Airbox Holes

The RC Cup racers were instructed by the AMA guys to drill a hole in the bottom of the airbox. Apparently the airboxes were fillng up with water in the rain event. Drill a hole at the bottom of the airbox on the LHS. The hole will allow water to drain out avoiding the engine 'drowning'. The CUP racers were told to put a piece of tape over the hole in the dry. I suspect that even the street bike riders should consider drilling a hole if they ride in the rain. Parillaguy

Treachery

Country flag
O-Kay...

If I envision the airbox correctly, the bottom of the box is downstream, or after the filter. Wouldn't that be a bad thing in terms of filtration?

RC_AB

O-Kay...

If I envision the airbox correctly, the bottom of the box is downstream, or after the filter. Wouldn't that be a bad thing in terms of filtration?

Yup, you are correct.

The CUP guys can get away with it since they are almost always in clean air. Us street guys are not most of the time so I wouldn't do that drilling mod. The snorkel for the airbox is under the passenger seat so it would take quite alot of water flowing in that area to make it to the snorkel, than down into the box.

mr-fabricator

drill hole and tape it up , if your out on a wet day and think you may be sucking in a bit of water just remove the tape and replace when home .

I doubt there will be many people running the bone stock snorkel so it a preventative mod worth doing , but granted if you run the snorkel then you should be fine

Treachery

Country flag
Yeah...I guess I don't have a clear picture of where I'd drill. I'm already considering an open airbox, so that makes two ways to get water in the intake...

rcamp

Don't think you have much to worry about if running an open air box with a K&N filter.
I have a Harley with K&N filter exposed to driving rain and have ridden 1000's of miles in the rain, with not even a hiccup.
I've heard that K&N's allow air but no water to pass through, maybe it's true.

SPG

I thought the AMA rules required the full snorkel and no airbox mods. How would they get water in the snorkel?

Running with the lid mod I can totally see it...
-Sean

Treachery

Country flag
I thought the AMA rules required the full snorkel and no airbox mods. How would they get water in the snorkel?

Running with the lid mod I can totally see it...
-Sean
Meaning you can see drilling the drain hole with the modded lid? The snorkel may be more exposed with the race tail, maybe?

SPG

I can see water running down the seat and tank cover, into the exposed air filter. The race tail covers the snorkel pretty darn well...

-Sean

ryandalling

Not sure with the race tail how water would even get in there at all.... solid plastic piece... seems waterproof... odd.

rick

FWIW, I was just putting my fender eliminator in this evening and the hole for the blinker wires in the tail is right next to the snorkel. If you put in a fender eliminator or remove the fender completely without plugging that hole I can imagine water coming off the tire in the wet and straight into the snorkel.

TwitchAlThor

FWIW, I was just putting my fender eliminator in this evening and the hole for the blinker wires in the tail is right next to the snorkel. If you put in a fender eliminator or remove the fender completely without plugging that hole I can imagine water coming off the tire in the wet and straight into the snorkel.

Thanks Rick I didn't think of the holes I left behind from the fender elimination. Btw I did my fender elimination using the stock parts and it cost me about 8 dollars for new washers and bolts.