Shift Light Settings not saving - RC390

Bouncingechidna

Country flag
Hi all,

Created this account in hopes you guys could help me out.

I have a 2017 RC390 and have just tried multiple times to change the shift light settings for RPM 1 and RPM 2. I follow the standard procedure in the manual and am able to change the RPM shift light settings up and down, however the bike doesn't seem to save them once I do it.

I'll bump RPM 2 from 7500 up to 9500 and then let it sit and "save" the setting. However when I go to adjust it again it has reverted back to 7500.

Same thing happens with RPM 1, I'll try changing it from 700 to 7450, but then I'll go to change it again and it's reset back to 7000.

How can I make the bike save the settings I'm changing?

Thanks

TylerH

Have you done the first service yet? Mine would not save till after that.
The manual is not correct also, try youtube to see how to do it for the 2017.

Falkon45

Country flag
Yes. If they didn't do the service reset, it won't change. I had to do the service reset myself (shop didn't do it), and I changed my shift light at the same time. The "low" setting is still pretty low. At the upper end of the 7000s. The "high" is somewhere in the 9000s.

John390

did you for sure "save"it?

I couldn't even get my clock to set if I didn't save it after. Exactly follow the instructions.

I cannot even get into the menu for changing the shift lights, so if you can access that part of the menu, then the thing is allowing you in.

Tom

The display is hardcoded to unlock shift light settings at 621 miles, regardless of whether or not the bike has been serviced. You have to use the 2018 manual’s instructions. It’s similar to prev. gens, but you have to press the mode and set buttons at the same time once you select the RPM. As soon as you do this, the RPM setting will disappear and it will save.

Check page 81 on the online manual for a better explanation:
https://www.ktm.com/globalassets/pr..._bike_bed_18_3213778_en_om__sen__aepi__v1.pdf

Last edited:

Bouncingechidna

Country flag
The display is hardcoded to unlock shift light settings at 621 miles, regardless of whether or not the bike has been serviced. You have to use the 2018 manual’s instructions. It’s similar to prev. gens, but you have to press the mode and set buttons at the same time once you select the RPM. As soon as you do this, the RPM setting will disappear and it will save.

Check page 81 on the online manual for a better explanation:
https://www.ktm.com/globalassets/pr..._bike_bed_18_3213778_en_om__sen__aepi__v1.pdf

That did the trick!!

I never received the manual for my bike, so I was using 2015/2016 ones online assuming they were the same.

Thank you!!

Tom

No problem, I had a similar issue trying to follow the instructions on the 2017 manual that came with my bike. Turns out the manuals for the ‘17 models are a lazy cross between the ‘16 and ‘17 years and chocked full of errors.

I highly reccomend you save the ‘18 manual, as it has a lot of really useful torque specs in the back.