Exhaust decisions.

Fasteddy

Country flag
More subjective opinion, It was a nice sunny 55 degrees yesterday, and after going for a good romp I would disagree, Werks is already on so I am not going to swap back just for a back to back comparison but If Nels has his dyno at PIR this season I will definitely do a pull.

But yes I agree it would be interesting to see some data.

I don't however think I would have been going over 100 MPH uphill, not tucked, 6th gear yesterday if it was down 3 HP.....

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
More subjective opinion, It was a nice sunny 55 degrees yesterday, and after going for a good romp I would disagree, Werks is already on so I am not going to swap back just for a back to back comparison but If Nels has his dyno at PIR this season I will definitely do a pull.

But yes I agree it would be interesting to see some data.

I don't however think I would have been going over 100 MPH uphill, not tucked, 6th gear yesterday if it was down 3 HP.....

If you don't have dyno data on his dyno of your bike in stock configuration, to compare now it's not valid data....Back to back only with an exhaust change is how it should be evaluated. Not from box stock to an exhaust, filter, tuning device etc installed. Why I have shared/posted strictly exhaust change dyno data when evaluating different exhaust (Akra and Yosh systems), and Matt's exhaust data work as well, and then of course what I can do with them on said exhaust with tuning and other mods.

Fasteddy

Country flag
If you don't have dyno data on his dyno of your bike in stock configuration, to compare now it's not valid data....Back to back only with an exhaust change is how it should be evaluated. Not from box stock to an exhaust, filter, tuning device etc installed. Why I have shared/posted strictly exhaust change dyno data when evaluating different exhaust (Akra and Yosh systems), and Matt's exhaust data work as well, and then of course what I can do with them on said exhaust with tuning and other mods.

I agree,
"More subjective opinion,"
"But yes I agree it would be interesting to see some data."

You have access to a dyno etc. So.....

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Guys I can't understand all the negativity directed at this exhaust. There are many other complete crap exhausts out there. Some that are purely cosmetic, with zero r&d, yet you continue to focus on just this single exhaust. Is there some personal underlying beefs with the manufacturer or distributor? Because, honestly that's what it's starting to look like. I have zero affiliations with either company but I just can't understand your disdain for either.....

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag

At the rate we are selling these...... over the past few months it would seem a lot of guys just don't care about a Dyno Chart.

They like the sound
They like the OEM Fit and Look,
They like the top notch quality welds.
and they like the huge weight savings.

Guess, it's not all about the HP to everyone.

=maz=

Country flag
We are running the Remus pipe sourced through the KTM dealership here in Western Australia.

I have not Dyno'd the bike in stock form or with the new pipe...KTM mapping provided at the dealership with the pipe.
Just posting this as yet another option out there.

Old3

Country flag
I'm considering exhausts and would like the Werkes design the most but don't want the bike to be stupid loud. I'm a vet motocross guy and have been on 4t since 99, but my street bikes I like silent or as close as possible. I'd stay stock but plan on a resr shock and think I've already boiled the crap out of the original despite riding in frigid temps. (The bike was propoising at the end of my 2200 mile ride home in 30f temps).

I'm not afraid of adding snuffers to the Werkes, but us there a good tune for it yet it or as I've read, is the pipe length just too short to enhance the engines character?

The Akra with KTM Akra map would be my second choice I guess, not thrilled about hanging a can off the side or even spending the coin.

Then third, I had decatted several sets of KTM 950 cans. Mechanical baffles never needed repack, yeah, kinda heavy but they were tuff. Has anyone gone inside and pulled the cat? After that maybe just a thin heat shield could protect the shock from the lower levels of heat?

Thanks.

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
I'm considering exhausts and would like the Werkes design the most but don't want the bike to be stupid loud. I'm a vet motocross guy and have been on 4t since 99, but my street bikes I like silent or as close as possible. I'd stay stock but plan on a resr shock and think I've already boiled the crap out of the original despite riding in frigid temps. (The bike was propoising at the end of my 2200 mile ride home in 30f temps).

I'm not afraid of adding snuffers to the Werkes, but us there a good tune for it yet it or as I've read, is the pipe length just too short to enhance the engines character?

The Akra with KTM Akra map would be my second choice I guess, not thrilled about hanging a can off the side or even spending the coin.

Then third, I had decatted several sets of KTM 950 cans. Mechanical baffles never needed repack, yeah, kinda heavy but they were tuff. Has anyone gone inside and pulled the cat? After that maybe just a thin heat shield could protect the shock from the lower levels of heat?

Thanks.

We've got custom maps for most of the popular exhaust setups.

Our RC390 runs amazingly well with our WERKES Map installed on the PCV...... along with the WBC2 running the closed loop section.

