Packing Werkes Exhaust + Dyno!

D2M

Country flag
Unfortunate I am about as far from Cali as you can get, I am in NJ. Mine was custom tuned here in NJ.. It was tuned for the Acro system actually, the tune works extremely well with the MIVV as they probably have similar exhaust internal volume and length.

CDN Duke

Country flag
I repacked my werkes exhaust today too!!! it was pretty straight forward. drill out the top rivets, pull apart, pack, reassemble with rivet gun.. it took all of 45 minutes and WOWWW it made such a huge difference!! when i pulled mine apart it had no packing whatsoever. no wonder this thing was so loud. I used FMF 4 stroke cuttable repacking pad from my local dealer. it was $32. just roll it as tight around the core as you can and slip the can back on. super tight fit.. Ill try to post up a sound vid, but i promise it made a huge difference. it sounds exactly like a 450 dirtbike now, only meaner. no obnoxiously loud idle anymore. purrs like a kitten until you hit the throttle and it lets out an amazing sound. it also pops on downrevs now which sounds badass lol im running pcv, air box mod, and k&n btw.. DO IT YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!

Also, I rode about 3 hours today in the mountains and was constantly on the gas. still sounds the exact same as it did when i left. hopefully it lasts me a long time!

Trae, assuming it's still working well for you, can you confirm exactly which FMF 4-stroke packing you used?

They show 3 variants here: Products - MX - FMF Racing

The $22 price you referenced in another comment corresponds to part number 015302, 'pillow'.
There's a $27 'race packing', part number 015303.
A third cheaper $9.99 option which I assume is not the one you're using... 010590.

Trae327

the packing i used was the fmf "pillow" packing.. you have to trip some of it off and then turn it sideways.. when you turn it sideways it literally fits perfect into the can length wise. I sent you a message with some more detail.

Trae, assuming it's still working well for you, can you confirm exactly which FMF 4-stroke packing you used?

They show 3 variants here: Products - MX - FMF Racing

The $22 price you referenced in another comment corresponds to part number 015302, 'pillow'.
There's a $27 'race packing', part number 015303.
A third cheaper $9.99 option which I assume is not the one you're using... 010590.

Razor1

Country flag
I just repacked mine with the 11.99 FMF packing (010590), bought it before I read the above response. Major difference in sound, MUCH quieter and it sounds fantastic. I will report back with how it holds up. There was absolutely no packing in the muffler whatsoever when I took it apart. 2500 miles and three trackdays.

CDN Duke

Country flag
Good news, I got in touch with Morgan Curtice at Bristol Core yesterday and he'll be sending me a sample of their latest Spec 19 fill and the Core Wrap to test out. I'll be sending them the specs on the pipe so they can advise on appropriate amount of fill. He's optimistic that their product will work very well in the Competition Werkes pipe and it's exactly the type of project they get interested in. He expects their materials should provide much longer repack times based on their extensive experience in this domain.

They will also entertain a group buy discount on the resultant package they'll put together for this pipe so before anyone else thinks about selling their current pipe, give this a whirl first.

My pipe just came back from Competition Werkes with fresh factory repack, new badge and center coated. I was hoping to get it out this week but with this latest dump of snow, it may be a couple of weeks yet.

IMG_20170314_103017.jpg

Last edited:

Thetonious

Good news, I got in touch with Morgan Curtice at Bristol Core yesterday and he'll be sending me a sample of their latest Spec 19 fill and the Core Wrap to test out. I'll be sending them the specs on the pipe so they can advise on appropriate amount of fill. He's optimistic that their product will work very well in the Competition Werkes pipe and it's exactly the type of project they get interested in. He expects their materials should provide much longer repack times based on their extensive experience in this domain.

They will also entertain a group buy discount on the resultant package they'll put together for this pipe so before anyone else thinks about selling their current pipe, give this a whirl first.

My pipe just came back from Competition Werkes with fresh factory repack, new badge and center coated. I was hoping to get it out this week but with this latest dump of snow, it may be a couple of weeks yet.

View attachment 3612
Any news on the development of a package? I wonder if it will allow my bike to run at Laguna Seca with their sound restrictions.

CDN Duke

Country flag
Any news on the development of a package? I wonder if it will allow my bike to run at Laguna Seca with their sound restrictions.

I dropped Morgan a note today, haven't received the sample yet. I just read up on Laguna Seca - are you looking at 90 or 92dB limit?

My pipe was just factory repacked - it really doesn't sound that loud to me. It is loud, no question, but not overly so, really enjoying it actually. I'll measure the dB it's putting out this weekend with simple phone app for a baseline reference. With no disrespect to the guys at Competition Werkes, based on all the feedback that folks have posted to date, I'm not super confident on the longevity of the factory packing. That said, Shawn Ryan at Competition Werkes did indicate they're using a ceramic based material with 2300 degree rating currently. Not sure if that's same as they've always run or what they've switched up to...

Keep in mind, Competition Werkes will repack your pipe at no charge, you just need to cover the shipping.
They did me a great service in coating the center portion of the can, repacking and shipping to me in Canada for US$40! Ceramic coating is normally $30... I bought a clearance priced T-shirt, so total cost was $48 shipped back to me. So big thanks to Competition Werkes, great customer service!

Seriously, if anyone's pipe is too loud, it's likely blown out the packing, mine was empty when opened up. Get it repacked at the factory for free for now while we sort out the Bristol Core option.

