brake lines. Not sure yet if I'll add a pcv and exhaust but that's only another $1000. That's only $3700 in extras while the cup bike is 5-6k over a street bike. Am I missing something?

Also as a side note I only went a second faster than the cup winners at barber and I was on an r6. Those guys are extremely fast.

micahpearlman

I'm about approaching the cost of the cup bike. The Cup is great value and in debate if I was todo it again if I would get a Cup bike instead. One thing is that the Cup bike isn't eligible for production classes in my club (AFM) so that would remove 2 choices for classes (250 and 350 production) and only leave me to be competitive in one class (formula 3) though eligible but uncompetitive in singles and 250 superbike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASM

I guess my math worked out differently or I just don't need an exact cup spec bike. I figured it will only be $2k for front cartridges and rear shock, $500 or so for body work, $50 for brake pads, $140 for SS brake lines. Not sure yet if I'll add a pcv and exhaust but that's only another $1000. That's only $3700 in extras while the cup bike is 5-6k over a street bike. Am I missing something?

I'm about approaching the cost of the cup bike. The Cup is great value and in debate if I was todo it again if I would get a Cup bike instead.

From personal experience, I can guarantee you that the CUP bike is the more economic starting point than building a street bike to the same spec. The WP suspension alone is over $3K, the exhaust adds almost $1k, let alone all the little things such as race screen, belly pan, tail, levers, lever guard, rear sets...

Certainly, if you use different aftermarket parts, the above certainly might play out a bit different...

CCSRacer68

I'm impressed, those are pretty good lap times on such a small hp bike.

Also as a side note I only went a second faster than the cup winners at barber and I was on an r6. Those guys are extremely fast.
I have attached the Cup Bike Specs Sheet with prices for individual parts. If you buy the Akra Exhaust from PowerParts it is $899 plus tax so over $1000 alone. Checkout the spec sheet. You're right those guys are pretty fast. http://www.motoamerica.com/sites/motoamerica.com/files/attachments/2015/03/ktm_rc390cup_2015.pdf

ArkansasDave

From personal experience, I can guarantee you that the CUP bike is the more economic starting point than building a street bike to the same spec. The WP suspension alone is over $3K, the exhaust adds almost $1k, let alone all the little things such as race screen, belly pan, tail, levers, lever guard, rear sets...

Certainly, if you use different aftermarket parts, the above certainly might play out a bit different...

right I agree if you want a cup bike it's better to buy one rather than putting all the same parts on a street bike. My point is you can get comparable suspension for over $1000 less. Exhaust can be had for half the cost of the Akra stuff. Especially with my sponsorships I can get stuff much cheaper. I'll keep track of my build list and costs then post it up when it's mostly done.

CCSRacer68

right I agree if you want a cup bike it's better to buy one rather than putting all the same parts on a street bike. My point is you can get comparable suspension for over $1000 less. Exhaust can be had for half the cost of the Akra stuff. Especially with my sponsorships I can get stuff much cheaper. I'll keep track of my build list and costs then post it up when it's mostly done.
ArkansasDave I agree with you. You can have a racebike comparable to the Cup Bike cheaper than KTM PowerParts! I received my Cup Bike mid April and not much was available for aftermarket parts at the time. I didn't want to miss the races due to lack of part availability so, I bit the bullet and bought the Cup Bike. I'm happy with the purchase but now on the search for less expensive aftermarket spare parts. Good luck in your build interested to see what you come up with.

ArkansasDave

ArkansasDave I agree with you. You can have a racebike comparable to the Cup Bike cheaper than KTM PowerParts! I received my Cup Bike mid April and not much was available for aftermarket parts at the time. I didn't want to miss the races due to lack of part availability so, I bit the bullet and bought the Cup Bike. I'm happy with the purchase but now on the search for less expensive aftermarket spare parts. Good luck in your build interested to see what you come up with.

Thanks for the info, keep posting vids of your races.