We've got about 40 + customers running the same setup, and so far nothing but excellent feedback.

Old3

Country flag
But the noise??? Haha! Good to see you here!

How about out making it quiet too? The Werkes doesn't have a snuffer, right? And if I added one, or two, I'm thinking the packing is minimal due to packaging and it'll be that much quicker to blow out.

thinking a screen at the inlet, maybe another or a reducer at the outlet. I just don't want obnoxious noise. I did everything from pipe to pods on the N300 and regretted it. It was deafening to ride. My R3 is stock and staying that way. If it wasn't for the heat issue at the shock I'd not even consider changing it.

Thanks.

Old3

Country flag
Trying to find out what the difference is between the more expensive KTM Akra slip on and the "cup version" with pn

the picture of it looks to not have a pre muffler chamber.

thanks.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Trying to find out what the difference is between the more expensive KTM Akra slip on and the "cup version" with pn

the picture of it looks to not have a pre muffler chamber.

thanks.
The cup version comes with 90805999000 installed, same exact system as sold in Powerparts catalog for street bike. The xx9044 is not available in the USA I don't believe. I have only seen/used the xx9000 on my bikes, map builds and in catalog. The pre-muffler effectively ends the primary header length, I would be curious to see the difference in those 2 systems on the dyno.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Hmmmm, you think it would be a benefit then? In theory?

Possibly but probably not. Why the yosh makes more front side and peak torque (it's longer then stock). The 9000 akra had its homework done and makes the best peak hp and over-rev with all my testing/combos. If it only revved to 7k and made peak numbers at 5k then all that length would be fine. Also why the stock exhaust performs pretty darn well, same primary length as 9000 akra.

Old3

Country flag
Thanks, just trying to figure out why they would build two versions with just that pre muffler difference.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Thanks, just trying to figure out why they would build two versions with just that pre muffler difference.

My guess is to meet MotoAmerica noise requirements and performance. The 9044 is not available in the US, just verified on ktm dealer site.... Not to say you couldn't buy one offline and have shipped in, but I cant order thru KTM.

Fasteddy

Country flag
It sure would be interesting to have a level comparison of some of the various choices including the 9044 version, performance would vary but then so would the intended usage / trade offs...

Old3

Country flag
My guess is to meet MotoAmerica noise requirements and performance. The 9044 is not available in the US, just verified on ktm dealer site.... Not to say you couldn't buy one offline and have shipped in, but I cant order thru KTM.

Which came first I guess is my question. The non chambered version from Japan web bike, $600 shipped, but why would Akra even offer it?

Ginosaure

Db Killer for the Werkes

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and I would like to share the specs of my Home made Db Killer for the Werkes Exhaust.
First, I have to say, this exhaust is awesome, the quality, look, weight and sound are incredible!!
I simply love it!
The downside is, the noise level draw too much attention and I'm afraid I will get into troubles because of it.
I installed an M4 Street Slayer on my beloved R3 and the sound is simply great, but it remains civilized.
I also own a Ducati 748R with Termignoni Carbon Pipes, no db killer, it's loud when the throttle is wide open, but the remaining of time it too ispretty civilized.
On the other hand the Werkes is outrageously loud, measured with an Iphone DB application, it peaks at 102Db at Idle and fluctuates between 95 and 102, here the law says no more than 90Db at Idle! ;-)
So I started working on a Db killer and I finally achieve to build one that I'm happy with.
It does kill the Dbs a little bit with a peak of 99 at idle. Still not legal but it sounds less invasive while remaining very much more serious than the scooter like sound of the stock exhaust.
I just finished to build it, installed it and I'm happy enough to keep it installed.
Here are pictures of the Db Killer.

Attachments

• Photo 16-08-26 10 23 17.jpg
    Photo 16-08-26 10 23 17.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 265
  • Photo 16-08-26 11 14 00.jpg
    Photo 16-08-26 11 14 00.jpg
    693.5 KB · Views: 266
  • Photo 16-08-26 11 14 25.jpg
    Photo 16-08-26 11 14 25.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 237

SneakyOwl

I'm gonna go semi-offtopic here, but on-topic in reply to the thread title (what?):

Does anyone here have experience with any of the "GP style" exhausts out there? Are they as loud as the Werkes appears to be? Now I know that performance may be a bit sub-par compared to the longer pipes in the Akra and Arrow systems, but those exhausts look way out of place on the bike.

Spark Exhaust GKT0303D
Seeing as this actually has a pre-silencer like the Akra and Arrow, it might not be too bad.

GKT0303-1024x668.jpg

Amuro Racecrafts GP4
1048_P_1459647093030.jpg

SC Project
mqdefault.jpg