Also, note that they do have a dyno tested PCV map available upon request as well. I've just switched up to Chad's Akra exhaust map, which is running great with the Werkes pipe so far, but I will take a closer look at the map I received from Ben at Competition Werkes and do some comparison testing once I get a map switch installed for my Power Commander.

D

Deleted member 452

Check out the timing values that DynoJet uses for this exhaust (You can download their map on their website). They don't use an open air box on any of their maps right now so I wouldn't use their fuel values but you might want to copy their timing advance for the Werkes pipe since it has up to 6 degrees advance (their other maps go up to 4 degrees).

CDN Duke

Country flag
Check out the timing values that DynoJet uses for this exhaust (You can download their map on their website). They don't use an open air box on any of their maps right now so I wouldn't use their fuel values but you might want to copy their timing advance for the Werkes pipe since it has up to 6 degrees advance (their other maps go up to 4 degrees).

Will do. I use a Macbook normally so will break out the PC laptop tonight to have a look at the 3 maps: Dynojet's, Ben from Competition Werkes and Chad's map for the Akra pipe that I'm now using. Should be interesting to compare.

D

Deleted member 452

If Chad developed a map specifically for the Werkes exhaust, I would use it but if you're using the map that he created for stock exhaust or another pipe, it might be worth adjusting the timing...

Fasteddy

Country flag
There is another user that was able to run the Dynojet software on his Macbook using the "parallels" window emulator, it sounded like it was pre installed on the Mac...

CDN Duke

Country flag
Yes, parallels works just fine with the dynojet software

I've got Parallels on my old Macbook - just tired of the $50 upgrades... plus I have my old Lenovo IBM ThinkPad 'tuning' laptop for just this purpose... can do OpenECU for the Subaru and Dynojet for the KTM :D

CDN Duke

Country flag

Just checked the maps - both of Competition Werkes' maps from Ben also go up to 6 degrees advance as well, one of which was developed with open airbox.

This initiates spark earlier for those cells if I understand correctly Is this pretty safe to modify?

D

Deleted member 452

Maybe Ben's an authorized DynoJet tuner (You can look up his company on DynoJet's website) since he's using the same timing spec.s. Tough to say if it's safe for your bike, elevation, gas quality, weight, and mods but it's definitely encouraging that DynoJet felt 6 degrees advance was worth doing with the Werke's pipe.

CDN Duke

Country flag
Maybe Ben's an authorized DynoJet tuner (You can look up his company on DynoJet's website) since he's using the same timing spec.s. Tough to say if it's safe for your bike, elevation, gas quality, weight, and mods but it's definitely encouraging that DynoJet felt 6 degrees advance was worth doing with the Werke's pipe.

Yah, looks like Ben @ Competition Werkes is... probably the source of the DynoJet map actually.

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 6.53.30 AM.jpg

Edit - checked my messages, Fasteddy's bike has stock ECU.

Last edited:

TomHertz

So I did this over the long weekend - I wanna share my experience and you can add my +1 to Buildable and Trae - what a difference! :)

Was a last minute plan two days before a long weekend so I didn't have time to source anything online. I sourced the packing from the same place Buildable did (post #8) after calling what felt like every muffler place in sydney and being told that either they don't sell the packing (?), or that they didn't know the specs/brand of the stuff they sold. I got the stainless wool for wrapping the core, and fibreglass matting (not the loose stuff) to wrap around that. The basalt wool was out of stock or I would have gone with that for its +200deg temp spec but they were out of stock. The fibreglass is rated at 650c (1200f) so I thought that should be right.. A few stainless cable ties from the hardware held it all in place.

Easy as too, I'd recommend it for anyone with this pipe. I'm an idiot and it took me under an hour. Drilled rivets, scratched a few speed stripes into the black ceramic coating in the process, twisted off end cap (it's cemented together), removed the two burnt pieces of toast rattling around in there that I can only assume was an excuse for packing at one point. Wrapped the stainless around the core, the fibreglass over the stainless and really packed as much as I could fit in there. Getting the end cap back on was a slight struggle but I don't want to have to do this again in a hurry so I got it as tight as I could... the strip of fibreglass was around a metre long, wrapping around the core 3-4 times.

As for the sound - massive improvement. Cruising around is more than comfortable now and I'm not drawing ANY attention to myself. I'm used to the 30 heads at the bus stop turning my way every morning when pulling out of my street but this morning not one person looked up. I wanna say it's damn near stock levels (or at least how I remember it to be) but I may have lost some hearing since having it installed. On the test ride I did have a slight concern it may be too quiet, and wondered if I'd done it correctly or packed it too tight etc, but then when I gave it a squirt rest assured she still barks like a btch on heat! =D

So in conclusion, I'd recommend this to anyone with a werkes. Don't sell it - they don't come packed properly. Idle is easily half as quiet as it was, and the sound is a bit deeper. Wide open she still screams. I can't say I feel any increase or decrease in power - feels the same to me.
I've been following this thread for months to see how other's jobs were holding up, so in case anyone else was doing the same I wanted to post. I will post back here in the event that the packing fails, so if I haven't posted assume all is still ok. Got in a couple hundred ks over the weekend and I haven't noticed any sort of degradation thus far.
Easy. Cheap. No brainer really.