Packing Werkes Exhaust + Dyno!

Buildable

Hey everyone!

I've been fiddling with my Werkes exhaust for a while now. It was originally shipped to me with no packing whatsoever and when I contacted Werkes (through HardRacing) they said they would send me a repack kit.

I did that repack, and later on another high temp ceramic repack and let me tell you, when packed it makes the rc390 sound incredible! So good infact I cant think of another bike that sounds better! I may be a bit biased here tho! The rumble and backfire on deceleration is amazing and accelerating is no longer a noisy hassle. It makes the bike perfect, the repack just seemed to make everything feel so smooth!

However only for about 45m of riding...

Each time i've repacked the exhaust 45m later, the packing is gone... I'm wondering if anyone here has had any success in packing the exhaust or modifying the insides in some way?

I cant really pin down whats going wrong here. My thoughts are i'm not wrapping the core correctly, my mechanic suggested using wire to make sure the packing doesn't move around. Or maybe my tune is still running a little lean making the exhaust too hot. Could wrapping the pipes help here?

On another note, I thought this might be a good place to show some pictures of the guts of the exhaust for anyone interested and also the dyno results for the bike. The before and after might not be too useful because on both the bike is setup the same. Still it defiantly shows off the gains that can be made with an excellent tune! Its made a world of difference to my bike! PCV is worth every penny!

20160806_185112.jpg20160806_185050.jpg20160806_144719.jpg20160806_144705.jpg

mcycle1

Hey everyone!

I've been fiddling with my Werkes exhaust for a while now. It was originally shipped to me with no packing whatsoever and when I contacted Werkes (through HardRacing) they said they would send me a repack kit.

I did that repack, and later on another high temp ceramic repack and let me tell you, when packed it makes the rc390 sound incredible! So good infact I cant think of another bike that sounds better! I may be a bit biased here tho! The rumble and backfire on deceleration is amazing and accelerating is no longer a noisy hassle. It makes the bike perfect, the repack just seemed to make everything feel so smooth!

However only for about 45m of riding...

Each time i've repacked the exhaust 45m later, the packing is gone... I'm wondering if anyone here has had any success in packing the exhaust or modifying the insides in some way?

I cant really pin down whats going wrong here. My thoughts are i'm not wrapping the core correctly, my mechanic suggested using wire to make sure the packing doesn't move around. Or maybe my tune is still running a little lean making the exhaust too hot. Could wrapping the pipes help here?

On another note, I thought this might be a good place to show some pictures of the guts of the exhaust for anyone interested and also the dyno results for the bike. The before and after might not be too useful because on both the bike is setup the same. Still it defiantly shows off the gains that can be made with an excellent tune! Its made a world of difference to my bike! PCV is worth every penny!

View attachment 3186View attachment 3185View attachment 3184View attachment 3183

Thanks for the photos and the info. I am also running the Werks exhaust with a PCV. The combination works well but I get many comments in the paddock about how loud my little RC is. The tracks here in Wisconsin do not have a db restriction but many around the country do. It would be great if Werks or someone could figure out a baffle that could quiet it up a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fasteddy

Country flag
Try a finer layer of steel screen / mesh wrapped around the core, here is a sample of a dirt bike piece.
20160402_125051.jpg

Trae327

I just put on my werkes exhaust today... man this thing is waaaaay loud.. I wish someone would find a end all solution to make this exhaust a little less obnoxious. Looking forward to it so i dont have to sell it lol and i like loud stuff so thats saying alot.

Buildable

It was heaps quieter!

With the Werkes exhaust it can be pretty embarrassing to get up to speed, I usually ride around in 5th to keep the noise down.

Once packed you could go full throttle and the noise level was totally comfortable! I could sit in third at 60kmph and it was great! It still sounds amazing too, I couldn't stop laughing at how good it was!

I'm going to order some stainless steel wool packing and some basalt wool. Along with some stainless steel cable ties that were linked in here. Gonna cost a bit more than i was hoping, but hopefully worth it...

