JRi Double Adjustable Remote received

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I've purchased a JRI shock and will be testing it out, as well as the R6 swap option, hopefully in the next week (or so... weather, heat, and my ability to work up the fortitude to cope with the humidity hoving somewhere around 7 bazillion percent) and should be able to post my thoughts and impressions of the two options. Offhand I'm REALLY impressed with the JRI. My first thought upon unboxing was "Holy CRAP that's a LOT of preload!!!" but I adjusted the preload, and see it's just a shorter spring than I had initially thought. Other than that I'm REALLY impressed with the machining of the unit. As a machinist myself, it's incredibly easy for me to spot problems and criticize... not in this instance tho. Everything I checked and inspected is top notch! The JRi Double Adjustable Remote is really a well built shock, as I expected it to be. It's really nice when expectations are exceeded however.

8xjwQO6jbIWh_iXKsAMMKc4vsYv82Wh4lEqighFw3CA=w1504-h846-no

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Looks good. How much $?

The price list for the JRI has the double adjuster for $899, and $799 for the single adjuster. AFAIK they aren't making the triple adjuster for the RC390, tho that likely doesn't exclude the possibility of a custom made, which would likely run around $1400. I will likely be stocking and selling the JRi if, after putting it through it's paces, everything checks out and I like it... and my business insurance agent doesn't freak the **** out more than they are already.

grenade

Went out for a ride this morning with the new JRi double. While it was raining and I couldn't quite have tons of fun, the shock has an incredible effect on the bike. This shock is worth every penny.

bkruk

Went out for a ride this morning with the new JRi double. While it was raining and I couldn't quite have tons of fun, the shock has an incredible effect on the bike. This shock is worth every penny.

Great to hear as I have one on its way

Bagwell

Country flag
It may have been covered someplace, but if anyone has anything to add what about the difference between the Penske 2 way and the JRI remote? I hear both companies make great products, but wondered if one does something the other doesnt or anything like that.

micahpearlman

It may have been covered someplace, but if anyone has anything to add what about the difference between the Penske 2 way and the JRI remote? I hear both companies make great products, but wondered if one does something the other doesnt or anything like that.

I think gbaby knows more of the details. I assume they are of equivalent build and quality. My choice was made by my suspension shop (SuperPlush) as they have a relationship and experience with Penske

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fox shocks, Penske shocks, and JRi shocks share at least one common thread: Jeff Ryan. Mr. Ryan started his career in California working for Bob Fox as one of Fox' first 10 employees. Jeff went from Fox to open wheel racing to work with Indy cars teams and created suspension innovations still in use today. Next, Vice President at Penske Racing Shocks for 16 years. Today, Jeff is a partner and the Technology Director in the company that bears his initials.

I have owned, used, and tuned all three brands; and yes there are some similarities.

but the JRi advantage:
Reducing breakaway seal friction or stiction.
Reducing internal gas spring rate and rod force.
Reducing friction in running and side loaded conditions.
Increasing dynamic response in higher frequencies.
Reducing hysteresis.

I find the JRi tends to run a little higher in the stroke, requiring less ride height adjustment. I almost don't need to do an "up then down" measurement average due to so little stiction. More fine adjustment latitude. When I read the tire for fine adjustments, I will take one more click that I may not do with other units due to the tune moving the other way. Much lighter and easier to fit in to small space that is generally left for the shock. Great response in bumpy conditions. Every race machine I own now sport JRi. Even our 1977 BMW R100S vintage AHRMA super bike.

Yes, I receive JRi support. But everyone who really knows me knows I only run what works and is safe. I must say, also do like Penske. You can download the JRi Advantage brochure here if you'd like.
http://1ieqr8th9mh3xusgh9ntzgyfa.wp.../wp-content/uploads/2013/12/JRi-Advantage.pdf

Last edited:

Wa2fst

Country flag
The JRi also has a smaller rod and is a lighter design. As I understand a completely new design and the Penske is their normal usual design converted to fit the 390(laymans terms)

The JRi also has a smaller rod and is a lighter design. As I understand a completely new design and the Penske is their normal usual design converted to fit the 390(laymans terms)
The JRi shock for the 390 is a standard JRi design. But, it incorporates absolute correct stroke, extended length, and damping curves for the 390 suspension design. Not a different JRi shock design modified to fit.

Edwardp33

Country flag
I installed my JRI shock last night and went for a 30 minute ride. Holy Cow! What an improvement in handling. This new shock is either amazing or the stock shock is super horrible. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle but the stock shock definitely really is poor. Gonna do a 4 hour ride today and evaluate the street performance. I never ride hard on the street but my first impression is great.

Could someone please help regarding the JRi double adjustable shock? RC390 - About to purchase and the order asks if I want +10mm - or + - 10mm or just -10 can someone please clarify what this means ? I weigh 80 kg

Just want to get the correct setup when purchasing - any help would be appreciated

grenade

I'll second the phone call. He just asked me a few questions and it showed up perfect. Just a click here and a click there and this rear shock is absolutely perfect!

Treachery

Country flag
The killer about these for me is that I can drive over there in less than an hour. I have a preference for dealing with small(er) entities like this, particularly if they're local-ish.

You buggers are going to cost me $$$, I can just feel it.

bkruk

The killer about these for me is that I can drive over there in less than an hour. I have a preference for dealing with small(er) entities like this, particularly if they're local-ish.

You buggers are going to cost me $$$, I can just feel it.

Worth every penny!