Packing Werkes Exhaust + Dyno!

CDN Duke

Country flag
I wanna say it's damn near stock levels (or at least how I remember it to be) but I may have lost some hearing since having it installed.

;) I laughed!

Yeah, I'm wearing hearing protectors currently. Talked to the guys at Bristol Core, the sample kit should be getting shipped out to me soon. I've got a track school day coming up and want to make sure I repack before that as I'm not confident about passing the sound check by then...

TomHertz

;) I laughed!

Yeah, I'm wearing hearing protectors currently. Talked to the guys at Bristol Core, the sample kit should be getting shipped out to me soon. I've got a track school day coming up and want to make sure I repack before that as I'm not confident about passing the sound check by then...

:)
Yeah I was going to go either bristol core or FMF, but with a holiday this weekend I made the last minute decision to get it done, so I got my hands on whatever I could locally.
I found it wasn't too bad riding conservatively at first, but that was just it - I had altered my riding style in order to keep the noise down, when you shouldn't have to. On the way home from work last week I overtook a nissan micra up the shoulder and I saw all occupants in the car visibly recoil in shock from the left side. Too much. Although manageable, as soon as the revs got past 5 or 6 under load it was just deafening, so I'd be looking to get it done before your school track day too, just quietly. (no pun ;)

robenever

Good news, I got in touch with Morgan Curtice at Bristol Core yesterday and he'll be sending me a sample of their latest Spec 19 fill and the Core Wrap to test out. I'll be sending them the specs on the pipe so they can advise on appropriate amount of fill. He's optimistic that their product will work very well in the Competition Werkes pipe and it's exactly the type of project they get interested in. He expects their materials should provide much longer repack times based on their extensive experience in this domain.

They will also entertain a group buy discount on the resultant package they'll put together for this pipe so before anyone else thinks about selling their current pipe, give this a whirl first.

My pipe just came back from Competition Werkes with fresh factory repack, new badge and center coated. I was hoping to get it out this week but with this latest dump of snow, it may be a couple of weeks yet.

View attachment 3612

I'm done for a group buy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robenever

I packed my exhaust with some FMF 4-stroke packing. It sounded awesome for the first 1500 miles. Now, almost 3k later its starting to sound very annoying. The packing didn't last very long so I'm definitely on board with trying out what Bristol core has to offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CDN Duke

Country flag
Just a quick update, just got off the phone with Morgan at Bristol Core. He's finalizing the sample kit and expecting to get it shipped out to me later today.

The fundamental component of the kit will be their Core Wrap product that will go around the core tube, secured with steel ties and which will help protect the packing material from the exhaust pulses. A critical aspect will be getting the right volume of packing.

I've provided external dimensions but on off chance anyone has theirs apart currently, would be great to confirm the O.D. of the core tube, assumed to be 2".

Bristol Core will offer an introductory group buy for a limited number of kits. Retail on these is expected to be about $60 so it will be a discount off that. I'll have the final pricing later today. In the meantime, can I get an indication of interest?

DeathFromAbove

Is there a reason why no one is using stainless packing?

Ive used it for my track car's muffler along with a few two stroke baffles. It quiets things down very well (can't make comparisons to the fibre stuff as I've never repacked with it) and lasts a lifetime. It's also a great deal less expensive.

CDN Duke

Country flag
Here's a photo of the Bristol Core prototype package in progress.

It will use steel wool combined with steel mesh, their Core Wrap product, wrapped around the center core then the appropriate amount of fill to pack. The volume of fill is critical to longevity, not enough will leave air pockets that will allow turbulence and damaging pulses to pulverize the fill which soon results in it all disappearing out the tailpipe.

image001 (1).jpg

CDN Duke

Country flag
I am interested, and for $60 would give it a try.

Sounds good Razor1. Price will be better than MSRP, not sure how much shipping is though... I'll post more details as soon as available.

Looks like we'll have a test pipe going to Bristol Core shortly for final fitment/packing volume checks.

CDN Duke

Country flag
Quick update from Bristol Core.

Duke forum member Hoover sent in his pipe that he had recently repacked. As you can see, after only 200 miles, the packing was already started to deteriorate around where the noise reduction insert is located in the tail pipe. Once there's a void created, the exhaust pulses becomes increasingly detrimental to the rest of muffler packing and accelerate the pulverization of the fiber. It'll empty out pretty quick and then you have a noise maker...

The critical component in this solution is Bristol Core's proprietary 'Core Wrap' product that helps protect the surrounding muffler packing and which I'm confident will greatly increase the longevity of the packing.

Morgan stated he'll look to set us up with an introductory group buy. I'll post up the group buy details as soon as they're available.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Kootenanny

Hmmm...this looks interesting.

I'm considering a Werkes exhaust, as I like the fact it sits in pretty much the same place as the OEM and exits in the same place (no side tailpipe). But, I'm not fond at all of loud bikes, so if there's a way to modify the Werkes so it's not much louder than stock, I'd be in.

psych0hans

Country flag

I'm considering a Werkes exhaust, as I like the fact it sits in pretty much the same place as the OEM and exits in the same place (no side tailpipe). But, I'm not fond at all of loud bikes, so if there's a way to modify the Werkes so it's not much louder than stock, I'd be in.
You could have a custom baffle assembly made for it, but it would neither be cheap nor simple.

CDN Duke

Country flag

You could have a custom baffle assembly made for it, but it would neither be cheap nor simple.

A Werkes pipe won't be close to stock volume level. The repack kit will improve longevity over the factory packing, keeping it better damped acoustically for longer but it will still be louder than stock.

Check Hoover's vids here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9XzLdx-Qrk factory packing getting blown out (after only 500 miles), pics below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYSA-eWWE28 repacked using Helix repack kit (already deteriorating before Bristol Core install as seen above)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtQB3YMZN1o Bristol Core repack kit

A6EEA87E-B695-4939-BC34-0B743A08A594.jpgA75D7337-540A-476C-B86A-8F57E4373EC4.jpg

TomHertz

Any news as to how the Bristol Core kit is holding up and/or on the group buy?
2000kms after repack and I'm feeling like the noise level is back up there again.. seeing people on the street jump when giving it the boot, babies crying, etc.

CDN Duke

Country flag
Any news as to how the Bristol Core kit is holding up and/or on the group buy?
2000kms after repack and I'm feeling like the noise level is back up there again.. seeing people on the street jump when giving it the boot, babies crying, etc.

I'll ask Hoover from the Duke forum to stop in here and post his comments. Simon indicated he didn't have huge miles on their bike since the repack but so far so good.

also got a sample setup I believe... anything you can share on longevity Ramon?

I got hold of Morgan at Bristol Core yesterday - he's been swamped with peak season and a critical team member out with an injury but said he'd have 25 kits available for shipment by end of this week. I will post up pricing as soon as I get it. I need my own repack kit before end of month for another track day planned for August 1st.

CDN Duke

Country flag
Production repack kits are now available from Bristol Core!

I'm just waiting on final pricing and will post a separate thread once I have that detail.

Kit comes with instruction sheet, drill bit, rivets and stickers.

I'll install mine on the weekend as I won't pass sound check at track day next Tuesday without it.
7aba173db7f554ffe37ac0857c999323.jpg
cccbbb0bf658e70cdcb2d32d18339ed7.jpg
5b4584d439babca69a882aa3e7d13aa2.jpg
8586ff6a1cd4074cf7a9641f6706922b.jpg