If anyone else is interested i'm ordering the packing from Best Mufflers & Exhausts Online, Exhaust System Parts & Repairs

Diploman

If someone can develop a reliable packing method that will civilize the way-too-raucous Werkes exhaust, maybe it can become a useful aftermarket alternative to the stock exhaust. This thread will certainly be followed with interest.

Trae327

I tried to put my stock exhaust back on today.. and yeah.. that didnt happen at all lol good lord KTM doesnt like making anything simple do they? ive had 4 ktms and its always something weird. I guess ill wait to see if buildable comes up with a good solution like you said

nhenneman

I've got werkes and PCV too, would be very interested if this works. ears will be ringing for an hour after long rides

Fasteddy

Country flag
FWIW,
My Werkes pipe has been manufacturer modified with a DB killer insert in the center section which has made it much nicer for street use, no packing. It also was ceramic coated as that is an option now offer direct from Competition Werkes web site. They are a great company to deal with with excellent service BTW.

Buildable

Im jealous Eddy!
Sounds like a great solution to the exhaust!
Packing is ordered, will hopefully have it in sometime in the next two weeks!

Fasteddy

Country flag
I am curious about the packing solution, I was going to tear into it my self and then talked with the manufactuer, I would have posted about it earlier but wanted to make sure it was ok with them to put up on the forum. It did change the tuning somewhat but I am street only so not so concerned....

Trae327

I repacked my werkes exhaust today too!!! it was pretty straight forward. drill out the top rivets, pull apart, pack, reassemble with rivet gun.. it took all of 45 minutes and WOWWW it made such a huge difference!! when i pulled mine apart it had no packing whatsoever. no wonder this thing was so loud. I used FMF 4 stroke cuttable repacking pad from my local dealer. it was $32. just roll it as tight around the core as you can and slip the can back on. super tight fit.. Ill try to post up a sound vid, but i promise it made a huge difference. it sounds exactly like a 450 dirtbike now, only meaner. no obnoxiously loud idle anymore. purrs like a kitten until you hit the throttle and it lets out an amazing sound. it also pops on downrevs now which sounds badass lol im running pcv, air box mod, and k&n btw.. DO IT YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!

Also, I rode about 3 hours today in the mountains and was constantly on the gas. still sounds the exact same as it did when i left. hopefully it lasts me a long time!

14889986_1433959456633756_6135513764418523832_o.jpg

Last edited:

Seth

Country flag
I repacked my werkes exhaust today too!!! it was pretty straight forward. drill out the top rivets, pull apart, pack, reassemble with rivet gun.. it took all of 45 minutes and WOWWW it made such a huge difference!! when i pulled mine apart it had no packing whatsoever. no wonder this thing was so loud. I used FMF 4 stroke repacking cuttable repacking pad from my local dealer. it was $32. just roll it as tight around the core as you cant and slip the can back on. super tight fit.. Ill try to post up a sound vid, but i promise it made a huge difference. it sounds exactly like a 450 dirtbike now, only meaner. no obnoxiously loud idle anymore. purrs like a kitten until you hit the throttle and it lets out an amazing sound. it also pops on downrevs now which sounds badass lol im running pcv, air box mod, and k&n btw.. DO IT YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!

Also, I rode about 3 hours today in the mountains and was constantly on the gas. still sounds the exact same as it did when i left. hopefully it lasts me a long time!

View attachment 3206

^^ badass! Thanks for the info.

Trae327

^^ badass! Thanks for the info.

no problem man! I think we have found a solution for the werkes! ill keep checking in and let you guys know how long this particular packing lasts. if it doesnt last long ill go with the spec-31 stuff.

nhenneman

thats great to hear! competition werkes just picked up a RC390 a few days ago and were going to do some thorough R&D on it with the werkes and I'm sure they will come up with a similar solution. definitely keep us updated on how this holds up long term

Fasteddy

Country flag
thats great to hear! competition werkes just picked up a RC390 a few days ago and were going to do some thorough R&D on it with the werkes and I'm sure they will come up with a similar solution. definitely keep us updated on how this holds up long term

Word travels fast....
When they picked up the bike for the R&D we disscussed the packing, was told they are using the highest temp spec available.